It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Why are Ashkenazis susceptible to Crohn's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The online journal Public Library of Science has published some findings concerning Crohn's disease.

The disease causes the immune system to attack healthy tissue in the gastrointestinal track, causing inflammation.

Breakthrough researcher has now discovered 5 new genetic mutations that will eventually lead to early detection and treatment, and (speculative) possibly a cure for Crohn's.

03/09/2012 02:07 -- JPost, Israel

American and other researchers have discovered five new genetic mutations that make Ashkenazi Jews four times more likely than other populations to develop Crohn’s disease.

The online journal PLoS (Public Library of Science) reported the discovery in its March 8th issue.

The findings, from a multicenter study, are the first step in an attempt to explain why Ashkenazi Jews are at significantly higher risk for the disorder, which is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Crohn’s is an autoimmune condition in which the immune system attacks healthy tissue in the gastrointestinal track, causing chronic inflammation.

Crohn’s usually affects the intestines, which are continually inflamed and thick, but it can occur anywhere from the mouth to the end of the rectum. In this condition, the body overreacts to normal bacteria in the intestines While it can occur at any age, the typical ages of onset are between 15 and 35. People at high risk include smokers, those with a family history of Crohn’s and Jews of Ashkenazi origin, but until now, the defective genes had not been identified.

Crohn's

Previous studies had identified 71 genetic variants of Crohn’s disease risk in people, especially Jews of central and eastern European ancestry. Peter and her team conducted a two-step genome-wide association study comparing 1,878 Ashkenazi Jews with Crohn’s disease to 4,469 Ashkenazi Jews without the disease, using DNA samples to evaluate their genetic make-up. The research team found 12 of the known risk variants, but also discovered five new genetic risk regions on chromosomes (5q21.1, 2p15, 8q21.11, 10q26.3 and 11q12.1).

I wonder if gene therapy is being researched ?

edit on Mar-09-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Wow. Thanks for sharing this! I have GI issues, as does my dad. I always thought us Jews were more likely to have a variety of illnesses because we worry and kvetch about everything

Right now they are debating on what lower GI disease I have now. It is almost impossible to figure that out in me - they might as well start a new disease file on me. I no longer have my stomach, gallbladder, and sections of my upper intestines. Before all that was removed I had food allergies, GERD, IBS/IBD, and so on. Once they removed things it only got worse.

But just like my family history of early heart disease, poor immune systems, and other stress-induced ailments, I always figured it was the stress/anxiety we have from worrying. Why do we worry so much? Because someone is always out to get us!

(I was raised Orthodox Jewish, my family is still much the same, but I am in no way a practicing Jew anymore - it is ethnicity to me, nothing more)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Thanks for contributing and sorry for your problems.

Many ethnic related diseases exist.

Science has made a lot of progress over the decades.

You may want to check this out further,
and even bring some things to the attention of your Doctor(s).

A number of genetic disorders occur more frequently in certain ethnic populations.In the Ashkenazi Jewish population (those of Eastern European descent), it has been estimated that one in four individuals is a carrier of one of several genetic conditions.These diseases include Tay-Sachs Disease, Canavan, Niemann-Pick, Gaucher, Familial Dysautonomia, Bloom Syndrome, Fanconi anemia, Cystic Fibrosis and Mucolipidosis IV.Some of these diseases may be severe and may result in the early death of a child.Carrier screening is available for all of these diseases with a simple blood test. ...

Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Diseases

also a google search for

"ashkenazi diseases genetic" will show some results.

Take Care.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
FYI - Most competent OB/GYN will do a full genetic screen for those more major defects before a woman tries to get pregnant if they are Jewish. I went through fertility treatments, so they did a full "you're a Jew" screening to make sure I was not carrying any of the more horrific ones (which I don't).

new topics

top topics

join