It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 7.1 Earthquake in VANUATU just happend.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
MAN I wish we had the hand clap smileys.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Good thing that this is not a statistical measurement...otherwise we could cut that 7.1 in half!

It's actually a logarithmic measure so it is much less than half the energy release.

One whole unit of magnitude represents approximately 32 times (actually 10**1.5 times) the energy, based on a long-standing empirical formula that says log(E) is proportional to 1.5M, where E is energy and M is magnitude. This means that a change of 0.1 in magnitude is about 1.4 times the energy release.

USGS

So the difference between a 6.7 and a 7.1 would be 2.51 times bigger amplitude and release 3.98 times more energy.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Ya...ya...thanks for the lesson...

Sample Size, n: 3
Mean: 4.6
Median: 6.7
Midrange: 3.55
RMS: 5.636193
Variance, s^2: 15.91
St Dev, s: 3.988734
Mean Abs Dev: 3.066667
Range: 7.1
Coeff. Of Var. 86.71%

Minimum: 0
1st Quartile: 0
2nd Quartile: 6.7
3rd Quartile: 7.1
Maximum: 7.1

Sum: 13.8

95% CI for the Mean:
-5.3086 < mean

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Interesting although I wonder what would be the correlation. The change in the magnetosphere affecting polarity or putting added stress on magnetic anomalies in the earth's crust? Does a change in polarities or strength of the field within these anomalies, act like two giant magnets pushing apart or coming together?

I don’t know if that happens at that scale or if I am not understand magnetic anomalies within the earth’s crust but this is just my theory…

edit on 9-3-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
6.7 vs 7.1... that's a BIG difference

Anyways the solar flares are over.. .this is speculation at best... I predict we will have an earthquake between now and the end of the day...

i'll be right you know

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

Well the flare is over, but according to space weather
we are getting hit right now by the strongest effects. KP=7.

*I'd start a thread on the actual Magnetic storm but it'll get closed.
I tried that yesterday. Even though many other threads w less variations
are kept open . Anyway the big hit is happening now.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
jaded and cynical is right about the energy released difference between a 7.1 and a 6.7

using the formula
tonnes of TNT released=(10^(4.8+(magnitude*1.5))/4184)/10^6

7.1 = 673609.68TTNT
6.7 = 169203.10TTNT

quite a lot, almost 4 times the energy. USGS are getting worse and worse at coming out with wrong initial magnitudes

at the time USGS had 7.1 the other Global Networks had;

GFZ 6.7Mw
Seisme.nc 6.6M
EMSC 6.8Mw
Aussies on the upside 7.0Mw

If USGS said there was a M7.1 under my house I wouldn't believe it until I had pulled myself out of the rubble and checked with the other Networks

I don't think a 6.7, at sea, in a area that has a M5 almost every day rates its own thread.
I know the OP is new to ATS, but why not go over and post it there Quake Watch 2012

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
been monitoring some reports here and using "earthquake 3d" free software program, that is client side that lets you view the globe and rotate it and set the timeframe and size of quakers for viewing...lacking for sure a few things like time of quake and depth of quake and other stat data, however nice to see in various views the fault lines and quake zones in this viewing ease.

Have plugin for fireefox to monitor earthquake action also, screen shakes based on size, so be careful with that one, cause it may cause some damage long term, as it shakes you up and you are not even there...or when you are it adds to the sensation

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I don't see what a CME has to do with earthquakes, our magnetosphere blocks most of the radiation. i'd put my money on this thing people call "Nibiru" that NASA named Eris being the cause, depending on wether or not it has entered the solar system or not. The last time that thing would have been seen would have been during the biblical person known as "Joshua" (Yahshua's) time which was around the death of Moses.

The earth's crust is floating on top of the Mantle. The mantle is basically an ocean of molten rock. One thing is certain the earthquake activity seems to be picking up and the pattern usually runs from east to west and maybe due to the side of the earth closest to the sun being pulled by the gravity of the sun or moon and possible both.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I don't see what a CME has to do with earthquakes, our magnetosphere blocks most of the radiation. i'd put my money on this thing people call "Nibiru" that NASA named Eris being the cause, depending on wether or not it has entered the solar system or not. The last time that thing would have been seen would have been during the biblical person known as "Joshua" (Yahshua's) time which was around the death of Moses.

The earth's crust is floating on top of the Mantle. The mantle is basically an ocean of molten rock. One thing is certain the earthquake activity seems to be picking up and the pattern usually runs from east to west and maybe due to the side of the earth closest to the sun being pulled by the gravity of the sun or moon and possible both.

I would think the theory would be along these lines:

Consider a ball of Jell-O with a bar magnet embedded within it. (This would represent Earth.) The magnet would produce a magnetic field that extends beyond the surface of the Jell-O ball. Now imagine another transitory magnetic field (the CME) interfering with the existing one around the ball. Wouldn't that cause some level of force and/or movement to the magnet which would in turn disturb the Jell-O ball and [ahem] make it jiggle?
edit on 3/9/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Vanuatu is the island that featured in the Meet the Native series? Seem like a great bunch, I wish them well

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

Haha yeah I posted in that thread saying it would probably be in Vanuatu. It's on page three I think.

Thread

Just a good guess on my part in my opinion...but I think I might go to the dog track tonight.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by descendedstar

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Thank you for your quick tsunami warning reply you just beat me to it ..

UPDATE from what i consider a reliable source Reuters

So far Reuters is stating everyone is safe with no damage being reported as of yet. God bless them
edit on 9-3-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

SYDNEY | Thu Feb 2, 2012 9:38am EST

Is that site having issues with dates?

edit: my bad, didn't read carefully
edit on 9-3-2012 by Bers81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bers81

SYDNEY | Thu Feb 2, 2012 9:38am EST

Is that site having issues with dates?

edit: my bad, didn't read carefully

No problem with dates, that's the news report for this quake:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, February 02, 2012 at 13:34:40 UTC
Friday, February 03, 2012 at 12:34:40 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
23.1 km (14.4 miles)
Region
VANUATU
Distances
124 km (77 miles) W of PORT-VILA, Efate, Vanuatu
251 km (155 miles) S of Luganville, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
294 km (182 miles) NW of Isangel, Tanna, Vanuatu
1803 km (1120 miles) ENE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 13.8 km (8.6 miles); depth +/- 2.7 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters
NST=551, Nph=561, Dmin=482 km, Rmss=1.23 sec, Gp= 14°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=C
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usb0007uiv

USGS

As reported in this post and discussed as a possibility a few days prior in this post by Muzzy.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I believe there is a connection between solar flares and earthquakes. I bet if we did a survey of how many 6.0+ and over quakes happened after major solar flares, we might find a positive correlation.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

You might want to take a look at this post, which quotes a geologist who studies earthquakes.

He has recently joined as a member and his posts can be found in the following threads:

Quakewatch 2012

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

15 years of magma inflation near Three Sisters, Oregon- and its implication for Yellowstone

New Activity at Mt. Rainier Confirmed to Be Seismic (...or ICE?), Right here on ATS!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Why is EDIS calling this a 4.7?
hisz.rsoe.hu...
Now that is a huge difference, right?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
I just saw that on the Live Earthquakes map and remembered the thread about an earthquake prediction within forty hours.
Any tsunami warning associated with the quake?

The forty hours expired at about 10:30 am EST , but he defiantly gets an A for effort and certainly makes one think about these big X class sun flares.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm almost positive, that this year before Oct, and since jan 2012, Cali will have their Big one, with all the People who live there now, the skyscrapers, the traffic, bad moods, lol, in general will be the time for them to get the fark outta dodge, they will have plenty of warning.

As for this one, kinda makes me wanna cancel my vacation to Hawaii this August...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
I believe there is a connection between solar flares and earthquakes. I bet if we did a survey of how many 6.0+ and over quakes happened after major solar flares, we might find a positive correlation.

No you are wrong. A survey HAS been done, in 2011. there is no connection at all.

here is a 2nd post with the graph, the original image is not accessible for linking to now ATS have modified the image storage

QuakeWatch 2012 page 7

edit: oh OK look at it this way
files.abovetopsecret.com...
the red letters and numbers are CME's (numbers are the numbers of cme's that day, the letter inside the [ ] brackets the CME class ie C, M, or X (no X class during that period)
edit on 9-3-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join