It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, you rub the sleep from your "eyes", and realize you need a reliable "source"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If there is one recurring disappointment I face, it's the disillusionment I almost always feel whenever I have any contact with the commercially savvy, highly polished, and yet somehow entirely unsatisfactory "news" reporting in my country.

I understand the 'capitalist' angle of attracting viewers; and the choice to use flash, sensationalism, implied-urgency, pandering to biases, marketing memes, social engineering, cult-of-personality, celebrity worship, political agendas of media owners/combines/cartels/complexes, transnationalists interests, globalists efforts, ultra right wing coddling, flailing leftists agitation, unabashed demagoguery, shameless hyperbole, clever false-flag straw-man gambits, and all the rest....

But I just want news. I think many students of reality, or aficionados of clean logic, may want... news.

My experience in 'rubbing the sleep from my eyes' was in realizing the following:

You are not going to be given "real news" - get over it.

Enter ATS, where we take all that tainted garbage force-molded into the "products" they call 'news' and strip away the veneer of whatever it is they demand we "want" and at least try to get as close to the facts as we can.

I think it might be beneficial to point out a few places where information appears to be forthcoming... until someone can identify a reason to doubt these sources... here are a few I find "illuminating.".

USA Spending.gov

The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA) of 2006, requires that the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) establish a single searchable website, accessible to the public at no cost, which includes for each Federal award:

• the name of the entity receiving the award;
  • the amount of the award;
  • information on the award including transaction type, funding agency, etc;
  • the location of the entity receiving the award; and
  • a unique identifier of the entity receiving the award.

The Federal Register

The Office of the Federal Register informs citizens of their rights and obligations, documents the actions of Federal agencies, and provides a forum for public participation in the democratic process. Our publications provide access to a wide range of Federal benefits and opportunities for funding and contain comprehensive information about the various activities of the United States Government. In addition, we administer the Electoral College for Presidential elections and the Constitutional amendment process.

The Federal Register is updated daily by 6 a.m. and is published Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays, and consists of four types of entries.

• Presidential Documents, including Executive orders and proclamations.
  • Rules and Regulations, including policy statements and interpretations of rules.
  • Proposed Rules, including petitions for rulemaking and other advance proposals.
  • Notices, including scheduled hearings and meetings open to the public, grant applications, administrative orders, and other announcements of government actions.

Office of the Federal Register

The FederalRegister.gov web site is administered by the OFR and operates under the technical auspices of the GPO. This site hosts the Federal Register Electronic Public Inspection Desk, which provides full-text, global access to the pre-publication versions of documents scheduled to appear in the Federal Register on GPOaccess.gov and in printed format. This site also functions as a portal to the official Federal Register publications on GPOaccess.gov, and to Federal Register information services on Archives.gov.

Data.gov

The purpose of Data.gov is to increase public access to high value, machine readable datasets generated by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government.

US Debt Clock

A depressing - but valuable - tool for getting a real feel of how our government is disposing of the money they borrow in our name. (If you really want depressing check this out comparison )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now don't get me wrong; like any good conspiracy theorist I will not attribute these sources as beyond reproach; and often "influences' can be detected within them; however, at the very least - they make a pretense of there being laws demanding factual reporting which we are to assume apply therein.

Rather than continue with my list.... let's see how many of us can share other sources which we would be hard-pressed to deny as 'factual' - PLEASE - no blogs, PACS, or other such psuedo-reporting services...

(... who knows, maybe a politician or two will discover value in using public metrics to explain things, instead of the partisan tripe the media delivers on their parties' behalf; Or the cloistered economic priests interpretations of what 'could/should/might/or presumably' is reality.)
edit on 8-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I know this a factitious question...

But...

If I paid off my share as a individual.

Do I get to keep the rest of my money I earn afterwards?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the list OP ......S&F

I would like to add a few more links to some useful websites to your list.

Government Acountability Office - GAO

en.wikipedia.org...

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) is the audit, evaluation, and investigative arm of the United States Congress. It is part of the legislative branch of the United States government.

The GAO was established as the General Accounting Office by the Budget and Accounting Act of 1921. This Act required the head of GAO to "investigate, at the seat of government or elsewhere, all matters relating to the receipt, disbursement, and application of public funds, and shall make to the President ... and to Congress ... reports [and] recommendations looking to greater economy or efficiency in public expenditures".[2]

According to GAO's current mission statement, the agency exists to support the Congress in meeting its constitutional responsibilities and to help improve the performance and ensure the accountability of the federal government for the benefit of the American people.

Library of Congress

en.wikipedia.org...

The Library of Congress is the research library of the United States Congress, de facto national library of the United States, and the oldest federal cultural institution in the United States.

Thomas.gov

THOMAS is the database of United States Congress legislative information. It is operated by the Library of Congress and was launched in January 1995 at the inception of the 104th Congress.

It is a comprehensive, Internet-accessible source of information on the activities of Congress, including: Bills & resolutions The texts of bills and resolutions Summaries and status Voting results, including how individual members voted Congressional Record, including the daily digest Presidential nominations Treaties

Corporatewatch.org

What is Corporate Watch?
From Corporate Watch's beginnings looking at PFI roadbuilding, we have broadened out to examine the oil industry, globalistion, genetic engineering, food, toxic chemicals, privatisation and many other areas, to build up a picture of almost every type of corporate crime and the nature and mechanisms of corporate power, both economic and political. We have worked with and provided information to empower peace campaigners, environmentalists, and trade unionists; large NGOs and small autonomous groups; journalists, MPs, and members of the public.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Don't I wish. It would be something though wouldn't it? Pay off your share and be done with it!

Of course the system is engineered to preclude ever paying it off... which economists of the 'corp-a-ment' call a "bad" thing....

No debts means no 'bets'...

and if the economic royalty can't gamble... they get all cranky and pissy. They love their gambling so much they create fake financial vehicles to "bet" on..... they're called "derivatives."
edit on 8-3-2012 by Maxmars because: I really should "OT" my own remark here as it is not the point of the thread... apologies.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I would like to see that option with Social Security too. Just keep everything I paid in and I would expect nothing in return. Just stop taking it from me.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It would be fair to say something other than human is dictating just about all information and actions

It would be fair to say it will take something other than human to find truth in this sea of illusion and restore everything back to harmony.

It would be fair to say that our world leaders might genuinely be afraid of something bigger than they are.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

I was hoping more people would share sources that they think are accurate supplying the news and info.

It would be fair to say something other than human is dictating just about all information and actions

I disagree, I control my actions and I think you control yours. There may be something trying to dictate information but I think it's more human driven. MSNBC, CNN, FOX

It would be fair to say it will take something other than human to find truth in this sea of illusion and restore everything back to harmony.

Perhaps if we all tried a little harder to achieve harmony and have more faith in ourselves and humanity?

It would be fair to say that our world leaders might genuinely be afraid of something bigger than they are.

This I hope is true.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
One more for the road

Center for Land Use Interpretation

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is where you'll find DoD contracts as they are awarded....

www.defense.gov...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hansard

Hansard (the Official Report) is the edited verbatim report of proceedings of both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. Daily Debates from Hansard are published on this website the next working day by 6am.

Edit

Would be fantastic to see the information collated and available as a resource page

edit on 13-3-2012 by ukWolf because: As Above

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ukWolf

I'll tell you what... once this thread has aged a bit... assuming more people add to it, I will try to create such a resource for our convenience...

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Here's an interesting, if not authoritative source....

Pew Research "State of the Media 2012" stateofthemedia.org...

which includes a noteworthy section on "Who owns the Media?" stateofthemedia.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Sounds like you are a glutten for punishment

Although its sounds like a very good idea, if you do manage to do that.
Thanks for the thread.

new topics

top topics

join