It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem with somehow provide voter ID's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
First, I don't like anyone not qualified to vote in any American election. But American electoral provisions always check votes after the fact. Nothing has for a very long time ever been assumed. We do to the point of being anal, verify votes. Thats why the 2000 elections were such a debacle. The fact that more people voted for Al Gore then GW Bush is now well known and accepted. Another reason to dump the now obsolete " electoral college" But that discussion is for another time.

But the Republicans are now pushing hard to make it more difficult for people to vote, and thats all people. I just recently heard on MSNBC's Rachel Meadows program that a 55 year old marine some how did not have the proper "credentials" to vote. Had he voted before? Yes. Had he voted before in that location (and I will check out the details) before? Also yes. There is a serious problem with some of our elderly citizens who often don't have very much documentation in the form of official documents at all. Some people never even had a drivers license. To me thats almost anti-American but hey how many people who lived in NYC all their life have a drivers license? Not as many as would seem " natural" to a midwest guy like me.

The bottom line is a simple one. The GOP wants to disenfranchise anyone they consider " a threat" And you know what? I know thats undeniably anti-American.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You can get a state ID if you don't drive. I got one when I was 16 because I needed a job.

If you have ever had a job in your life you had to provide an ID. So not having one in this day and age, I really can't see how it is possible.

When I voted on super Tuesday they made me show my drivers license.
edit on 8-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

And how easy is it for people to get state ID's who are elderly and like my Mom its painful for her even to walk (by the way she has a drivers license but no longer drives if she can avoid it, to difficult) I support a process where everyone gets a state visual and even biometric ID, I don't support people voting who can't lawfully any more then you likely do. But isn't it so interesting the Republicans who sat on there ass for almost all legislation since the bonkers tea party got into congress in 2010, now decide a few months before the election to pull this crap now.

If they had rational candidates and reasonable positions they would have a much stronger showing in the polls, enough people don't like Obama so despite his lead in every major non-targeted poll (not targeted to strictly right wingers) the election will go to Obama. But oh no, the GOP has to pull this cheap s*** now a few months before the election to widdle away those people who may vote for Obama. NOW the move there ass's, how nice if they could have done something constructive before this idiot stunt they are doing with better then light speed. Pricks.

OK they want to play, so can I by bringing civil rights abuses to the courts, lets see how they answer those questions of people who have long voted, including 64 years for my Mom, and how will the clueless Republicans will handle that? We will see.

I support a visual ID for voting and in fact will push for fair and open legislation but after this next election. Just what do the Republicans fear anyway, other then having clowns run for national and state office.

edit on 4/4/12 by arbiture because: add stuff

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Not even true. You don't have to have a photo id to get a job at any age. It just happens to be the simplest way to prove who you are. They way it typically works is Photo ID = Birth Certificate, Social Security card, and any of the following bank statement, current utility bill,and or marriage license. There are probably more I just can't remember them off hand. Believe it or not there are many people in this country that have been alive long enough to not even have a birth certificate to get a photo ID with. As far as requiring a photo Id to vote in alot of cases amount to a poll tax. How so? Because if you do not have a photo ID you now have to gather the required documents to get a photo ID. So now you have to figure in not only the cost of the ID but the cost for getting a copy of your birth certificate, if you even have a copy to get. And people want this for a virtually nonexistent problem.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Unfortunately many don't know or care what you said was exactly right. Wonder how many older people have a clue as to where their birth certificate is, 60+ years ago, then again such things were a lot loser then now. Hell ,my Mom doesn't have one because she never needed it and didn't know what state she was born in. She was in an old pick-up, by 1931 standards no less, going west when she had to stop, actually my grandmother said "honey its time" Both her parents are long dead and she has no idea which of the twelve states she went through she was born in !

And the hassle of trying to get this before November? Why don't the Republicans come out and say if their views and who they suck up to at any moment, is the real political reason they are pushing so hard for this voter ID's before November? Right... I suppose if you can't win an election on your own merits, if a Republican then can and will pull what ever cheap stunt one can to disenfranchise a large number of the populace, talk about "morality and a lack of principles

Can anyone out there say "the ends justify the means"? Very important when those ends serve your purpose and only yours. Imagine my shock when the actions of the Republicans this close to an election they damn well know will be very tough for them, are implying a version of quote from Lenin !
edit on 5/4/12 by arbiture because: spelling correction

top topics

join