It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Check: The Real Republican Delegate Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

There is still hope, America! (Even tho it's looking like Obama anyways)

In the non-binding states, over 50% are not even set in stone delegates and THIS is what Ron is waiting to be cast..
197 delegates haven't legally casted their delegate vote!

Very interesting election year.

Good luck, America!
edit on 8-3-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thats..

That's actually very reassuring. Thank you sir

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

nice find, thanks for sharing!

I wish these unassigned delegates would just vote already.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by CALGARIAN

nice find, thanks for sharing!

I wish these unassigned delegates would just vote already.

Some of the delegates haven't been selected, yet. I'm in Iowa, for example, and our county convention is this Saturday (Mar 10). I am already a designated delegate for my county and have already submitted my bid for consideration at the district and state level. I still have to be selected as a delegate at the district and state levels.
Eventually, I hope to go to the national convention as a delegate.

Iowa is a non-binding caucus. That means I would be free to vote for whomever I choose at the national convention. And, yes, I support Ron Paul.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

Some of the delegates haven't been selected, yet. I'm in Iowa, for example, and our county convention is this Saturday (Mar 10). I am already a designated delegate for my county and have already submitted my bid for consideration at the district and state level. I still have to be selected as a delegate at the district and state levels.

Iowa is a non-binding caucus. That means I would be free to vote for whomever I choose at the national convention. And, yes, I support Ron Paul.

What is the process when selecting delegates to the district and state level? How do they fairly choose who goes to the national convention?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I think it would be smart for Ron Paul supporters even in bound states to sign up to be delegates and do whatever they can to get to the convention. Sure you'd be forced to vote for someone like Romney, but if he doesn't have the needed delegates after the first vote, all hell breaks loose and you're free to vote for Paul.
edit on 9-3-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reggae

What is the process when selecting delegates to the district and state level? How do they fairly choose who goes to the national convention?

Since this is my first time doing this, I'm not really sure. At the precinct caucus, they asked for volunteers and I was the only one that raised my hand. They had to practically beg for more people. If it's the same at the district and state, I should have a pretty good chance.

edit: I also got a letter saying that if I was interested in being a delegate at the district and state, there was a $40 fee to cover both conventions. I was told that, if I am not selected, the fee will be refunded. I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone that volunteers and has paid the fee will get on the list. I have paid the fee.
edit on 9-3-2012 by N3k9Ni because: eta

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
One thing Ive been wondering about is why there has been a lack of Republican debates in the past month or so. There was a steady stream of 1-2 debates a week for a few months and then nothing in the month leading up to "super tuesday". I enjoy the debates alot, being a Ron Paul fan, and I feel his last performance was great. With only four candidates left theres much more time to let them talk and actually debate. I cant help but feel the GOP leadership decided to cut back on the debates to stop Paul from gaining support. Theres one listed for March 19th and thats all I can find.
edit on 10-3-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Dream on. I went through this last time. It all seems very democratic until you get to the state level, and that's where the real power plays happen. Here's what happend. I'm in Washington State.

1. I went to the caucus where each precinct was allowed to send one delegate to the county convention. The "Precinct Captain" (I think that's what they called her) did not want to go to the convention because she had another commitment. One young Ron Paul supporter wanted very badly to go, but he did not have transportation. In fact, I befriended him and wound up taking him home. So I was selected because I could get there.

2. At the County Convention anyone who wanted to be a delegate to the State Convention got about 30 seconds to say their piece. Everyone else voted on you. If you were funny, clever, or articulate you had a chance. I forget what I said, but somehow after all the votes were tabulated I was a delegate to the State Convention.

3. At the State Convention, the same thing happened. Dozens of people got up to say their piece and everyone else "voted." But (and here's where it got interesting) the next day we were all presented with a "Unity Ballot" which contained names of people pre-selected to go to the National Convention. These people, by and large, were long time party faithfuls who, we were told, had "earned the right" to finally attend a National convention. We were "strongly urged" to vote the "Unity Ballot," and that's what happened. The "Unity Ballot" won overwhelmingly.

So your chances of being selected as a delegate to the National Convention (which is expensive, btw) are slim to none. The same is true for the chances of Ron Paul sweeping the uncommited delegates. It's not going to happen.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Did you try to stop it, or report it to the media? When those kinds of things happen we can't just acquiesce, we have to argue and fight back as much as you can. Fighting back against those kinds of things is very important. If the Founding Fathers didn't have the backbone to tell England to go take a hike we'd probably still be under a monarchy today. Anybody who was there should try to contact the local media, and hopefully with as many other disappointed delegates as well.

If the establishment is going to go and try to rig the elections like this we have to at least fight back. If we can't stop it then at least we can turn this whole deal into a big ugly mess and further weaken the GOP, which is already in turbulent waters after the whole debt-ceiling fiasco.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkinin
reply to post by schuyler

Did you try to stop it, or report it to the media? When those kinds of things happen we can't just acquiesce, we have to argue and fight back as much as you can.

The media was there. There's nothing illegal about what they did. They followed their own party rules. The only thing I saw that was questionable was the Ron Paul supporters attempting to disrupt the convention by shouting down speakers from the floor and their attempt to take over the convention using deceptive procedural tactics. They had tried the same thing a week or two before in Nevada, so party leaders were ready for it. Kirby Wilbur, a local talk show host, MC's the event and did a masterful job of it, earning praise for his even-handedness from the Paul people as well. Now he's party chairman.

I was a McCain delegate. You didn't think I would vote for Paul, did you?

new topics

top topics

join