It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy who made Obama "Hope" poster facing jail time for the image.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Surprised I haven't seen anything about this in the MSM.

Apparently, the guy who made the iconic "Hope" poster which became a symbol of the Obama campaign is facing jail time for copyright issues surrounding the image.

Shepard Fairey faces prison over Obama "Hope" poster

Fairey, 42, will soon face sentencing for breaking the law during and after the development of the design that was parlayed into a promo poster for US President Barack Obama’s first attempt at an Oval Office bid. The artist has already been in and out of court over the legality of the image he doctored to design his final project, but as Obama campaigns towards a second term in the White House, Fairey finds himself braving for a stint in the big house.

Fairey’s first admittance was an acknowledgment that he had lied about the image he acquired to develop the Obama poster. The AP had charged that Fairey had manipulated an image without permission, an allegation which prompted the artist to respond with a now-known lie that he actually was inspired by a similar but slightly different shot — one he argued was protected under Fair Use law. Fairey would later acknowledge that he made false statements and lied about the source of his image, settling all charges with the AP outside of court. Now, however, the government is seeking jail time for Fairey over his efforts in concealing that corruption.

Authorities attest that not only did Fairey lie about which AP image he used in developing his poster, but that the artist falsified other claims in order to support his own. In a recent statement filed by the US government, the country contests that Fairey “went to extreme lengths to obtain an unfair and illegal advantage in his civil litigation, creating fake documents and destroying others in an effort to subvert the civil discovery process.” Those are the charges lobbed by US Attorney Preet Bharara, who is seeking a prison sentence for Fairey for not the unauthorized use of an image, but his tampering of the evidence.

RT

You would think that all the good that image did for the Obama campaign would earn him some brownie points with the Justice Dept but, I guess the lenghts he went to to cover up which image he stole made it difficult for even the Obama Justice Department to look the other way.

You also have to remember that copyright protection trumps all in today's Amerika.

edit on 3/9/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
so...
what of Obamas false Birth certificates which have been certified fakes?

good for the goose is good for the gander?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Thank god politicians and people involved in the justice system never lie. Please get this outlaw artist and lock him up for good.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It's very interesting to hear more about this. I just finished watching the most recent Simpson's episode, and they were covering this whole fiasco in their usual Simpson way.

Shepard Fairey even does the voice for his character on the show. More info is on the episode's wiki page.
edit on 9-3-2012 by dyllels because: spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am surprised lying is wrong in America, considiring the obvious. People do not hate a liar, they hate a liar that gets caught lying.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

unless he makes large on it
thats heroic

edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I saw the title

Guy who made Obama "Hope" poster facing jail time for the image.

And thought, "Hmmm, for false advertising?"

Then read the OP and was disappointed that it was for copyrght issues.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Fairey is a notorious rip off artist.

See here: LINK

However, he won't get in trouble here, it's ridiculous to go after. I never though I would defend this hack, but on this image I do (and I don't support Obama either).
The image is changed enough, The picture could have never received the reception his image did. Before he got ahold of it it was just a mediocre picture. The photographer should be proud to have played the most minute role in history.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

well he and his peers wanted hope and change.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

However, he won't get in trouble here, it's ridiculous to go after. I never though I would defend this hack, but on this image I do (and I don't support Obama either).
The image is changed enough, The picture could have never received the reception his image did. Before he got ahold of it it was just a mediocre picture. The photographer should be proud to have played the most minute role in history.

I agree, although i believe him to be an artist. He just lacks creativity and this jail sentence will only put him in the media again so he can sell more posters.

Shepard Fairey, the Los Angeles based street artist who branded the name OBEY plead guilty last Friday to criminal contempt after he was charged for both destroying and fabricating documents in a civil suit relating to his infringement upon Associated Press Copyright laws. Fairey earned a lot of recognition in 2008 when he began promoting the Obama Campaign with his now iconic Obama Hope poster. In 2009 the poster gained national attention after Shepard preimptively sued the Associated Press seeking protection under the “Fair Use Act” after they alleged that the image of Obama in his poster had been taken from an AP owned photograph and began contacting him for compensation. During the preceedings Fairy admitted that the image he used was in fact taken from an AP photograph, only the photograph that Shepard claimed to have used was of a then Senator Obama next to George Clooney. Shepard claimed that he had altered the work and had used it in an artistic manner to such an extent that his use of the image was protected under “Fair Use”, a doctrine that allows limited use of creative property without permission from the copyright holder.

To read more click link

www.12ozprophet.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

This is old news, this guy was even on the simpsons, he's the obey guy...

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't feel sorry for him, it's common knowledge to not practically trace a copyrighted photo and make a drawing out of it if you plan on selling it, which he did, the issue is over the profits.

I wouldn't be surprised if obama pardons him.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I'm not seeing the problem here. The guy made a picture based on another picture. SO WHAT? I'm sure there are pictures out there of Obama looking in different directions and with different expressions ... does that mean that no one can draw a picture of him because it might look like a photo at some point?

Bah humbug.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It isn't so much the fact that he stole the pic, what got him into hot water was his attempts to cover up what he did. If he had been upfront about where he got the image, he would have probably gotten off with just paying some of his hardly earned dough to the AP for using their pic.

By lying about where the image came from and falsifying evidence for his civil trial, he subverted the justice process and that is the reason he'll have to spend a few months behind bars.

edit on 3/9/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah. But the current charges have nothing to do with the merits of the civil case.

He's in trouble because it seems he lied under oath, destroyed and falsified evidence. Those things will get you a CRIMINAL case...

What an idiot. At most, the civil penalties would have hit him in the wallet. This case could end up with something quite different "hitting" him in an area just under and down from the wallet....

ETA: Oops. Sorry. I see FtAnthem already covered the difference between civil and criminal penalties in his post right above mine.
edit on 9/3/12 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Haites

I don't know If I can call him a true artist. What he does is somewhat artistic, but it doesn;t require a lot of skill.
He takes images messes with them on facebook. Prints them out on big sheets of paper and then puts them up like wallpaper!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Allright!!

This country is on its way back to a little law and order!

new topics

top topics

join