It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Percent of Ground Beef at Supermarkets Contains ‘Pink Slime’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Was just thinking about this, with population growth and food shortages, this is probably something we are just going to have to get used to.

Meat in general is expensive, and the more people there are, the more cows we need and so on.

It gets impractical at a point, It would kinda be like Peak Oil but for Beef.

Why do you think we are seeing things about trying to lab grow meat?

This pink slime is just a symptom of the overall problem.

Maybe I should come up with a whole theory on Peak Beef.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
More info and videos posted in this duplicate thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can see why they call it pink slime

We get our ground beef from a local butcher, fairly local beef sources...and they will grind beef cuts to order., too....so I don't think we get any of this "tasty" stuff.

I had heard that this is not a new additive, they've been doing this for years

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Before I found organic farmers or products, I used to buy my own chunk of beef or pork and grind it myself, so I actually have not been buying mass produced and packaged ground beef for many years.

Plus I love buffalo ground beef and has been eating that also for years.

Now if we are talking about before the 2000s then I have to say that I was a consumer of regular ground beef until then, I remember when back home the butcher will leave the littler pieces of meat that now is glue back and sell it as left overs for dog food, my mother used to buy it to feed the our pets with.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Thanks for the post on this. Now I have the perfect excuse to buy that grinder-attachment for my mixer that I've been wanting!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This thread's subject matter is a good example to show that corporations will do anything for greed. By today's standards of doing business, corporations no longer make or produce anything with the safety or concerns for the public. They only care about and clearly show through their actions that they will do only what makes profits and more of them whether earned or not.

The once American standard of excellence is gone and replaced with a model of giving less, charging more and using bribes in the media and among all politicians to legislate some legislated monopolistic ability to earn profits even after consumers complain or no longer want to buy such sub quality products is the system we have today.

The use the high standards of quality that once made American products the best in the world is now replaced with a model where everything must break so you can get another one and while this system in certain venues does nothing but rob the people of quality and standards of excellence, it also contributes to the needless purchase and consumption of precious materials and resources needed to keep producing such profits at all costs even if they have to cut down all of the Rain Forrest to get a few more feet of lumber to sell and build houses to help the corrupt housing industry, mortgage industry and the banks and lawyers that profit from such a system of corruption.

This current incident in the meat industry when closely analyzed, clearly shows that turning something into something that can make them money is at the top of their considerations, while no longer concerned with public safety health issues.

By using chemicals to bond meat so as to be able to charge more for what appears as prime cut meats that allow a higher price per pound, any long term health consequences will be negated by the public's inability to take any legal action against those who have legislated their inability to be held liable for anything that harms the public.

Every system in America that once was the standard in the world has been turned into making money at all costs no matter if the product goes to hell and no matter if the public does not want products that break or fail as often as they do.

This system of corruption will continue whether or not we want our meats and chicken parts glued together, so that some corporation can once again make money by schemes and deception while being allowed to do so by our elected officials and agencies that supposedly look out for the welfare of the public.

This corruption of American systems has occurred not just in meat and chicken products, but in many areas that society currently struggles to live with

We have GMO Frankenstein foods, pharmaceutical products that kill more than help and with politicians voting for legislation that allows corporations not be liable for killing anyone. It is this type of criminal and corporate abuse that truly plagues the consumers of the world.

We have vaccines that knowingly harm the public and yet we have politicians willing to help legislate their use so as to ensure profits for corporations. It is this type of corruption that helps contribute to the corrupt medical health care system. prison industrial system, auto industry, military industrial complex and the corruption can be even seen in our judicial courts and system of justice to our financial and banking industry.

The existing model of government and big business is to administer the disease so that they can make profits from capitalizing on the so called cure.

While such practices are indeed sad to see, they have become commonplace and that is why those that abuse the system are known by their actions and if we do not eliminate corruption from politics and from corporations that do business with governments, then nothing will ever change.

While some may see this as a fantasy dream quest, I know that before there were hamburger chains and any fast food industry, anyone who produced a burger and fries wanted you to like their product because back then, pride was associated with a standard of excellence in what you produced even if was just a mom and pop hamburger from some local food spot. Good food, good service and good sources of quality meats ensured their profits.

With excellence and any standards of ethical behavior in politics or big business totally gone from the picture, this meat and chicken glue story will just be another sad example of a system kept alive by such corruption only to make money and not to produce quality based products that consumers actually want to purchase or consume because they have trust in them.

Thanks for the thread, but not until the public concerns matter again to our politicians and corporations will we ever be able to trust what we drink, eat or use as in needed medications or vaccines.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Excellant post my friend! You said everything I have been thinking for a long time! How in the hell are we ever gonna rise against this crap? I am tired of being the puppet.

Kim

edited to add: that was to you MaxBlack. Sorry, I am still trying to learn my way around here
edit on 9-3-2012 by kkane58 because: wanted to direct post to right member

edit on 9-3-2012 by kkane58 because: grammer

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Its information like this that makes me want to become a veg head lol I wish i lived back in the day where you had to make your own food, by growing it or killing it... I want to move out to the country and grow my own organic food, reading articles like this makes me sick to my stomack YUUCKK!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I get my meat straight from the local butcher. same with my pizzas( made with freshly butchered meats). tastes better, better quality. Things like this pink slime crap are why.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Oh this stuff is just soooo gross. I hear its made up of "beef scraps" (scraps? that sounds awful), cow connective tissue, and other beef "trimmings". I believe the USDA is purchasing 70 million pounds of this stuff to.

ETA - I wonder how many dangerous chemicals are thrown into it to?
edit on 9-3-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is down to greed and profits rather than politics. It's the same in UK supermarkets. Look at the packs of cooked chicken, ham etc. Some of it looks pretty good. Then look at the label - 'formed from' or 'made from'.

That means it's scraps mixed together with gunk. You really have to search to find a slice of real meat. Even then it may well have been injected with preservatives plus water to pad it out. Ever bought cheap bacon and seen the white stuff that comes out when you cook it?
But so many people are blind to this. A colleague brought what she called 'left over chicken' to work. It was in a roll and bore no resemblance to chicken. I was horrified to find she had been feeding her young child with it. I wouldn't even give it to my dog.
edit on 9-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Remember when you bought a pound of ground beef that was all pink on the outside, and then you cut in to it, to find it was brown on the inside? That was coating old meat over with fresh meat for selling it; it was all cosmetics, so to speak.

They made a law against doing that, and although I don't find it like that anymore, I now wonder about ALL of it. Grr.
edit on 3/9/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is why you should go to a butcher.
And have them ground it fresh for you.

yuck.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by XPLodER

Ahh...being a vegetarian just gets better by the day. I'm not gloating, honest!

Yes it does! I was compelled to make the switch after completing a short fruit fast last month and haven't looked back. News like this is just gross...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I've been buying a head or half of local grown beef cattle for the last 20 years or more. Most was not certified organic but the different farmers I got it from didn't use steroids or much corns or grains except to finish it for a couple of months before slaughter. We have out beef cut and wrapped at a USDA certified slaughter house and they do a good job and are reasonable. I can't stand the taste of a steak in a restaurant anymore. Why pay so much for an inferior meal. Our cost per pound, including wrapping, aging weight losses, and processing is about the same as buying commercial beef from the store. No cheaper, but if you put a roast in the oven it comes out way bigger than when it goes in. A one pound T-bone is huge. If I wanted cheaper beef, I could go to a local farmer that uses steroids and corn and save 50 cents a pound overall. Even want it cheaper per pound, don't age it as long so it still is full of liquid. I'll stick to the way I do it.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Regardless of the location, where I'm stationed, I have always purchased ground beef from a butcher that I was able to wittness gounding the beef. I've had the butcher throw in more bacon/veal/tenderloin to match what I wanted out of the burger/ground beef.

Meatloafs vs hamburgers vs whatever.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Imagine the way population and food shortage is heading,

pink slime in a generation or so will be considered caviar, compared to recycled feces food etc

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

but true.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Sadly, this is only a small portion of the disgusting things that corporations do to make money.

An older lady, who is a really good friend of mine worked in a Progresso Soup factory.

She claimed that after seeing how the Beef that is put into the soups is processed, she refused to consume it any longer. She says the chicken is plausible, but the Beef was so bad she wouldn't even feed it to a stray animal. It basically came in this huge tank with foreign writing on it and it was in a "gelatinous" form. In this large container, it was soaked in a foul smelling ammonia and sat for days. Apparently, the so-called "beef" jelly was squirted through a tube to shape it into chunks for the soup.

No thank you to pink slime, beef jelly or sewage mud burgers.

I know they put some awful crap in the foods as additives, preservatives, pesticides, colorings etc but...

Seriously? What could even be worse than literal CRAP in your food?

I cringed to watch that man bite into that.

Ugh.

I mean, I guess it's kind of amazing that they can convert "sewage mud" into edible food but it's too sick to get much applause from me.
edit on 10-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join