It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Depression Epodemic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
According to a recent report by the BBC depression is well and truely on the increase and shows no signs of slowing down.

news.bbc.co.uk...

As a person that has been diagnosed as clinically depressed myself I have to wonder why this is happening to me and others. Is it down to diet, circumstance, pollution, radiation or something else? Who knows but one thing is for sure that modern society is churning out more and more people classed as medically depressed.

My gripe is that governments in recent times at least where I am from seem to have set up the right conditions for people to enslave themselves to various things be it banks via debt or commitments to a modern life. But why does depression exist? Surely the human form should not get depressed, what is the point or benefit to depression? Answer is there isn't one, depression leads to further more cronic depression and does not help the individual to make their life better for themselves. Therefore I blame the government, they seem to be controling us through these kinds of underhand methods, E numbers in our food, processed food, increased media and electronics to keep us indoors to lack Vitamin D, Longer working hours, less sleep. You name it modern society is set up to push us into depression.

When will this all end, I hope TPTB go to hell.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm not sure it's an accurate judgment to say depression causes no good. Just as acheadache can let someone know there are troubles within and change is needed, so too can be the case wiyh depression.

I doubt any one thing is causing, rather it's a conglomoration of factors interacting together

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Epidemic.
And antidepressant are not the answer. Depression is a symptom. Treating it doesn't treat the cause, remember that
edit on 8-3-2012 by Monsatan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
But why is it on the increase? that is the million dollar question.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Is it down to diet, circumstance, pollution, radiation or something else? Who knows but one thing is for sure that modern society is churning out more and more people classed as medically depressed.

I think you listed the main contributors in your opening post to true depression. However, if you ever really watch a anti depressant add the "symptoms" of "depressions" are getting broader and broader until at some point, just living will deem you depressed.

"Children hard to control? - depressed"
"don't like being in debt? - depressed"
"don't like going to work? - depressed"
"angry at the gov? -depressed"
"if you have these symptoms please take these powerful drugs that cost $$$ that have no effect on these symptoms other than side effects including, but not limted to, heart attack, stroke, and death, but don't worry because you will think they are working and will keep paying $$$ because the man wearing the white suit told you so"

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This country can be an extremely depressing place to live, it's no surprise depression is on the increase. More people are seeing an uncertain future. This creates anxiety. We are bombarded with fear in our news and vapid shallow representations in the media. I think the government have used the Shock doctrine (www.naomiklein.org...) on the nation to soften us up for the austerity.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
But why is it on the increase? that is the million dollar question.

Pharmaceutical companies like to make money? Pharmaceutical representatives introduce new depression medication it to doctors and they are prescribed for it because one hand feeds the other.

I'll collect my million dollar reward now.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It might not be a popular insight, but depression is a choice. That is, you can choose not to be. Blaming the root causes for your depression in circumstances or entities beyond your apparent control, you are making yourself a victim of them.

I am not saying your feelings are not real, for they very well are. And these feelings are hard to overcome and they seem to be outside of your sphere of influence. But by abiding by them and not taking control of them, you are creating a feeling of ever increasing powerlessness in overcoming them.

A cure? So many people, so many cures. Go and do something simple and easy, yet making you feel good about yourself. Like, go running every other day for 2 miles. Everyone can run for 2 miles, even if you stop every 5 minutes to take a little break. Just the fact that you keep doing it every other day, will make you get a sense of accomplishment.

This will slowly build your self confidence. After a while you want to achieve more goals that make you feel good about yourself. Make them small goals. Nothing too fancy. Just goals you know you can achieve.

And then, at a certain point, your self confidence will have risen to an extent that you will be able to take more and more control of your life at a grater pace with each step.

The big trap is your hurt ego sees point Z as the only and ultimate solution, and it wants to get there tomorrow. The trick is to learn about and understand the significance of points B trough Y as well..

Good luck man!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CriticalMess

I agree with you to a large extent, though think some severe cases truly are out of someones control.

I've dealt with slight mania and moderate depression for a long time.

In my case, I have managed to even things out by exercise, diet, and attempting to change my mindset about things.

It doesn't mean I'm 100% all the time. I still fall into dark thoughts, and periods where I can't process as well as others, but it's much less, and I seem to jump back quicker than before the lifestyle changes.

I can only imagine what someone must have to go through to get to my level of happiness, when they are dealing with severe, clinical depression.

It just may not be possible to effectively combat it. Doesn't sound pretty, or match some people's ideals, but something tells me this is the truth.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I started to read your post and decided before I finished that you are not a person that has ever suffered from depression because I remember at one point when I was well that I always pondered to myself that if I ever got depression I'd just be posative and happy and it would go away. Let me tell you that this isn't the case, it is not as easy as that and sometimes we just don't have the support to get us through.

But on the other hand I agree that we can change it, like you say lets fo some exercise, lets earn some acomplishment but that is indeed a self defeating dream. As much as that will help, and I know it will 100%, the fact of the matter is that a real cronically or clinically depressed person will suffer from an acute lack of motivation, therefore their self healing is not an option for them.

Believe it or not most people who feel depressed would do anything not to be and many of those people understand that some lifestyle choices would help them in their quest. But make no mistake about it depression is as de-abiliatating as losing your legs. starred you because I think you understand half of the problem but lack the understanding of the illness to truely understand the symptoms.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I suffer from depression and I know for a fact what is causing it. Its the system and the people who blindly believe in it. I just wish I was born on another planet cause it has got to be better than the one I am residing in....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by minor007

If you ever find that place please let me know as I long just to be alive and not restrained.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Like I said, so many people, so many cures.

I agree with the struggle, though. It will be a struggle for a life time. You will always be confronted with negative thoughts and traps and sink holes along the path you are walking. The trick is, and that's the hard part, to be able to try and see yourself struggeling once you do and just accept it as is. Like a by-stander looking at an athlete at the end of his lungs, knowing you can only be compassionate and cheer for him.

The point is to realize that when you let go and allow yourself to sink back into bliss, you're doomed.
You can be sad from time to time, but you will go on; you can be depressed from time to time, but you go on. And you ameliorate.

It's far from easy. Easy was way back; when you were blissfully able to to blame it on the genes and your parents, giving you reason not to act. Now you act. And that's fulfilling.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I think that may just be truely profound or at least invigorating. I wish I had your resolve.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

I started to read your post and decided before I finished that you are not a person that has ever suffered from depression because I remember at one point when I was well that I always pondered to myself that if I ever got depression I'd just be posative and happy and it would go away. Let me tell you that this isn't the case, it is not as easy as that and sometimes we just don't have the support to get us through.

But on the other hand I agree that we can change it, like you say lets fo some exercise, lets earn some acomplishment but that is indeed a self defeating dream. As much as that will help, and I know it will 100%, the fact of the matter is that a real cronically or clinically depressed person will suffer from an acute lack of motivation, therefore their self healing is not an option for them.

Believe it or not most people who feel depressed would do anything not to be and many of those people understand that some lifestyle choices would help them in their quest. But make no mistake about it depression is as de-abiliatating as losing your legs. starred you because I think you understand half of the problem but lack the understanding of the illness to truely understand the symptoms.

Not to be boasting, but I am clinically depressed for over a decade. Maybe even more. Hard to tell when it really started.

I have been trough the instant demotivation, once initiated a step in the right direction.
And it still happens to me. The people I have gathered around me that function as life teachers to me have always told me: "If you fail, your problems aren't big enough".

In your first paragrapgh you state the lack of support, you endure. Broad support from people you trust is invaluable. But you really have to trust them in order for it to work. And you really have let them help you and surrender your ego to the good will of those who are kind enough to support you.
In other words: you really have to want to change.

The key is that your situation is becoming so dire, that you cannot do anything else than change. But with that you will have to have the full understanding and experience that you are in this situation in the first place. Sometimes it emerges as an endless sum-up of bad experiences, sometimes it will come in the guise of a major crisis. The fact is you have to become so fed up with yourself, the only way is up.
If that feeling doesn't ring with you yet, then your status quo still has more advantages than changing it.
edit on 8/3/2012 by CriticalMess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Depression is on the rise simply because there are more people than we have ever had. We just reached the 7 billion mark. More people, more problems!

new topics

top topics

join