It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ugandans say Kony film is 'misleading,' 'too late'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ProphetOfZeal

[Though she is semi correct, shes incorrect overall. They have had less than 100 attacks in the last year but in the last 6 have killed thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands. I also believe there is more to this than is being told, but i feel that is a bad example to be using as a video. There are some other great examples and articles within this post.

people and power, the LRA

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
If you thought them Arabs were bad.

You haven't seen anything.
They're going to be probably fighting the most racist people on the planet, tired of imperialism.

Wouldn't be surprised if captured soldiers get skinned alive.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
So the US is sending 100 advisors...is that what was said.....lol.

Rephrase to the US is sending 100 agents because the trauma those children have had is a ripe begining for programming.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I've taken a very cynical approach to the whole Kony phenomenon - I'm not saying it's a bad cause or anything, but it's fishy on so many levels.

Firstly, whilst the message is important etc., Kony 2012 is just another fad that appeals to Western guilt by making people feel like they care for the whole of five minutes because they've posted something political on Facebook. It's great that people are being compassionate and empathetic (but will most likely forget all about Kony by April), but at the end of the day it's not going to change anything.

Secondly, I'm beginning to think that the Kony video may be serving a more sinister purpose in reshaping people's opinions about foreign intervention. Following Iraq and Afghanistan, the concept of foreign intervention has become unpopular to say the least. What the Kony video is doing is making the idea of foreign intervention into a good thing - the video is laden with emotive language and mentions of horrendous acts of cruelty perpetrated against children, and after watching it people are left thinking why are we doing something about it? maybe we (and our governments, military) should go in there and sort it out!

So most probably the Kony/Uganda phenomenon will disappear in a few weeks, but at the back of our minds has been planted the idea that, actually, intervention of the US or European armies abroad might not be such a bad thing after all. And next time the governments are pushing intervention abroad, in, say, IRAN, maybe the masses will be more inclined to support the idea - much in the same way 9/11 may have been used to garner support for invasion of the Middle East.

This are my observations anyway

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
For ten years ago they had pretty good cameras don't you think?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Just to follow up on this, I found some more information for you.

Jason Russell considers himself a "rebel soul" and says his middle name is "Radical".

From a article on PMc Magazine's website March 2011. pmc-mag.com

An Introduction to JASON RUSSELL

1: Who am I?
I am a rebel soul: dream evangelist. I am obsessed with people. I tell stories by making inspiring movies that move people’s emotions, and then I take those emotions and transform them into action. My middle name is Radical.

And yes, he does want to direct a Hollywood musical...

3: Where are you from and where are you going?

I am from San Diego California with an upbringing in musical theater. I am going to help end the longest running war in Africa, get Joseph Kony arrested & redefine international justice. Then I am going to direct a Hollywood musical.

Also in that article he mentions an event they would be doing on April 25th last year. I followed the link to it & it was pretty much dead. But I did find a link to past event they have done. You can find that list here.

I can honestly say after reading all of this it's almost like this guy see all of this as his personal fairy tale. I understand the Ugandans beng upset that the film is "misleading" and "too late", but throwing this guy's "la la" attitude into the mix would make me very angry if I had lived thru the hell they have (and in many cases still continue to.)

OiO

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Calytrix

I've actually been thinking along the same lines as you. I noticed the bit where they condemn people in the past for not intervening, while showing Hitler, and it reminded me of this thread (also posted by daaskapital). It's an interesting time to be promoting military intervention given the current push for military intervention in Iran.
'2012 is not 1944': Netanyahu invokes Auschwitz in warning to Obama over Iran

For some reason I thought I'd see if Iran had any ties to Uganda...

Kampala (Alshahid) – In what pundits see as the growing relations between Uganda and Iran, President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran is set to visit Uganda on Friday for a two-day state visit, the Minister for Foreign Affairs in Uganda Sam Kutesa has said.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iran has pledged to help Uganda construct an oil refinery following the recent discovery of oil in the East Africa state.

Ugandan scientists will also be trained on petroleum exploitation at Iranian’s University of Petroleum Studies.
Iran- Uganda growing relations as Ahmadinejad visits Uganda

This was back in 2010, and Iran seems to have had ongoing relations with Uganda. Here is an article from February.

“In 2011, Iran was named the 26th largest economy in the world, with impressive figures in ICT access and coverage. As a country that puts a premium on value addition, Uganda is impressed by the progress Iran has made in industrialization as well as scientific and technological innovation,” minister Kiyingi said.

He hailed the Iranian government for the US$1.5 million grant to Uganda, which is funding the construction of the first phase of the Uganda Police Force hospital in Naguru which commenced in June last year.
Uganda hails Iran over technology

So do you think these "military advisor's" will have any interest in the influence of Iran in Uganda's largely untapped oil reserves?

Perhaps these same advisor's will advise to sever ties with Iran, and maybe send some more "advisors" to Iran while their at it?

edit on 10/3/12 by Curious and Concerned because: formatting

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

911 subliminal messages

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
BoingBoing has a great little summary of some of the things that are being said about this campaign.

African voices respond to hyper-popular Kony 2012 viral campaign

One that really stood out:

From award-winning Nigerian-American novelist and photographer Teju Cole:

Cole writes. "The white savior supports brutal policies in the morning, founds charities in the afternoon, and receives awards in the evening."
Ouch!!

There are many great ones in the article, it's a great read!!!

OiO

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Jesus Christ, there's like 100 different stories circulating about these invisible children people. I've never seen such negativity surrounding what appeared to be a good cause at first.

I don't know WHAT to think. How do we prove that the video is legit and what it appears to be? How do we prove this statement is true, that the Ugandans don't care about Kony any more?

With so much negativity surrounding these invisible children, I'm just gonna not pay attention any more...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

FOLLOW THE MONEY! It shows the truth! Its not the the Ugandans don't care they do and they want justice its just NOT the problem that they have now and have not for 6 years!

They are fighting diseases that is the main problem right now oh and a genocidal president! The money and the real issues that are happening in Uganda are how you prove if IC is legit or not!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

edit on 10-3-2012 by Lodewijkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
couldn't we just stay home and fix MK Ultra?

how about

Kissinger 2012
?
wlym.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
Enough with the raiding resources crying. Africa has been known to be rich with resources for decades if not centuries. Nobody is suddenly looking to plunder them now. If anything its more a strategic move not one based on raping and pillaging resources, but one of global positioning. You think China gives a rats about Africa. If anyone is plundering resources it would be them not the US.

kissingers plan for looting africa and the national security memo from the 70's
wlym.com...

not to mention the fact that many africans are wising up, and taking matters into their own hands, can't have them cutting into the 33% of global consumption by only 4.6 of the worlds population [usa] can we now?

The Shadow Superpower
Forget China: the $10 trillion global black market is the world's fastest growing economy -- and its future.

With only a mobile phone and a promise of money from his uncle, David Obi did something the Nigerian government has been trying to do for decades: He figured out how to bring electricity to the masses in Africa's most populous country.
For More
Welcome to Bazaaristan
Photos from the trillion shadow economy

It wasn't a matter of technology. David is not an inventor or an engineer, and his insights into his country's electrical problems had nothing to do with fancy photovoltaics or turbines to harness the harmattan or any other alternative sources of energy. Instead, 7,000 miles from home, using a language he could hardly speak, he did what traders have always done: made a deal. He contracted with a Chinese firm near Guangzhou to produce small diesel-powered generators under his uncle's brand name, Aakoo, and shipped them home to Nigeria, where power is often scarce. David's deal, struck four years ago, was not massive -- but it made a solid profit and put him on a strong footing for success as a transnational merchant. Like almost all the transactions between Nigerian traders and Chinese manufacturers, it was also sub rosa: under the radar, outside of the view or control of government, part of the unheralded alternative economic universe of System D.

You probably have never heard of System D. Neither had I until I started visiting street markets and unlicensed bazaars around the globe.

System D is a slang phrase pirated from French-speaking Africa and the Caribbean. The French have a word that they often use to describe particularly effective and motivated people. They call them débrouillards. To say a man is a débrouillard is to tell people how resourceful and ingenious he is. The former French colonies have sculpted this word to their own social and economic reality. They say that inventive, self-starting, entrepreneurial merchants who are doing business on their own, without registering or being regulated by the bureaucracy and, for the most part, without paying taxes, are part of "l'economie de la débrouillardise." Or, sweetened for street use, "Systeme D." This essentially translates as the ingenuity economy, the economy of improvisation and self-reliance, the do-it-yourself, or DIY, economy

www.foreignpolicy.com...

deny ignorance
edit on 10-3-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Joesph Kony isnt near as bad as Uganda's president, Yoweri Museveni. He has been associated with over 1 million deaths from genocide. Another Psyop the American public will believe because if you dont support it then you are evil.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

Some people here were also suspicious of the American intentions when they came because of Kony. They said that the Americans were only coming in because of oil.

But the US denied that
US denies interest in Ugandan oil

However, US attention began shortly after Obama was elected. There was at least one operation in the region such as the Joint operation carried out by Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the Southern Sudanese forces. It was reported in the news that the operation was supported and paid for by the US government. But like many others, it was not a total success since Kony himself escaped.
Garamba offensive in DRC

The Ugandan public generally has some doubts about the real reason for US military activity in the country and around the region. Like why do US marines come all the way here to help build bridges and protected water sources? Some people say that those are just a cover for surveillance or undercover operations. I guess it's just one of those things the average citizen wont understand but it's OK, on the surface at least.

As for the Kony film, it's a bit too late if all it's talking about is Uganda. Kony remains a problem where ever he is. There are still some news reports of villages attacked and children abducted by the LRA in the DRC and Central African Republic. They are few but still, just one attack is too much. That is where I think the focus of the film should be. What remains here is repairing the lives of those who were affected directly by the conflict. Those that were mutilated, those with mental scars.
edit on 10-3-2012 by Divinefavor because: Typing errors

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Unfortunately the machine gun preacher is all hype...another money making scheme. Children are neglected at the orphanage, locals want him gone. He never went on raids or worked with the army like he said. I know I know...I wanted him to be the real deal too...but he's not.

~is still a rose

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by arosebyanyothername

Damn damn damn! I want it to be true as well! This was ALLOT harder to find but it does throw up a block to start really looking at him to now!

This is 5 pages of info!
www.christianitytoday.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Oil isn't the only natural resource Africa has how bout gold, diamonds and other precious medals. So your point its mute as its just another on a mountain of them

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join