It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli women join ‘Slutwalk’ protest movement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Last year, a group of Canadian Women started the "slutwalk" movement.

This year, some Israeli women are joining the cause with a march next week in Tel Aviv.

The theme is in protest of police comments
"that if women want to avoid being attacked they should not dress like sluts"

Other events are also planned for Haifa and Jerusalem.

03/09/2012 02:15 -- JPost, Israel

Less than a year after a group of Canadian women held the Slutwalk protest in response to a policeman’s comment that if women want to avoid being attacked they should not dress like sluts, Israel is poised to follow suit with its first Mitzad Sharmuta (Slutwalk) next week.

“The problem here is that rape is often seen as being the fault of the woman and during court cases or investigations there is always reference to how many partners she might have had in the past or how she was dressed, but that is just not relevant,” Ya’ara Liebermann-Callif, one of the women involved in organizing next Friday’s Slutwalk in Tel Aviv, told The Jerusalem Post in an interview Thursday.

She pointed out that Israeli society is no different in its attitudes towards rape and rape victims than Canada, England, America or any of the other places where similar Slutwalks have been held over the past year.

Tel Aviv Slutwalk

Will Rush Limbaugh have a "commentary" ?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I think the whole slut walk movement is retarded. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I think the whole slut walk movement is retarded. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Seconded. No wonder really that the Feminist movement has been given a bad name. They could be fighting for the rights of genuinely oppressed women, instead they are fighting for the rights of women to flash their trash. One step forward, twenty paces back.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
The theme is in protest of police comments
"that if women want to avoid being attacked they should not dress like sluts"

Well, there is some truth to that comment.

In the ideal world, women could dress as skimpy as they please and everyone would be on their best behaviour.

But the raw facts are, there are men out there who like raping women. Dressing "like a slut" and expecting these people to behave themselves is a bit delusional.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I am disappointed to see the usual; insensitive, women haters and the ignorant replying to this thread, showing us your bottoms.

Myth: Women who dress sexy are more likely to be raped. Fact: The way you dress has nothing to do with being raped. Rape is not about sexual attraction it is about power and control. Women who dress in baggy clothes that cover their bodies are just as likely to be raped. Rape is a crime of opportunity, NOT desire.

azrapeprevention.org...

edit on 9-3-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I am disappointed to see the usual; insensitive, women haters and the ignorant replying to this thread, showing us your bottoms.

Myth: Women who dress sexy are more likely to be raped. Fact: The way you dress has nothing to do with being raped. Rape is not about sexual attraction it is about power and control. Women who dress in baggy clothes that cover their bodies are just as likely to be raped. Rape is a crime of opportunity, NOT desire.

True, in some cases of rape. In the case of stranger rape, which forms the minority of all rape cases, it is generally the more demure, passive women that are targetted. They are selected primarily on their appearance of submissiveness, the appearance of looking as though they will not fight back. Body language is key also, as is general attentiveness when approached by strangers, women who seem distracted, or are occupied by mobile phones etc, are equally likely to be targetted, but dressing in a provocative way is unlikely to be the reason why they are chosen, even if they are wearing such revealing clothes, it is merely coincidental.

The most common forms of rape, those termed 'date rape', rape against prostitutes, and in some circumstances, marital rape, are more likely to involve a misreading of numerous factors which lead to the perpetrator believing (or choosing to believe) that the victim is consenting due to their suggestive attire or to project upon the victim, that they are asking for it, and in which case, revealing or provocative clothing will enable to perpetrator to justify the attack.

No rape is ever the victims fault, but that is not to say that we cannot do as much as we can to ensure that we educate young women as to the dangers of certain behaviour in order to prevent those rapes from occuring at all. Men in such cases are often nurtured into the belief that women are either angels or sluts, this isn't right, but neither is ignoring that those misconceptions exist amongst some men and allowing young women to make the mistake of thinking that how they dress and behave will not at times, if they do not take care, endanger them.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

You make an excellent point. We do need to teach young women how keep from being victims.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

It's an abdication of personal responsibility, aside from anything else. While I agree that it absolutely is NOT a woman's fault if a man rapes her, I don't advocate women using that as license to dress half naked or otherwise deliberately behave provocatively, as well.

The problem with this is that some (not all) women want everything their own way. There can be a desire to be deliberately provocative, and then power trip from the ability to turn men down after they express interest; which in my own mind is nothing but vindictive.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

I'm disappointed to see someone spewing this tired, cliched crap, about how people should be permitted to do literally whatever they like on the one hand, and then expect to be entirely excused from the consequences of their actions on the other.

Here's a thought; stop focusing purely on your emotions and the cultural Marxist tape loop running inside your head, and start exercising some actual lucid, sentient logic for a change. If there is one thing that is more offensive about this sort of political correctness than anything else, it is the fact that it is exclusively hysterically emotive in origin, and entirely devoid of rationality.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4 There can be a desire to be deliberately provocative, and then power trip from the ability to turn men down after they express interest; which in my own mind is nothing but vindictive.

Sounds like you have some personal issues you need to deal with.

There are public decency laws that all have to follow.

If you can't control yourself if you see a bit of cleavage, then the problem is You, not how a women dresses.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Suggestive attire does not mean a man has a right to enter a woman forcibly. The minute she says no it's NO. Got it?

Perhaps we should just put bags over our heads. Maybe that would get the message across.
edit on 9-3-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Suggestive attire does not mean a man has a right to enter a woman forcibly. The minute she says no it's NO. Got it?

Did I say differently? You know that boundary, some do not. Some men have a very low opinion of women. Some men when exposed to alcohol and drugs have flexible boundaries and an ability to selectively hear. I never condoned rape at any point. What I was speaking of, and if you had read more carefully, was about ensuring that young women understood that such men exist, and that such thoughts exist in the minds of those men.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I did re read your post and I understand you were just showing that many people do not have or understand the proper boundaries. Many women also fear a man's physical presence and believe that if they fight the man will kill them or beat them.

Woman also believe that in order to get a man to marry her, she must dress provocatively to get the man's interest. This seems to be in our genetic makeup, the same way animals engage in courtly behavior when mating.
Just look at the dress in the 1700's. Women showed huge cleavage as regular dress style.

Various methods have been used by women in history to accentuate breasts. For example, corsets that enhanced cleavage were introduced in the mid-16th century.[12] By the late 18th century cleavage enhancing corsets grew more dramatic in pushing the breasts upwards.[13] The tight lacing of corsets worn in the 19th and early 20th centuries emphasized both cleavage and the size of the bust and hips. Ball or evening gowns especially were designed to display and emphasize the décolletage.[14][15]

en.wikipedia.org...(breasts)

However, everything else was hidden under vast layers of material.
edit on 9-3-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
I did re read your post and I understand you were just showing that many people do not have or understand the proper boundaries. Many women also fear a man's physical presence and believe that if they fight the man will kill them or beat them.

I don't see how that is even remotely relevent to the OP or even to my posts in general. How each individual deals with a situation of rape is entirely dependent upon any number of factors, and cannot be generalised.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

sweet, i love the slutwalk. I dont have to go to the bar to find easy women. They parade down the street with signs. yay!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join