It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Google to Verify Predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hey all, found a neat trick and wanted to share with those who might be unaware.

When searching with Google, you can narrow your results by filtering out a time, such as past hour, week, month, or year. I'm not sure when it was added, but today I noticed a Custom Range option. One that allows you to set a "From" and "To" date to filter your search. As circled in red below...

Now, how is this useful in verifying predictions?

Most of us are familiar with the fitting of events into prophecy after the event occurs. A side effect of this is that when running a search to verify a claim, you're usually left inundated with results that are just as recent as the event being claimed as a "hit" is. By using the "To" filter, you can get rid of any results that appear after the event has taken place. Setting those results aside, it's a lot easier to verify who said what when.

Whelp, that's it. Pretty simple really. I hope I've shown you something that can help in the fight against denying ignorance!

edit on 9-3-2012 by Lighterside because: swapped image for better example

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside
Hey all, found a neat trick and wanted to share with those who might be unaware.

Now, how is this useful in verifying predictions?

Whelp, that's it. Pretty simple really. I hope I've shown you something that can help in the fight against denying ignorance!

Hrmm, using google to deny ignorance.

Syntax error in line 1.

end
*flashing cursor*

Umm... well predicting how people think, yes maybe... considering that is all it is. I bet if you refine it and google for cakes, you'll find a lot of cake recipes.

But it by no means is the answer to how to bake a reliable cake.

ps, 1 million questions do not make an answer.

edit on 9-3-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Hmmm, maybe I lost you, you certainly lost me.

The point is this. It is easy to find reference to a prediction as a "hit" after the predicted event has past. It's a little more difficult to find reference to a prediction claimed as a "hit" before the event took place.

For instance. I was using this to try and find a source for Ed Dames' prediction of the Japan EQ, which is claimed by Dames and others as a "hit". I was able to find all sorts of video and reference to this "hit" dated after March 11, I can't find squat for valid references placed before that date.

IMO, useful.

edit on 9-3-2012 by Lighterside because: typoh c orrection

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

While reading what you just wrote my facial expression was virtually the same as the one in your avatar..

Very good pointer OP.. much appreciated

edit on 9-3-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

But you cant mean to say you can use google as a source of future events?

You cant!! Anything you get from google is either already stored asn in the past OR as you say, a now search trend.

I think we both lost each other.. oO

Search trends are not predictions, but no more than a collective question.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by descendedstar
reply to post by mainidh

While reading what you just wrote my facial expression was virtually the same as the one in your avatar..

ahahahaha..

Obey zombie llama.

That made me smile, even if I am sure you meant it in a manner to which derides my logical disposition!!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

But you cant mean to say you can use google as a source of future events?

You cant!! Anything you get from google is either already stored asn in the past OR as you say, a now search trend.

I think we both lost each other.. oO

Search trends are not predictions, but no more than a collective question.

Nope not saying that at all. Thought I was pretty clear
Simply saying this is a way of looking back to see who said what when. That's all

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work. The results shows the dates of the sites which are in the results and they are pre 3.11.11 but contain articles written after it happened. It seems that Google only looks at the date on which the page was created and not when it was last modified/updated.

top topics

join