It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Moves to Kill Portion of NDAA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is at least a step in the right direction. Although Obama claimed this bill did not apply to US citizens there was nothing in the bill that prevented it. I’m glad to see congress pushing to remove this portion of the bill so there is no more confusion.

Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO) and Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) have unveiled legislation in the Senate and House which would ensure that any individual detained on U.S. soil under the Authorization of Military Force (AUMF) has access to due process and the federal court system. The bill would repeal the provision in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 that requires the military to detain on U.S. soil any individuals suspected of terrorism.

The new bill would effectively repeal portions of the NDAA, namely those that allow for American citizens to be targeted by Executive Order:
link

Something to note: The two sponsors of this bill both signed the NDAA with all of its existing conditions. I guess their constituents gave them an earful about this travesty.

While this is positive news, I wonder what the government will come up with next. Hopefully we’ll have a break from the tyranny this year due to the upcoming election.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Glad to see we have at least a couple of free thinkers in the Gov. I hate to think all of our elected officials are actually sheeple instead of people.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

I think its fear….they need to fear us. After all, if they want to keep their jobs they must represent us, right?

Too many of these clowns get elected time after time with little accountability to their constituents. I used to wonder how they got away with it then I realized it’s because so many people aren’t paying attention and aren’t engaged.

Now that more of us are awake and active they can’t hide behind a fancy campaign billboard anymore. Now they’re starting to have to answer for their actions….finally!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I doubt they fear us currently. The power of the government goes way above the power of a few thousand people who can see through the cracks.

What this country, and this world needs is a global awakening and revolution. The current path of EVERYTHING news-worthy on this site is leading to 1 conclusion: The richest and most powerful will soon be the only ones left standing. The more I read, the more I realize how insignificant we are to them, how easily we can be synonymized with pawns.

I'm glad to see these members of Government making the right moves, but sadly we need alot more of them to do anything worthwhile to recovery.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

I doubt they fear us currently. The power of the government goes way above the power of a few thousand people who can see through the cracks.

You’re right…there are many who have deeply entrenched power but a few are doing the right thing. I’m curious to see how everyone votes if this makes it that far (it'd better).

What this country, and this world needs is a global awakening and revolution. The current path of EVERYTHING news-worthy on this site is leading to 1 conclusion: The richest and most powerful will soon be the only ones left standing. The more I read, the more I realize how insignificant we are to them, how easily we can be synonymized with pawns.

The elite will never outnumber us or be a majority. If they did, they wouldn’t exactly be elite anymore…they’d be average.

I'm glad to see these members of Government making the right moves, but sadly we need alot more of them to do anything worthwhile to recovery.

You are correct and I agree.

Thanks for the post!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
As you already pointed out, both of these fools already voted to pass the NDAA. Really, that is enough said. They voted for it.

I see this method used all the time in Massachusetts politics. This is what we call the JANUS method. Here is what they do.

#1 Vote for authoritarian unconstitutional legislation because they..
A) believe breaking their oath to The People is acceptable
B) the party hacks promise to bury them politically if they don't vote the line

#2 Blow-back occurs and the political base complains. If the numbers are high enough the politician panics and with flailing arms, runs to the office of the party hacks.

#3 The pol explains to the hacks that their seat may be vulnerable if they don't reverse their "opinion" and show that they are "with the people" on this. They ask PERMISSION to file opposing legislation.

#4 The party hacks, after calculating the likely voting line and determining these seats vulnerable, agree to the JANUS legislation. There can be no harm from it, as they already know there are enough votes to kill the bill.

#5 JANUS is successful in creating an illusion of opposition for the "politically in trouble". It allows them to vote against the established line if it can help get them re-elected.

"Trust Me"
edit on 9-3-2012 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

And really isn't this ridiculous?How sad is it that the government should have to fear their constituents.Yet once again "assault" rifles have their place..at least a few million or so.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Sounds like you have a strong grasp of how our BS smoke and mirrors politics really works.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 7thcavtrooper

And really isn't this ridiculous?How sad is it that the government should have to fear their constituents.Yet once again "assault" rifles have their place..at least a few million or so.

When I said they should fear their constituents I meant fear us voting them out!

Hey, at least a few of them have dislodged their head from their arse. We have a few hundred more to go!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I see this method used all the time in Massachusetts politics. This is what we call the JANUS method.

Term Limits!!!

We need to break up the concentration of power and rotate people on committees. We have to get the right people in first to break up this cabal and pass the needed legislation (very hard to do...hasn't happened yet).

Great post!

edit on 9-3-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Term Limits!!!

For sure

Term limits may generally improve our representation in the duly elected government. I'm totally for it. But we have two governments. As previously mentioned we have the duly elected government formed by the people. This is the court, the legislature and the executive. They are bound by a contract in which the words and intent are clear. Laws, rulings or decree contrary to the contract are null and void. Simple enough, right?

As it turns out, it's not so simple. On TOP of the lawful construct we have a usurper, unlawful, independent and uncontrolled government not sanctioned by the people. Its power lies in operating the money powers which are specifically reserved to Congress by the Constitution. In this way they have bought the political class that runs Washington, the economic class that owns Wall Street and the cultural class that owns the media. This government is a false mechanism controlled by charlatans, quacks, and hustlers. It has no legal standing under the Constitution. It is not accountable to The People.

If/when we do enforce limits on the legislature, the federal reserve board isn't going to care. It won't effect their sphere of power.

As a people we need to realize that we've fallen prey to criminals charlatans, quacks, and hustlers. Then we need to kick their collective ass to the curb.
edit on 9-3-2012 by METACOMET because: sp

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

You mean the 4th branch of government?

The CIA?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Excellent description of our current situation, METACOMET!

I’m in total agreement. END THE FED! Civilians should have NEVER been allowed to control the US taxpayer’s money (thanks WILSON!!).

I think kawika was alluding to the military industrial complex (I guess you could say CIA for short) when he said:

You mean the 4th branch of government?

The CIA?

That really IS the 4th branch of government. I’m still of the opinion that if we stick enough actual REPRESENTATIVES into congress we can create change (not Obama change but change back to the constitution) but I may be deluded! I don’t know how deep the 4th branch runs (none of us do).

If we FILL congress with actual ‘representatives’ then we will flush out the truth about the FED and the 4th branch, right?? That, to me, is the next step!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

If we FILL congress with actual ‘representatives’ then we will flush out the truth about the FED and the 4th branch, right?? That, to me, is the next step!

Watch that next step. It's already been a slippery slope down to this point and each step has already been tolerated by the people. You're gonna need a ladder.
Seriously though, speaking of electing representatives who will follow the constitution is subversive speech. We are supposed to be talking about whether we want to become either a servile dependent or, dare I dream, a criminal predator who the rest call master. Oh, how I'd love to be an Alpha!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

How about killing the whole damn thing?

Obama signing it,makes a mockery of the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Watch that next step. It's already been a slippery slope down to this point and each step has already been tolerated by the people. You're gonna need a ladder.

The way I see it we’ve got OWS on the left (though they claim not to be) and the Tea Party on the right (and proud to be). The government is off in left field (unknown forces). If something doesn’t happen this year ‘constitutionally’ from the PEOPLE then we may see some serious CIVIL UNREST (BIG paradigm shift).

I’m NOT advocating….just predicting!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Dude, just be proud that we have sacrificed our "liberties" for the benefit of the Fatherland.

They just passed the NDAA. There is no intention of repealing any of it. This legislation is just a game.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
reply to post by sonnny1

Dude, just be proud that we have sacrificed our "liberties" for the benefit of the Fatherland.

They just passed the NDAA. There is no intention of repealing any of it. This legislation is just a game.

I hear ya. A little "rumble" as it passes,just to say,we tried....

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The way I see it we’ve got OWS on the left (though they claim not to be) and the Tea Party on the right (and proud to be). The government is off in left field (unknown forces). If something doesn’t happen this year ‘constitutionally’ from the PEOPLE then we may see some serious CIVIL UNREST (BIG paradigm shift).

I’m NOT advocating….just predicting!

The Alphas have made predictions as well. The Ministry of Defense Concepts & Doctrine Center releases a report outlining the "future strategic context" every 10 years. This is their 2007 report. The report is password protected now, but if you google it you will find some news articles here and there. "Strategic Trends 23 January 2007".

www.mod.uk...

- Within 30 years implanted brain chips as standard for all citizens in developed nations

- Unchecked globalization that effectively ends the nation state

- Endemic unemployment, instability and threat to the social order

- A mass revolt on behalf of the middle classes of the developed world in opposition to rampant immigration, an urban under-class and the deterioration of social order

- The emergence of a "terrorist coalition," an alliance of belief systems that oppose the state

- The revival of Marxism as a replacement for religion in an increasingly morally relativist age

and it concludes...

- The perfection of neutron weapons that destroy living organs but not buildings.

Of course, these are not predictions as much as a "to do" list or self-fulfilling apocalypse.
edit on 10-3-2012 by METACOMET because: fx

top topics

join