It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Natural Supplement for Mild Depression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
**I’ll start this thread off with an ATS disclaimer. This is an information only post, and is not a prescription for any supplement, or diagnosis for any ailment, nor does any of this reflect the opinions, or views of the owners of ATS.

As I stated in my last thread, on Melatonin, I was going to post a supplemental thread on how I defeated SAD, and a mild case of depression.

Many people have difficulties with SAD, and/or mild depression. Now what works for some people may not work for everyone, but this combination has work on a wide spectrum of people that I personally know, including myself.

The three main ingredients are at drinking at least 40 ounces of water a day, which most people don't do, 5000 iu's of Vitamin D3, a good multi-vitamin for men/women and 100mg of 5-HTP daily.

OK, so what the heck is 5-HTP and is it legal?

The answer is 100% yes and it's 100% natural, it comes from an plant in Africa called "Griffonia simplicifolia".

en.wikipedia.org...

The seeds of the plant are used as an herbal supplement for their 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP ) content.[2] [3] 5-Hydroxytryptophan is an important building block for the human body to form serotonin. [4] Serotonin plays an important role in the body specially as a neurotransmitter to transport signals between neurons in the nervous system. Griffonia simplicifolia also has a legume lectin called GS Isolectin B4, which binds to alpha-D-galactosyl residues of polysaccharides and glycoproteins.

HTP- 5

en.wikipedia.org...

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan (INN), is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan.

Wiki comments that HTP-5 is effective, but makes a comment on how " though a lack of high quality studies has been noted.[3] More and larger studies are needed to determine if 5-HTP is truly effective in treating depression.[4]"

I wonder which large Pharma did that edited.

I have used it on and off for years, and it has really worked well, when I felt episodes of SAD in the winter coming on. It knock the SAD out every single time it started to occur, and I didn't feel that sense of impending doom throughout the winter. Was I cured? no, but it sure took the edge off long enough to get my balance again.

Now granted I wasn't running around tossing roses to everyone I saw, but I felt normal again and not in the surreal world of mild depression.

A proper diet, exercise, and nutrition are important to facilitate any supplements taken, so in essence this speeds up the effectiveness of supplements taken and the results are much more pronounced. How do I know? I have done both, without a proper diet, exercise and nutrition the supplements will still work, just not as well.

I hope this helped and I will continue with my personal information on herbs, salves, and natural alternatives that have personally worked for me over the years 100%.

My next topic will be removing moles, skin tags and warts with almost 100% effectiveness without surgery. It will be very in depth and with lots of supporting evidence.

Peace Out,

RT

edit on 8-3-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

S&F. I agree with your recommendations. I have also used Saffron. It can be found in the spice aisle. It has been proven to help with mild depression as well. I just ate a pinch from the bottle everyday.

Saffron for Depression

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Great post and great information. Thank you!

I do want to remind you how different our bodies are from one another. I think it's fascinating that what works for one doesn't neccessarily work for another.

Having said that, we should all be willing to try new strategies for the things that ail us, particularly non-pharma solutions, if possible.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
reply to post by Realtruth

S&F. I agree with your recommendations. I have also used Saffron. It can be found in the spice aisle. It has been proven to help with mild depression as well. I just ate a pinch from the bottle everyday.

Saffron for Depression

There's a reason Saffron works so well.

Safrole, also known as shikimol, is a phenylpropene. It is a colorless or slightly yellow oily liquid. It is typically extracted from the root-bark or the fruit of sassafras plants in the form of sassafras oil (although commercially available culinary sassafras oil is usually devoid of safrole via a rule passed by the FDA in 1960), or synthesized from other related methylenedioxy compounds. It is the principal component of brown camphor oil, and is found in small amounts in a wide variety of plants, where it functions as a natural pesticide.

--

Use in MDMA manufacture

Safrole is listed as a Table I precursor under the United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.[8] Due to its role in the manufacture of MDMA, safrole and isosafrole as well as piperonal are Category I precursors under regulation No 273/2004 of the European Community.[9] In the United States, safrole is currently a List I chemical.

Real Lebanese Saffron is supposed to be amazing. Sadly, most of the shop store bought saffron has lost a lot of the essential oils which make it effective. Unless you can get a very high grade saffron, most of the stuff I've bought serves best to make the best rice dishes.

But you have to wonder why a chemical that has known anti-depressant qualities in another form is illegal for no other reason... than it is illegal.

Off to the doctor we go, to get our effexor and prozac..

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Great post! 5-htp seemingly has a greater than average success rate, but as stated earlier, everyone reacts differently to different supplements.

L Tyrosine is another amino acid worth trying. L Tyrosine is converted to L-Dopa, then Dopamine, then norepinephrine and epinephrine(addrenaline).

A lot of people even use L Tyrosine to cope with withdrawals from smoking and/or drugs, caffeine included. Don't expect that to get mainstream. Big Pharma would rather ween people off drugs with other high dollar, often fatal drugs.

Phenylalanine fuels the process of L Tyro, and in combination are sometimes prescribed together as antidepressants.

Vitamin B-6 aids in absorption of L Tyro, but isn't required to reap benefits nor is Phenylalanine. Although L Tyro is very cheap ~$10 for 60-500mg pills, your first priority should always be diet. Always do your research and play with the dosage in a safe range.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Nice Details
its helps me alot

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Most people don't realize that vitamin C is excellent for treating depression. I discovered it by accident but then heard someone else talk about it. But you have to take a lot. 12 to 15 grams a day. Spaced apart. It's okay to take a lot of vitamin C because you piss it out.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Has anyone here tried St. John's Wart for depression?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Is2012TheEnd
Has anyone here tried St. John's Wart for depression?

Yes,

For mild symptoms it works quite well, especially in the winter months. I used a brand name called Kira.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
A lot of the natural food/vitamin stores up here carry a product called "Happy Camper", made by Natural Balance. It's a vitamin-type pill with lots of different herbs in it and it's supposed to help with minor depression. I tried it, and to be honest, I didn't notice anything. But I *do* have friends with depression problems who swear by this stuff.
Here is a link so you can see what's in it:

www.iherb.com...

It has kava kava in it, which I used to *love*. But then I couldn't find it anymore in stores after it came out that overdosing on it could damage your liver.

new topics

top topics

join