Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What would our exit strategy be with Iran?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just wondering...

Seems the idea of a war with iran will start off with strikes toward nuclear facilities. No doubt Israel will quickly become scorched earth, and its full blown war.

So...what is the exit strategy? regime change? democracy (that elects just another anti-westerner)? what is the final result where America can finally get out of Iran (and into Syria I guess)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Wait a minute, I'm not following you. Who would scorch Israel's earth? Who would escalate it to regional nuclear war?

Exit strategy? Wouldn't they be pleased with just setting back Iran's nuclear program and letting the Iranian opposition take over? They wanted to in 2009, but we didn't help them then. Maybe this time? Send them some supplies and go home.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Wait a minute, I'm not following you. Who would scorch Israel's earth? Who would escalate it to regional nuclear war?

Exit strategy? Wouldn't they be pleased with just setting back Iran's nuclear program and letting the Iranian opposition take over? They wanted to in 2009, but we didn't help them then. Maybe this time? Send them some supplies and go home.

In case you missed it, both Russia and China have stated they would get involved militarily if Iran was to be attacked. Both China and Russia have PLENTY of nuclear weapons. If Israel did strike Iran, Russia and China, along with who knows how many other Arab nations would most definitely attack Israel. This would most likely cause Israel to use some of their "we don't really have them" nuclear weapons. Which would in turn cause them to be nuked right back.

Exit strategy? There would be no exit strategy. A strike on Iran could very well spark World War 3.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

No boots on the ground, just a steady flow of bunker busters for a few days, so no exit strategy... what everyone else does? Who knows, but there will be no invasion. This would, however, stir up the hornets nest and anything's possible at that point.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
OUR exit strategy would be to never put a boot into Iran.
But the PTB's strategy will be to say, "oops, no WMD's here either"!
We know why wars are fought, and Iran needs no help or hinderance.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
let them enrich and give them a brand new ( slightly used )
GE mark 1 reactor for tehran?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Watch the movie "W.", there isn't an exit strategry. As the rappers put it, "We intend to set up shop."

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Dear DerekJR321,

Good points.

Exit strategy? There would be no exit strategy. A strike on Iran could very well spark World War 3.
And that's what I'm wondering about. I know what those countries have said, but is it diplomatic posturing? Do the Russians and Chinese believe that the US would not get involved? Obama has reelection as a goal above all else. Perhaps he sees helping Israel as a necessity.

Besides, my understanding is that many Middle-East countries see Iran as a dangerous player, I believe they might be willing to see Iran taken down a peg if it could be done properly. Maybe very precisely bombed nuclear plants with no other hostile intent? Maybe if Israel signed on to the NPT? Maybe this, maybe that?

I'm just wondering if WWIII has to occur in this situation.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Exit strategy? What exit strategy can they have when the entrance strategy seems to be little more than some fantasy of giving Iran a few lumps, while they're expected to have little to no response? I mean that seems to sum up the extent of thinking on the military option. We'll somehow go thump them in open strikes...then be allowed to just go on as if nothing happened and Iran will have learned their lesson or something.

How can we think exit strategy when that is the depth of planning we're watching here?

Now in all reality, IF we end up in an Iraq style war over there, I don't see an exit other than defeat or victory through bloodbath. Iran is a nation of 77 MILLION people. Nationalistic, Proud and very highly educated as things go in that part of the world. It's all or nothing, and exit comes by either end of the extremes.

On the other hand....We could EXIT the road we're traveling down before getting really going at all. That's probably too logical for Governments around the world though. That'd never be an option.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Dear Wrabbit2000,

How can I disagree with "The Wrabbit?"

Now in all reality, IF we end up in an Iraq style war over there, I don't see an exit other than defeat or victory through bloodbath. Iran is a nation of 77 MILLION people. Nationalistic, Proud and very highly educated as things go in that part of the world.
You're absolutely right. A troop invasion shouldn't even be contemplated.

What exit strategy can they have when the entrance strategy seems to be little more than some fantasy of giving Iran a few lumps, while they're expected to have little to no response?
That may very well be fantasy, but we know that Ahmadinejad is not well liked by the Ayatollah. Could the strategy be to disable the nuclear threat, and let the Irans themselves rebuild the country? You're right, Iran would respond, but with Ahmadinejad gone the military might be dispirited and the Israelis might be able to mount a sufficient non-nuclear defense.

I know it's a lot of mights, but I don't think very many people want Ahmadinejad in control of nukes. But perhaps I misunderstand. Would that be acceptable to you? If not, how do we keep those two from coming together?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well lets not jump to conclusions shall we?!.....To have an exit strategy,one has to have a solid ''enter'' strategy first, as well as rational and acceptable reasons in order to ENTER the place,which in the case of Iran, the US seems to have neither....Getting to another war just because Nut'nyahooo say's so ,is a complete madness if you ask me ...The world needs a good shake up! before it gets too itchy all over.

new topics

top topics

join