It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tour of Duty - Australia's Secret War in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hi All,

I wanted to share a fantastic documentary that i recently watched. This relates to the Australian SAS (Special Air Service) in Afghanistan and the war they silently fight.

Australia's Secret War

For the first time ever, Australia's most secretive soldiers have invited a TV crew to document them in Afghanistan.

This exclusive TEN documentary, over three years in the making, follows investigative journalist and four time Walkley winner Chris Masters as he goes deep into the field with the Special Air Services Regiment, the SAS.

The most comprehensive account of these elite forces in action, TEN cameras accompany the Special Forces on several missions inside enemy lines, including night raids on Taliban hotspots, to a high risk undercover operation to destroy a multi-million dollar Taliban drug lab.

Full Synopsis

I hope you enjoy the documentary and i hope it opens your eyes to Australia's contribution to the war on terror, whether or not we should be there at all.....

edit on 9-3-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Not to denigrate the "boys" but:

Is that the same Taliban created by zbignew Bryzinzky, you know the one that sold dope to the russians to draw them into Afgahnistan in the first place..?
The same Taliban that ambushed and killed football hero pat Tillman..triple tap in the face?

and then according to the army coroners turned out to be American special forces?

don't get me wrong Havic
the doc is very well produced
war is always facinating in a sic sort of way
sandf
edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

thanks and yeah i agree - you know what i say, seek a world beyond war

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I was under the impression our actual SAS soldiers would and never will speak to the media. Also have signed an oath never to be in the media. This is highly unusual for our Special Air Service forces, I've heard our other special forces in the Australian military that train with SAS soldiers, they remain quite secret about everything from there facial features(masks, balaclavas and goggles), name and training they have acquired.

Best soldiers in the world for a reason, if i was religious i'd say god bless them, but with there training death has to watch his back!

Edit:-
Australian soldiers deserve the respect for the war(it's a useless one sadly), and i think EVERY country knows we train our soldiers well. We might not have the strongest military strength in the world, but we will surely give any world military power a soldier for soldier battle if they wanted it!

edit on 9-3-2012 by SethGecko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I would also like to add one more clip to the thread.

This is a separate documentary but it also involves Aust troops in Afghanistan -

11 Days in Afghanistan -

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I find this thread a stark contrast to the John Pilger one linked in your signature. This embedded style of journalism is exactly one of the things Pilger is highly critical of, because the military dictates what the journalist can show so the journalist looses any shred of independence they may have had. I can't remember the original air date of this but it seemed to come right of the back of Obamas visit to Australia which was focused on our military ties ie dragging us round on this team America world police brigade. I remember it aired around Australia day which is a good time to bring this up as people are less likely to question our involvement when they are immersed in the patriotic rhetoric that time of year.

I don't have the proof, but based on other cases in the past, I think this is just more of the 21st century propaganda that has been rife in the U.S recently. It seems to be emotionally targeted at the audience, to personify and foster compassion for the invading troops by portraying them like you or me caught up in mess they didn't ask for but will fix anyway.

I'm not sure of the reason for it but I suspect would be similar to theirs, expand the military industrial complex (ours does have plenty of room to grow), get a slice of the natural resources and engineering contacts pie, to set the paradigm in a new generation of Australians and to reinforce it in the older ones.

edit on 9-3-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

I agree, both documentaries are is very stark contrast to one another... I am not biased and will remain objective when it comes to reporting news and documentaries.

However i will say this;

There is some differences in the type of reporting in the doco's. The most recent ch 10 doco's are very factual and open compared to alot of the type reporting covered in the Pilger doco that covers UK and US reporting of events...

Also I will point out the very last comments on my OP -

whether or not we should be there at all.....

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

You do realize that Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire, right? I even posted a thread about it here.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CrashUnderride

yes, thats exactly what I said
and good about your thread

I can't see how stories like his and Jessica Lynch's can be ignored
it should be tatood on every chickenhawks forhead
three times

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Thankyou for posting these, not just for Aussies but for other people as well who don't realise we're even there.

I also just wanted to say, shame on channel ten and the circle for disrespecting our most decorated war hero. Shame on you Negus, Shame on you Yumi. Sack them.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

I was appauled by the circle and their comments!

Respect to our soldiers!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by Jace26

I was appauled by the circle and their comments!

Respect to our soldiers!

Exactly, you might not like war like me. But thats not an excuse to abuse one of Australia's best. I'm so glad knowing a lot of their sponsers have now dumped them.

new topics

top topics

join