It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Corps New Recruiting Ads. ( Shifting Focus)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well it seems My beloved Corps has decided to change their recruiting angle and show a new angle to the public. I think this was a good move for them to make. It publicly shows that Marines do more than kill. Marines have been present at most major disasters worldwide and always stand ready to deploy for humanitarian operations.

This photo is of my former unit. Many of the Marines pictured are friends of mine. Amphibious units tend to do alot of disaster relief and my unit has taken part in many operations, including relief after Hurricane Katrina.

www.marinecorpstimes.com...

WASHINGTON — They’ve long been known as devil dogs, leathernecks and “the first to fight.” But Marines, with their self-described expertise in “killing people and breaking things,” now want to promote their kinder side as well.

A new Marine Corps advertising campaign starting this weekend takes its cue from research showing today’s recruit-age generation is interested in helping people. So the campaign is crafted to show Marines not only as warriors but as humanitarians and peacekeepers; not only as courageous but also as compassionate.

Entitled “Toward the Sounds of Chaos,” the campaign seeks to explain that in an uncertain world, Marines “need to be ready to engage in whatever activity our country needs us to engage in,” Brig. Gen. Joseph L. Osterman, head of the Marine Corps Recruiting Command, said in a recent interview.

“That may go all the way from a combat-type environment, as we’ve been doing for the last 10 years, to what we did before ... emergent chaotic situations ... catastrophes ... natural disasters or failed-state-type situations where people need help,” he said.

Hopefully this will show some that there is more to the Corps than what meets the eye.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Didn't Eisenhower and Einstein warn us many years ago about the growth of the military complex?. I saw the air force ads on T.V. Creepy stuff, trying to recruit folks with images of military rescuing civilians from bombed out cities with strangely morphing aircraft.

They are just conditioning us for the visual. In Austin this past weekend the National Guard was used for crowd control for a Kite Flying Festival.

edit on 9-3-2012 by Witness2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I don't really know...

The next form of invasion/false flag tactics;

Activate HAARP, deploy the dogs.

Then again, that is only what came to mind, I come from a family of military men, though I have never served. Most are extremely noble people.. Albeit, many others poison the well.. Wells... Wells of units? Good catch, snf

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Many people don’t realize the work Marines do to help others here at home. Having been stationed in Hurricane prone N. Carolina, I can attest that Marines are often called to help the local community in Jacksonville and surrounding areas.

It won’t matter though…most here on ATS with a negative outlook on military members will quickly dismiss any positive message the Corps puts out. Their hatred and skepticism runs too deep to be swayed even by logical arguments, much less a fancy advertising campaign.

S&F

Semper Fi, brother!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Corps has been doing this for ages. It's about time we showed this side of what we can do.

It's a shame that people only want to see the worst in others.

Semper Fi !

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Take the uniform off if you want to assist your fellow citizen. I think it will be a much more peaceful cheaper route that way. I don't like the thought of public moneys being spent trying to convince us of how compassionate the war machine can be.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Marines “need to be ready to engage in whatever activity our country needs us to engage in,”

It sounds more like this:

Marines "need to be ready to do whatever their country tells them to do."

Sounds like unthinking obedience to me and that's never a good thing.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
cool about helping
there may be some "domestic" to deal with though
as in the recent " we don't need no stinkin congress, we got international approval".
Obama being president of the world at the UN and all
illegally
edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This is what you think of.

This is pretty much what it's like.

Is how you have fun during field day.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
[ Salute to the Marines.]

Leathernecks lead the way! Once a Marine, always a Marine, leaving NONE behind, in wars or peace.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The merging of military with civilian agencies is getting a soft peddle, but the point is getting the people to accept the military as cops soldiers and just about anything else they are ordered to be....
The embedding of reporters is a way of embedding everyone watching at home, and the empathy thus generated is fed back into the melding of the military into civilian settings till only one force will be used for everything....
It will have branches of service, but evetually all will be melded into one large agency
It makes control even that much more efficient...........................and yes, theyll all be wearing black.........

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
All of this hot talk regarding the hunt for the LRA throughout Central Africa neatly ties in with this ad. As does the image of the "AID packages" poised for deployment on the tail of the 130 on loaded onto trucks.

Meet the new role of the the USMC. Humanitarian relief. Thanks to the UN and the Responsibility to Protect.

“Where chaos looms, the few emerge. Marines move toward the sounds of tyranny, injustice and despair — with the courage and resolve to silence them. By ending conflict, instilling order and helping those who can’t help themselves, Marines face down the threats of our time.”

Plenty of chaos that needs a fixin' in Congo, Kenya, South Sudan. Wow! Now they are advertising it. The USMC and USSOCOM are going to be some busy beavers fighting in a whole new world.

edit on 13-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They're doing whatever they need to do to get more people recruited.
Even if it means showing the 'softer side of the war machine'

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

I've known plenty of people who have 10+ years in the Marine Corps that have never set foot in the theater of war. Just sayin'.

Oh, here's the new Lance Corporal chevrons that have been proposed. Mostly for POGs.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
S n F

Im a 1371 Combat Engineer and even though we are heavily trained in demolitions and counter to demolitions such as IED's and Land Mines we also do a lot of humanitarian missions, Just last year part of my unit was in the country of Georgia helping to build schools and hospitals.

Semper FI

And for getting more people recruited, the Marine Corp is actually downsizing and turning people away from it. Its harder to join the Marines now then to get into some colleges with all the things that disqual people.
edit on 13-3-2012 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Semper Fi everyone. Thanks to those who posted the videos. Oh how I have forgoten the joy of field days and endless fun in the big green weenie. And how awsome is the Silent Drill Team. Believe it or not those are some hard working Marines.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
oorah. and I love the picture. SO TRUE!!
and I thought that the military was trying to downsize? or at least that's what they've been saying...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

Well it seems My beloved Corps has decided to change their recruiting angle and show a new angle to the public. I think this was a good move for them to make. It publicly shows that Marines do more than kill.

First off - As a career Army Soldier/NCO and Officer all joint ribbing aside, I have always loved the Marine Recruiting adds as they were.

I don't know if the Corps is hurting for recruits right now but I know when I was assigned to Army Recruiting while recovering from wounds the Corps had more kids than they could possibly ever use. We got the overflow...

I think the Corps has always been able to fill the ranks based in fact on the very reputation of being those no-nonsense and at the tip of the spear - that and legacies.

The commanders of the various services would often lunch at MEPS and we would talk about why kids would pick one service over another - personally, if someone came to my office who I thought would appreciate the Corps more than the Army, I would send them over. Same with the Air Force and the Navy.

To me as long as they were serving I could care less which service. Plus I wasn't a real recruiter - I was there for accountability and something to keep me busy - not on the hook for numbers. Besides it pissed off the Battalion Commander of the unit to which I was assigned - mission accomplished!

The services all have their niche... The kids who wanted a technical skill would try the Air Force first or the Navy. The kids who were aggressive chose the Corps. The leftovers and those seeking a tour for the benefits mostly hit the Army. I love the Army but that is just the truth.

Times change and all - far be it from me as an O4 (and Army at that) to know what's best for the Corps but I will miss the Marine commercials they gave me goose pimples with their simplicity and straight forward nature.

Semper-Fi and De Oppresso Libre!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Yes sir, that dress blue comercial with the Marine fighting the dragon was pretty awsome. I must say my favorite ones have been the ones featuring the Silent Drill Team though.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101 Once a Marine, always a Marine, leaving NONE behind,

I call BS to the "Leave no man behind" B.S.

All the Military Men on this site say this line, some may believe it.

They also profess their undying love for Israel, and when I bring up the men of the USS Liberty,

They all get slack jawed and mumble some BS.

You Jarheads left men behind like they are a embarrasment to you, the men of the Liberty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join