It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator facing resistance over call for commercialized rest stops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

The local diners, fast food shops and gas stations that cluster just off the exits of America's highways are in a fight with the Senate over a proposal to commercialize rest stops -- a move they claim would divert traffic and suck their business dry.

The proposal by Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, would for the first time since the inception of the interstate highway system allow any state to open up side-of-the-highway rest stops to restaurants and gas stations.

Across the country, most of those rest stops are sleepy pockets on the side of the road -- consisting of little more than a bathroom, vending machines, parking and perhaps some brochures.

It's that way by design. Decades ago, Congress barred states from allowing commercial business directly along the interstate highways -- forcing motorists to venture off in search of food and fuel at the exits.

commercialized rest stops ?

As it is right now, the States must maintain rest stops and are not allowed to profit.

There must a lobby effort connected with this somewhere ?

Why put businesses out of business and then start new businesses ?
What would happen to the properties affected ?
(almost sounds like a Democratic agenda doesn't it)

Maybe Senator Portman (a Republican) is switching party loyalties !

The Dems have a pretty good track record of busting out businesses !
(unless this is a new bailout plan in the rough !)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
95 has commercial rest stops. Right along the highway there are massive plazas with Roy Rodgers, McDonalds, Sbarros, gas stations and loads of other crap.

They're like little malls.

Funny though that private companies wouldnt want government easing of restriction to interfere with their monopolies.

It's the same argument that has kept absurd "blue laws" in place in states like CT and NJ.

It isnt the big bad oppressive government that prevents Sunday liquor sales or keeps liquor in official state-run stores. It's the private groups who dont want the competition to wash out their business.

CT store owners fight plan to open Sunday sales and end minimum pricing

NH kills bill to open liquor sales to save "monopoly advantage"

It really is amazing how a person or group can push for liberty until it they hit the risk of that liberty messing up their corrupt advantage then it's all about "wholesomeness" and "protecting children" and other crap when the truth is it's just about maintaining control and an unfair advantage.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Decades ago, Congress barred states from allowing commercial business directly along the interstate highways -- [color=87FFFF]forcing motorists to venture off in search of food and fuel at the exits.
Based on this↑ statement, it seems that the author of the article, is in favor of this proposal. A bit melodramatic, in my opinion.

I won't deny that there were a couple of times when I was younger, and may have been pushing my luck, and had to drive out of my way, off of an Interstate to find a gas station. That was all my fault though.lol

If you just pay attention; Know where you're at; Know where you're going; & Read the signs.
It's not difficult.

Hopefully, this won't go through.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Love the rest areas in New York and the state of Florida!! I can't see how it would deflect businesses in the small towns, since no one stops there but to fuel up anyway. Maybe they need to move their gas stations to the rest areas? People don't drive through any towns when they exit for gas and if you're lucky the gas station MAY have some food there. Usually not though. Hmmm, just sayin..... post by xuenchen

new topics

top topics

join