It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Percent of Ground Beef at Supermarkets Contains ‘Pink Slime’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
this is in breaking political news because the politics involved with this deception,
and because bureaucrats decided and i quote

if its pink, its meat

Gerald Zirnstein grinds his own hamburger these days. Why? Because this former United States Department of Agriculture scientist and, now, whistleblower, knows that 70 percent of the ground beef we buy at the supermarket contains something he calls “pink slime.”

“Pink slime” is beef trimmings. Once only used in dog food and cooking oil, the trimmings are now sprayed with ammonia so they are safe to eat and added to most ground beef as a cheaper filler.

It was Zirnstein who, in an USDA memo, first coined the term “pink slime” and is now coming forward to say he won’t buy it.

“It’s economic fraud,” he told ABC News. “It’s not fresh ground beef. … It’s a cheap substitute being added in.”

Zirnstein and his fellow USDA scientist, Carl Custer, both warned against using what the industry calls “lean finely textured beef,” widely known now as “pink slime,” but their government bosses overruled them.

link to source

so if some politician decides pink slime is meat because it is pink does that mean we can eat anything pink?
it would seem to me that the decision to allow this would have to be a direct afont to consumers, and their bodies.

did you know you were eating pink slime?
did the person who made the call get a big cushy job within the meat industry?
you bet you pink ass she did,

is this a clear case of selling out the consumer for a future job with huge perks?
is this how all food decisions are made?

does any feel like eating a burger now?
well even if this is false advertising, misrepresenting a product, corruption of a process of a government office
and bribery,

IT DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS THE PEOPLE ARE CLUELESS?

will people get mad that fake meat is meat to the politicians if it makes them some money?
do you feel good about feeding your kids pink slime?

too angry way to angry at this to let it go......................................

i will tell EVERYONE I KNOW,
i hope you do the same

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
They could of at least made it taste like bubble gum.

Seriously though, yuck and one more reason to buy local yo. Grass fed beef is so much tastier than MSB(MainStreetBeef)!
Glad this is making news though, and glad most restaurants are excluding it. Now why are our cafeterias still serving it? Source
I bet they will utilized the rest of the inventory before changing..... money.......

peace

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is common knowledge really, Never eat fast food, my cousin works in a factory where they make the meat. It's all a combination of fat and guts and left over organs mixed with some meat.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
soylent pink, anyone?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I prefer mine grilled.

Why is everyone acting surprised?

I also like to fry mine in a teflon coated skillet

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Make sure it's "Well Done" ...

not as much "Yuk" left then !

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Ahh...being a vegetarian just gets better by the day. I'm not gloating, honest!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I am sure lots of people would think any meat preperation is gross if they saw it. I seen some cityboys who thought they were tough as nails run away looking green when they saw me field dress their first deer

I buy a whole cow and have it butchered and even help out a bit. Need a big freezer, have a small generator just for my meat locker in case the power goes out. In the long run it is cheaper than buying meat at retail, probably tastier and more healthy too. I know there is no filler, the cows I buy are natual fed, no hormones or vaccines.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

ever heard of fake steak, glued together with the same stuff
check this out

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Here's more slime:

Pink Slime For School Lunch
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by Jameela
started on 3/6/2012 @ 02:56 PM

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well I am glad that I do not buy any manufactured meat that is not organic and free to feed, even if I have to pay extra for the peace of mind.

I stopped eating mass produce poultry and beef a long time ago.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Did the beef bother anyone here before they knew about it? I studied what they do and do not think it has any effect, either positive or negative. No real usable nutrition and no excessively bad chemistry. Might as well eat cardboard.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Now here is the real reason I set up a farm way out in the country. We raise our own pork, chicken, goat... loads of fresh vegetables.... dozens of eggs every few days.

The fact we can survive the coming economic collapse is a side benefit... the proverbial gravy on the 'taters.

It is a lot of work, and many a morning I have been out in the dark about 530am before going to work at 630am... cold... sloshing around in the mud, getting slapped in the face from a low slung branch I didn't see... feeding and watering my animals. Forking hay over into stalls, slopping hogs, and getting up eggs. And I have wondered if it was worth it?

Once again the answer is yes.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Frankenmeats I call it.

Yeah I've known about this for a few years myself actually, not all that new to me about using enzymes to glue bits together. A huge reason you won't see me eating out much these days. I Raise beef for market as well as for my own freezer. The popularity of people buying from the farmer and local small locker has risen immensely in the past few years.

Now that more and more people are learning this and its getting out, perhaps we can run the big dogs in the ground. When i say big dogs i mean the Corporate Kill plants(Butcher Plants) and Feedlots, its time they face reality and figure out they cant run all us little guys out. The majority of the feedlots these days are owned by the same corporations that Owns and Operates the Plants, and they have the USDA and EPA throwing laws out there in their favor, Trying to bankrupt us smaller farmers and producers. Lets hope this is a Strike for them and a Hit for us.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You had to question weather it was worth it? It's the Life
The only life for me. I can't survive away from the Country.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

No... I love this lifestyle. It is very rewarding when you sit down to breakfast or supper, and almost everything on the table came from the farm...

On the other hand, you have to love it, because it is too much like work. Sometimes it is hard and unpleasant.

Like the time one of my sows had a breach birth... her piglets got turned in the birth canal and they backed up, stressed, and died in the canal... my wife and I had to pull the dead little piglets out by hand.... one at a time so the mother sow would not die. I think that was the worst thing I have ever been through on the farm. It hurt on so many levels too. The wasted loss of life in those cute little pigs... the loss of meat for next year... the loss of money in selling most of the little piglets had they grown to about 100lbs.

Or coming home and wondering why a couple of your prize goats are sleeping in the field this time of day... only to walk up on them and realize the back half has been torn and mauled by coyotes.

On the other hand, it is rewarding to go out in the morning to feed everybody and you hear new voices... and realize the expectant nanny goat has finally had her kids. What used to look like saddle bags in the womb are now three cute little baby kids... two doelings and a buckling.

Or that the big boar that had grown almost intimidating... finally dressed out to about 300lbs of sausage, chops, ribs, tenderloin, backbone

Life on the farm is hard, fun, tragic, and rewarding... never boring and a real labor of love.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Besides that, I also heard somewhere that the "red juice" you find in freshly packaged meats is a sort of dye, not blood, to only to make the meat look more appealing and fresh. Is there any truth to that??

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Besides that, I also heard somewhere that the "red juice" you find in freshly packaged meats is a sort of dye, not blood, to only to make the meat look more appealing and fresh. Is there any truth to that??

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by theAmericanStory

I worked in the groceryy industry for about 25 years and back in the 1980s, most Meat Markets processed their own meat.

Now, most of the meats sold at retail level are cut and packed in the packing plant. This eliminates the need for a meat cutter at the store level and thus cuts payroll and overhead.

The cuts of meats are injected with a saline or salt and seasoned solution. This plumps the meat and the water adds weight... increasing profit...you pay retail price for water.

Then the meat cut is packaged in a vaccum seal pack or in a gas/oxygen filled package to enhance the redness of the meat and extend the shelf life. The wrap on the package also sheilds the UV light from the flourescent lights in the store. They tend to darken meat after a couple of days.

If you buy meats... find a small independent grocer or butcher shop. They generally can't buy in bulk from the big company food factories. Instead, they buy from local or regional wholesalers. The quality is better... the meat fresher... and they do special requests. Typically, they preserve profit by converting a close dated roast to hamburger. they generally do a better job of watching turnover... and they take advantage of market cycles or over production and pass this on to their customers.

Bon Apetite...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by XPLodER

Ahh...being a vegetarian just gets better by the day. I'm not gloating, honest!

You think they don't own that market either?

They rely on your arrogance.

that is how they make money off people like you because you think you are getting safer food when it's barely safer.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join