It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 23 years, calling it quits... (smoking that is)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
After 23 years of smoking, I decided on my birthday (39th) Saturday, that I'm done. I know I put this in the relationship forum. Smoking for me was a love/ hate relationship. Loved to smoke, especially after eating or while drinking. Hated paying for them and their negetive effects. I haven't had a single cigarette or any nicotine replacement of any kind in five days. I was a pack a day smoker. Cold turkey! Going well. Already noticing positives like the stairs at work don't have me panting. Anyway just checking to see if anyone else wanted to quit or need help quitting. Anyone else quit lately?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Congratulations! Stick with it. I quit cold turkey a few years ago and if I didn't quit another smoking habit, I would have never gone back. I want to quit this summer again. What worked well for me was to climb stairs as you mentioned and notice how many flights before I started breathing heavily. The hardest part of quitting for me was to not smoke while driving. I know I can do it again, but until my court mandated drug tests are done, I can't exactly use the methods that worked last time.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

A very big Congradulations to You !! I quit a year ago on the 1st of March , I used the nicotine patch for a few weeks and gum . My wife quit 8 days ago and she is taking champix , so far so good !! My hat is off to You for quiting cold turkey , it is extremely hard ! You should be very proud of yourself !! All the best and you're a great example for us all !!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm also a 23 year smoker, we're just about the same age too.

I see you're in Ohio, assuming you smoked regular American brands with all that fire proof crap in them? That might explain all your breathing discomfort. Everyone I know who is smoking Cowboy killers or Newports are gasping for air all the time. I must be one of the lucky ones, my breathing is fine, I do get winded if I haven't ran in a bit but I ride my bicycle in the summers with a lit cigarette in hand and do fine.

Quitting is for quitters, and I ain't no quitter!
I'll get cancer of the Fluoride way before I get cancer from smoking I figure.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
nope... cigars and absinthe the only pleasure I have left in life not about to give them up.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Congrats!

I quit on May 30, 1998 after 17 years. One of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Can't even stand being near the filthy little things anymore.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I quit a 30 year habit of smoking a little over a year ago. It was one of many attempts,and decided cold turkey just didn't work for me,so I used the patch,all three steps,and it helped a lot!!

So did sleeping through those times when I didn't know what else to do with myself and couldn't seem to focus.
Also,having an understanding and supportive spouse was priceless!!

Yet even now I will get a little craving once in a while,but like I learned early on,if you just ride it out those feelings will go away and you'll have a little more victory to keep you going.

Is this your first attempt to give them up?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I just posted this in another unrelated thread. I will post it here in case it might help someone quit smoking.
I underlined the most relevant sentence. Good luck!

L Tyrosine is another amino acid worth trying. L Tyrosine is converted to L-Dopa, then Dopamine, then norepinephrine and epinephrine(addrenaline). A lot of people even use L Tyrosine to cope with withdrawals from smoking and/or drugs, caffeine included. Don't expect that to get mainstream. Big Pharma would rather ween people off drugs with other high dollar, often fatal drugs. Phenylalanine fuels the process of L Tyro, and in combination are sometimes prescribed together as antidepressants. Vitamin B-6 aids in absorption of L Tyro, but isn't required to reap benefits nor is Phenylalanine. Although L Tyro is very cheap ~$10 for 60-500mg pills, your first priority should always be diet. Always do your research and play with the dosage in a safe range.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Agreed, I roll my own...or stuff my own anyway.
I pay less and have not had a scratchy throat in a few years.
Quitters don't win and winners don't quit.

I wonder how the OP will be doing in a months time, I hope for an update.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

No this is the umpteenth time , but somehow this time's different. Like I had an Epiphany of sorts. The big 4-0 is right round the corner. All my other attempts failed I think because of the gum. As long as nicotine is coursing through my veins, cigarettes would eventually find their way back. My mind is clear, my lungs feel great, this is my time. And thanks to everyone that replied.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Well in a month I hope to be smokefree still and down 20 lbs. I've gotten 3 workouts in this week! I'm hell bent on getting back in shape. But I'll update thread if I remember, in a month.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So there is still hope for me!................Thats really great congrats.

I first and only time I quit was for about a month, then i got into a car wreak and the dude I hit offerred me a cig, being I was super streessed I smoked it and I still continue, hoping one day i will find that intestianl fortitute to quit for ever.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Good luck let us know how it turns out with a new thread, I want to quit too.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i quit my self on the 6th on this month

S&F

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
reply to post by On the Edge

No this is the umpteenth time , but somehow this time's different. Like I had an Epiphany of sorts. The big 4-0 is right round the corner. All my other attempts failed I think because of the gum. As long as nicotine is coursing through my veins, cigarettes would eventually find their way back. My mind is clear, my lungs feel great, this is my time. And thanks to everyone that replied.

That's great that you kept trying. Each time we failed was a chance to learn a little more about ourselves and what works and what doesn't!

And think about this,as hard as it is,don't you feel like,by quitting,you can say "If I can do this,I can do anything!"

For me,it might be the hardest thing I ever did,but it also reaped the most rewards. Yeah,I did gain an extra couple of pounds,but even that's no big deal. I can use that same discipline I used to quit to work that off,too.

Keep up the good work! Your attitude is awesome and that is crucial!

All the best to you,and those around you!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
reply to post by g146541

Well in a month I hope to be smokefree still and down 20 lbs. I've gotten 3 workouts in this week! I'm hell bent on getting back in shape. But I'll update thread if I remember, in a month.

Whoa,I didn't see you are quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time!

Good for you!

No reason why it can't be done.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by omegacorps
i quit my self on the 6th on this month

S&F

Good for you!

P.S.
I've always loved that avatar of yours!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Hi all, I quit smoking on the 3rd of this month. Using the matches and the inhalator method. They are helping but I have had the odd one. didn't enjoy it through.
Good luck to everyone trying, don't give up, it'll be worth it in he end ... Healthier and more cash in pocket to treat yourself.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I once quit smoking for nine months. I was dating someone who didn't like it, and I was quite the pushover in those days. I had a cigarette on my lip within five minutes of our breakup. It turns out, I like smoking. And I hate that about me.

Best of luck (though you won't need it! I have faith in you!). Don't be too mean to the people around you, and make sure you exercise! Trust me.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MistyStar1012

Never heard of the match inhaler method. Whats that?
Btw, day six here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join