It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible we here at ATS are just a tad too cynical?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Kony 2012

Anyone with internet access will by now have seen this phrase dozens if not 100's of times but just in case you have been on another planet for the past few days a quick recap.

The story goes that a small time film maker made a journey to Africa 9 years ago and met a boy who was kidnapped and forced to become a child soldier. It was done by a group called the LRA who have taken upto 100,000 children in some reports and either forced them to become child soldiers or sex slaves.

The boy escape and met a film maker. After hearing his story this film maker made a promise to the boy that he would do everything in his power to stop the leader of the the LRA, a man by the name of Joseph Kony, and prevent this from happening to any other children.

9 years on with Kony still on the loose a large grass roots viral push has been made to draw awareness to the issue and hopefully bring this man to justice.

So what we have now is a youtube vid that has received a bazillion hits in a few days with the idea that volunteers plaster Konys face everywhere possible on April 20th to hopefully get governments to act.

OK so thats the background,

I personally will not be getting involved but I admire the fact that this man wants to make a difference.

Being honest I did find it a bit fishy, Im not sure why but something about the vid came across as odd. The fact Obama seemed to be featured alot stuck out as well as the fact they didnt really give much info other than the simple facts without real examples of Konys crimes.

Those things aside I thought "good on em, I hope they do well" and pretty much put it out of my mind.

Over the past 48 hrs Ive seen numerous threads here and while not openly opposing whats happening have been quite critical of the whole thing.

The reasons for this have included
As I noticed the blatant Obama imagery including the Kony 2012 posters similarities to Obamas campaign posters
The charities finances
The Pay of the main film maker
The fact Oil has been discovered in Uganda
The fact the the LRA is no longer a threat to Uganda
The pushing for American military intervention
As well as a few others

The way I see it is this, even if your like me and dont feel inclined to get behind this is it really necessary to try and put a negative spin on it?
Wether real or illusory this campaign is bringing together 100's of 1000's of people who are feeling empowered that they are doing something good and more importantly doing it (wether true or not) without the help of the Gov or big business.
If this campaign is successful isnt there a good chance it will inspire others to make similar campaigns about issues that are of importance to the world at large and not just isolated regions?

Why is it we as a people and specifically here at ATS feel the need to piss on parades like this (this is not an isolated incident, there are numerous examples of this happening on ATS, this is just the most recent) and try to bring it down.
I realise this doesnt apply to all here but the fact it applies to anyone...... well being honest just makes me sad

Rant over

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Joseph Kony
Joe Kony
Joke Ony
Joke On You

I think it's all made up internet fluff. Sure, child trafficking is a real problem, but this boy escapes and finds a filmmaker? What are the odds? Something doesn't add up.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Thats exactly what Im talking about!!!!!!!!!

Why are people so quick to jump onto the negatives

Do you not see any good in this campaign? If we need to mention this at all why cant we focus on the positive side for at least awhile?

P.s I didnt find that part fishy in the slightest

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I agree.

Even if I see posts I don't particularly agree with I am still grateful for the entertainment factor. Clearly if something grabbed my attention enough to read it in full and post about it, where did I go wrong? No need to flame anyone or say "FAKE" again and again, regardless of if I truly do think it is fake or not.

Lol whoops, silly me. I meant to reply to OP, not DaTroof. I apologise!
edit on 9-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
its got the sickening stench of american propaganda all over it to justify more american mass murder for fun and profit abroad...

top topics

join