It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prison System Is Becoming Big Business in America - The American Gulags

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone Thats all good, until they put you , yourself, in prison, then who would you want running things? Dont say it can't or won't happen, because all it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. remember, guilty until proven innocent, if you can't afford a good lawyer.

edit on 9-3-2012 by chopperswolf because: spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Your kidding right?
Please tell me your kidding!

If we dropped the size of the government to 5%, and trashed the majority of their useless laws along with it, you would see the prison occupancy drop to - 700%, where it was before three strikes and host of other laws were introduced.

Most of these laws are victim-less crime laws, of which it is no-ones business what they do.
It is sold to the masses as protecting us from them, or from ourselves under a Nanny State Mentality, when it really is to pad the wallets of the real criminals who are in Washington DC and the criminals in bed with them.

These are the people that need to be behind bars.
Those are the ones that need to be brought to the Hague for War Crimes, Financial Tyranny and Financial Terrorism inflicted on the masses from their intentional polices to stuff them and their cronies walllets to the expense of the rest of the nation.

Meanwhile, those that do break the laws they created, have enough money and lawyers to escape justice, which I have seen time and time again.

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
Yeah, I see it coming. That's why I'm glad I'm on the winning side. I'll be on the outside of those bars.

In all seriousness, all I see is fear mongering. While it's rather effed up to want to fill the jails for reasons A, B, and C, I can see where it would be helpful. Do you know how many criminals that commit a crime that could easily land them in jail, but instead they're let go because what they did wasn't worth doing all that paper work over? Quite a lot more than you would expect. Shocked the hell out of me when I first found out. Made me question, once again, the justice system. But, thinking about it now, with this wanted increase, these minor offenders that could be sent to jail, probably will. Is that bad? No. Not bad at all. You commit the crime and get caught, you're going to pay for it. Simple enough.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

The prison system is a joke and I don't support it because there are many people that should not even be in there.

Get back to me when justice is done to the real criminals in this country that are on Wall Street, Mega Corporations and the US Government, that have committed War Crimes in other countries, Financial Terrorism to other countries and to their own citizens.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

There will be no where to run..................this is now global.

Tired of trying to wake up the masses of sleeping beauties, tired of the compliant drones - I'm right there with you and thank goodness my number is up within a couple short decades...........and if I get a choice, I'm not coming back to this god forsaken planet.

People were warned decades ago, centuries ago but not enough people listened.

Mexico.........you think Mexico is any better?

I have a couple friends that live in Mexico and they say that it's not even safe to walk to the grocery store any more.

Again, this entire mess is now global and like it or not you and I are a part of it.

Been trying to warn people for decades to no avail.

You can lead a horse to water but until they are good and thirsty you can't make em drink unless you shove a tube down into their stomach.

America is just ground zero...........TPTB figure if they can crack the toughest nut first - the rest will follow, the domino effect.

Safe journey...........good reply.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

Sounds like torture to me.

Isn't that suppose to be illegal here in the good old USA?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't have many years left on this plane of existence either which is fine.
I just hope there is justice on the other side.

The criminals running things now think they are getting away with it all and I do hope they are partying it up, because hopefully, they wont be on the other side.

I have seen many NDE reports where people go through a life review, and they not only see their life, but they all see all the actions they took and how it affected others, where they have to live through other peoples eyes.

Can you imagine being Lloyd Blankfein of Goldman Sachs and having to live through the millions of lives you have destroyed from your own policies, that you bought from politicians, and not being able to justify it away when you are shown the reality of your actions? That would be hell.

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

There will be no where to run..................this is now global.

Tired of trying to wake up the masses of sleeping beauties, tired of the compliant drones - I'm right there with you and thank goodness my number is up within a couple short decades...........and if I get a choice, I'm not coming back to this god forsaken planet.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

Picture says it all.

As above so below..............karma is a bitch only if you are.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That is a wise truism that I learned a long time ago.
We all have to face the consequences of Karma, and while it can be painful, it also allows us to grow.
In this life, and the next

reply to post by ofhumandescent

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Okay who in here was jailed for having 5 grams or less of drugs on his person or even for lesser crimes? A lot of people say they were jailed but few said what for.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Good post ~

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
Okay who in here was jailed for having 5 grams or less of drugs on his person or even for lesser crimes? A lot of people say they were jailed but few said what for.

My resume'

Drunk in public

Cannabis under a quater ounce

Traffic warrents

Driving on a suspended lic.

poss. of paraphernalia

Joy riding

Burglary tools... Bogus

Causing a disturbance at a place of business

All misdomeanor crap

One felony arrest for racketeering that didn't stick. Bogus That cop was so ignorant.

I've lived a colorful life but I never hurt anyone but maybe myself . So there you go. Can't think of anything else. Never even had a drunk driving.

spell check
edit on 9-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The thing that gets lost in these arguments is the concept of action and result.

Most people are not in prison because they were obeying the laws. Most people are there because they broke the law. I just read a study from England that shows most convicts commit crimes on the average of every few days until they get caught . From the same article, most criminals prey on the people that live in the same area.

So when you remove a criminal from an area, it has a dramatic affect on crime in that area.

Once again. Most criminals are behind bars because they broke the law.

Of course, our criminal justice system can be improved. Of course there are some people behind bars that have been wrongly jailed. However, in my opinion, most of those people in prison are there because they repeatedly broke the law and preyed on people who lived near them.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

The system is so unfair, so corrupt that it's getting to be (not there yet) that only those engaged in black market or "gray areas" are going to be able to survive.

This is why there are no decent programs to help rehabilitate offenders in prison. After all this time, you'd think there would have been some positive strides in this area to help keep the recidivism rate down...but there aren't. Prison is nothing but a cesspool of negativity. I doubt few come out any better than when they went in.

The problem is, society, as a whole, has become so tired of the level of violence, killing, and theft they are experiencing in their cities, that people are more interested in seeing offenders punished...."an eye for an eye." They are so blinded by their anger and desire for retribution that they fail to see how our current system is doing nothing but create MORE crime. People don't care if prisoners are crammed into cells or if their medical treatment is poor. They don't care if prisoners get any meaningful help. They want prisoners to suffer for what they've done. That's how it is in this particular point in our evolution.

I used to wonder why we have found it so difficult to put more effective programs in place for prisoners so that they would actually have a chance to become productive members of society. Now, I believe this failure in the prison system is intentional. All part of the bigger picture....keep prisoners uneducated, angry and addicted to drugs to perpetuate problems in the population. Creating an educated, critical thinker from prison doesn't bode well for those at the top with their present agenda in America.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I have to respond to that Bob. You are correct as long as you separate prison from jail in your mind when you say that.
I'm talking about jail where there is a one year county lid in most states I believe it is. I never went to prison so i never caught a number. So you are correct. most people who go over the top of that county lid have earned it.
And most the time when they get out, they know their going back.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Seen your resume, you did not go to prison over it apparently. So is here anybody who got caught with 5 grams and did like 3 years?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Might as well just put up a fence around the US and call it done. It's going that way anyways.

My suggestion to all free people in the US...Get out now. Run far and run fast because when the gates close it'll be too late.

Peace

I tried that. Stopped at the canada border and asked "have you EVER been arrested". My answer, yes, for a traffic violation (20mph over the limit) and posession small amount of the weed we can't mention. 3 hour interrigation while threatning to tear apart my pos car to find drugs (there weren't any). Finally allowed to leave but informed I can never cross the border because of the arrest on my record. What a wonderful place to be locked in, USA the prison camp....

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by Cassius666

My resume'

Drunk in public

Cannabis under a quater ounce

Traffic warrents

Driving on a suspended lic.

poss. of paraphernalia

Joy riding

Burglary tools... Bogus

Causing a disturbance at a place of business

All misdomeanor crap

One felony arrest for racketeering that didn't stick. Bogus That cop was so ignorant.

I've lived a colorful life but I never hurt anyone but maybe myself . So there you go. Can't think of anything else. Never even had a drunk driving.

spell check

What I'm more interested to find out is...how much time did you actually spend in jail for those crimes? You obviously didn't go to prison since they are not felonies.

All this talk of people locked up for victimless crimes is well and good, however, what many also fail to address is the enormous number of people who serve little or no time for multiple convictions. This has created a society of criminals who have little fear of incarceration. They continue to do what they do because they CAN. They expect that their defense attorneys will get them off or get them a plea bargain, so the idea of being incarcerated for any length of time is not a deterrent to crime....at least it isn't in California.

This fact needs to be considered in this discussion as well because people are sadly mistaken if they are under the belief that our prisons are populated with first-time offenders.
edit on 9-3-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I just read a study from England that shows most convicts commit crimes on the average of every few days until they get caught . From the same article, most criminals prey on the people that live in the same area.

While reading your post, I had some Wall Street firms in mind, and they fit the profile you painted to a T. Except no-one goes to Jail on their end:

Lets take a look at the laws they break and the repeated occurrence

This has been a recurring pattern on Wall St. for years. Firms like Goldman and JP Morgan break various laws all the time, but then they lobby to have the laws changed retroactively (yes, this law will change – and the talk now is to make it look like they are weighing some issues other than the massive kickback in cash they’ll get to change this law). This is obviously a complete breakdown in the concept of the rule of law. BusinessInsider shamefully carries the headline that insiders will have to wait for an IPO – instead of covering the fact that there’s been a miscarriage of justice. Any wonder Americans are becoming poorer? The average American can’t make up laws and rules to suit their personal net worth interests, but they are forced to compete with banks like Goldman that do.

So who are the bigger criminals in this country?

The ones stealing a ten dollar item at a store, or the ones reaching in my tax paying dollars pocket, buying politicians, and destroying the country in the process?

I'm sorry, but justice is a joke in this country, and I can't be bothered about some penny ante criminals versus the monsters running this country that need to be sent to the Hague.

maxkeiser.com...

www.nytimes.com...

Citigroup is far from the only such repeat offender — in the eyes of the S.E.C. — on Wall Street. Nearly all of the biggest financial companies, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America among them, have settled fraud cases by promising the S.E.C. that they would never again violate an antifraud law, only to do it again in another case a few years later.

A New York Times analysis of enforcement actions during the last 15 years found at least 51 cases in which 19 Wall Street firms had broken antifraud laws they had agreed never to breach.

They get away with paying off a small pittance and justice goes un-served.

www.hermes-press.com...

Regulators collude in lawbreaking by Wall Street banks
By Barry Grey, wsws.org, 7 February 2012

The article provides a glimpse of the corrupt relationship between Wall Street and the government that enables the financial elite to engage in fraud and swindling, knowing that it can count on the protection of the agencies that supposedly exist to police it. The Times report, which spans both the Bush and Obama administrations, points to the complicity of the entire political establishment in the orgy of speculation and criminality that led to the financial crash of 2008 and the devastating slump that followed.

The big Wall Street firms, as is clear from the article, wantonly and repeatedly break the law and factor in the cost of cash settlements with the SEC and other bodies as part of the cost of doing business.

Banks and executives who have been caught red-handed lying about the securities they market or other aspects of their business are not only shielded from criminal prosecution or civil trials, they are given waivers so they can continue to enjoy lucrative advantages in the sale and underwriting of stocks and bonds, the management of mutual funds and the raising of funds for small companies, while retaining immunity from shareholder lawsuits.

You were saying something about repeat offenders?

edit on 9-3-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

I think I know where you're going with that maybe. there are a lot of non violent offenders in prison doing a lot of time simply because they have a problem and can't shake it. I don't believe they belong in such a harsh place doing so much time. But then again you have people manufacturing speed. And that endangers a lot of people. So there's a thin line that can be tuff to disseminate.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ozmaoz47

people have a choice if they will end up in jail or not. they can choose to break the law and face the consequences or they can follow the rules and not have any problems. i am 45 yrs old and i have never even gotten a ticket. on the rare occasion that i see police, i don't really pay attention to them because i know it has nothing to do with me. i don't drink, i don't touch drugs and i don't get into trouble. yes, my life may sound a little dull, but i'll take dull over jail and day of the week.

Good for you. Not everyone is so blessed or lucky to have such perfect control as you do. My mom has never had a ticket either, but she knows not half the life experiences I have had and I wouldn't trade any of them to live in the boring box that she does.

The expectation that we should all live like saints or within the boundaries defined those who control the systems constantly changing rules is where I have a problem.

It all comes down to whether or not one believes in "Liberty" and where the line is drawn between pursuing life, liberty and happiness and that behavior which impedes on others lives to the point that requires your removal from society to keep them safe from you.

What we have today is really an attack against Liberty by those who wish to profit from natural human behavior. Thus criminalizing relative normalcy and condemning those who commit menial acts where there is no victim other than the system which intends to do nothing but profit.

Nabbing free travelers pursuing liberty & experiencing life while moving about in their automobiles is the number one method of attack by the prison industry. A traffic stop can escalate in a prison stay very easily and once engaged one must jump through a series of hoops in the form of monetary payments (freedom payments) in order to continue liberty. Failure to comply in a timely basis continually redefined by the courts revenue team will lead to you being defined as a criminal or one who does not comply paying ransom enforced by incarceration.

The working class agrees to give up a portion of their earnings, the rich guys don’t blink, and the poor unemployed become further unemployable as their criminal history grows.

Think the TSA are douche bags, wait till you meet their counterparts - the jailers who confiscate everything you own (for safety – yeah right) and throw it in a bag and make you hold your bowels until it hurts so much to hold it that you give in and wipe your anus in front of a hundred people like monkeys screwing for the public at the zoo. Ever had dreams about waking up in class having forgot your clothing during your youth? Well imagine having to take a dump in front of the class along with any noises, anomalies or accidents that may occur and then having them watch your every move tracking wipes, paper consumption & how you deal with it. That is the intentional level they bring you attacking your dignity.

I can still remember the hollow stare and face of the kid after being raped in jail (I hadn't a clue at first), it had happened many times before I arrived there and despite it not happening when I was around any longer, I couldn’t be there all the time and it just wasn’t a good place to teach someone how to stand up and defend themselves. Maybe he didn’t pay that ticket on time, or maybe he was a real criminal I don’t remember that conversation.
edit on 9-3-2012 by verylowfrequency because: just say what again mf

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join