It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kony 2012 founder Jason Russell, his salary, and media propaganda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
From the sounds of blog posts, Foreign Affairs magazine, and a few media sources you'd think this guy is trying to rip us off somehow, that he's using only 32% of the funds to help people and living in luxury somewhere...

This couldn't be further from the truth!!

This information was taken from Charity Navigator, a website that tracks and provides information on charities and 501 (c)(3) corporations.

YET AGAIN a perfect example of media propaganda to bring the people down. Kony 2012 is a new viral video meant to do one thing, a 9-year dream and promise of one man to help end child abduction, child sexual slavery, children being used as militia members. Jason Russell is a hero... and he worked for only 1% of the profits, which was likely $0.00 a year for many years.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yeah I've seen many a post (on other sites) about this, where the money goes and that most of it doesn't go to charity. That documentary was well done and obviously had a huge impact on many FB readers but is it the whole? Absolutely not.

Joseph Kony Ugandan LRA leader gives first ever exclusive interview

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Here's the original video:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

I'm pretty sure everyone with an internet connection has seen this video

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The 'Invisible Children' vid brought me to tears.
My daughter got really excited about making a difference in the world through this vid.

I think the main problem that people have with the group is the desire to have US military intervention in Uganda.

We all want to see bad people brought to justice but most people do not want the US gov getting involved and using the issue for political advantage.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Threegirls because: to clarify

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That may be a modest salary to some but there is a loophole in 501(c)3 organizations that allows them to legally "outsource" work to corporate entities which may include anyone in the charitable organization.
Their 2011 financial statement has $751,000 in "production costs". It is entirely possible they have hired themselves to do the production work seeing as how they are filmmakers and paid themselves quite well for it.

The US tax code is full of loopholes that allow certain people and groups to make money and not have to report it to anyone but the IRS.

My stink-o-meter went off the charts when I looked in to what Kony2012 was all about.
The man hasn't been seen in over 2 years, Northern Uganda is enjoying relative peace and what was a problem with the LRA has nearly disappeared.

Even if they caught Kony and convicted him it would likely change nothing at all:

But critics say this may solve nothing. They say the problems in the region around Uganda are much more complicated than removing a single leader, however tempting that may be. “The LRA is, in fact, a relatively small player in all of this -- as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence,” according to the Foreign Affairs article. “If Kony is removed, LRA fighters will join other groups or act independently.”

tv.yahoo.com...
edit on 8-3-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

I found it inspiring as well!

My motto is "Be the Media" because I believe communication and bringing people together is truly our only weapon against much of whats out there.

Just for the record, Invisible Children and the Kony 2012 video don't push for military intervention explicitly. They are trying to get the government involved but it so far has provided advisors, support, and communications and reconaissance equipment. Ultimately Kony is not just gonna walk out of there though because someone asked him to; all he knows is fighting and has nothing to lose.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

sigh i see you've jumped on a bandwagon

while i fully agree that kony and others like him are scum
and should be exterminated

he's just the tip of one of the octopus's tentacles
like a snake charming the charmer
and hiding the man behind the curtain

this little "man"

Kissinger plan to transform North Africa and Middle East into Turkmenistan forum.prisonplanet.com...
depopulation_linked_merck_pharma_announces_africa_plan www.infowars.com...

www.schillerinstitute.org...
NSSM200
wlym.com...

related: Christian evangelical organisations as fronts for the CIA; news from Uganda. aangirfan.blogspot.com...

violent intervention closer to home would permanently solve the problem

IMHO the only solution would be to have a Nuremberg style tribunal
put Kissinger and all his cronies,enablers and agents in this on trial for crimes against humanity

expose all the filthy details during the trials
sentence them to death
confiscate their every last penny and put it in a reparations fund for africa
and send them off to africa for their executions

by gasoline soaked tire

edit on 8-3-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Question:did he make 89,000 dollars or 890 dollars? I'm a bit confused as to what % expenses mean.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
.....speaking of gasoline....

www.bbc.co.uk...
tah-dahhhh.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

We all want to see bad people brought to justice but most people do not want the US gov getting involved and using the issue for political advantage

But when not starting the trouble thats just what they do, its problom,reaction,soloution.

This has been just one of many such cases on the back burner for the past ten years and it does not suddenly gain all this attention overnight without someone high up pulling strings.

The ICC is welcome to this man for his war crimes but don't make him jump the queue and lets see Blair, Bush and CEO from Blackwater hang first else people might start talking about double standards.

Gaddaffi they say killed 4000 people (internal tribal conflicts) and NATO then killed 70-100k in Libya from bombs it dropped to save the people

Kony lets say comes in second with 10,000 dead lets say, I don't know real numbers and I don't think they will come from Foxnews.

Bush and puddle Blair on the other hand have cost the lives of 1 million people with WMD lies they are trying to use again and that puts them in a much bigger leage than Kony just from the lies and I've not even started on Bush being in on 9/11.

We won't see Justice untill we take to the streets in force and make it happen so why TPTB have tried to stir up the school kids is beyond me and could well back fire.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm are all for icing Kony, and who wouldn't be? The guy is an @$$hole.
The problem is, the "children" that everyone are hoping to save have been brainwashed by this guy to believe he is divine. They will kill and die to protect him. So in other words, to kill or capture Kony, we'll have to kill these very lost souls we're trying to save. For every "Jacob" there are twenty "Manson Kids."
The very best we can hope to accomplish is to prevent further children from being taken. This is a plus, I know, but as for the rest of them, they are likely beyond rehabilitation after being forced to kill their own parents and even partake in cannibalism. What kind of minds are we looking to set free here?

I just find it interesting that after 20(+) years of terror in that region, no nation made any real effort to help until Uganda became an oil distributor. It's disturbing that it takes something as meaningless as a fad to get this kind of info in the public eye.

Priorities, priorities I suppose.

edit on 8-3-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Im on this "this is a good cause" idea, but thats not really what this is about. I think Bush & Obama are the same thing. Bush wanted this guy, Obama wants this guy..purely for political and strategic reasons. What really worried me though was the imagery. Im new here, but I said in my first post I had just recently stumbled across a man lecturing about the future of "managememt" to Univ of Phoenix on youtube. His name is Gary Hamel. He used the same upside down pyramid and even the same images as far as how the pyramid works. Same psychologically devisive and manipulative speech. This Kony push is the tip of the iceberg. Some how these two are connected, which mean out there somewhere others are using the same imagery for a larger agenda. That little pyrmid between the Kony 2012 and in the Hamel guys presentation...identical. His is a 15min vid called the future of management. It pushes the same system just re packaged....something is going on...something nefarious....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Jules
Question:did he make 89,000 dollars or 890 dollars? I'm a bit confused as to what % expenses mean.

His salary for last year was $89,000; 1% of the revenue.
In previous years his 1% would have been a lot less, but as AskTheAnimals and others have pointed out there are other ways to get money out of a non-profit.

There are a bazillion better ways to make money than go around through Africa helping people but if people want to assume this guy has done it for the money then that's their choice.

After this viral video I imagine his 2012 salary will be huge! He spent 9 years of his life on this... more power to him!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
with due respect to the fact that removing one guy won't change the world (even though Kony has been placed as the number one worst criminal in the world by International Criminal Court) this is about more than that.

Many of us are either ignorant or in denial about The Powers That Be controlling things. Many of us who do know about them can feel powerless to change things....

HOW do we change things? Communication JUST LIKE THIS VIDEO!

Group together, spread the word in numerous ways including government employees, celebrities, posting signs everywhere, sharing it.
The tracking bracelet is sort of odd to me but Psychologically it provides a tangible reward and connection that some people like.

The timing was perfect too... he drops this on YouTube and the world 6 weeks before "the event" allowing it to spread in time but not so long before the event that it will be forgotten.

I think the whole thing is a brilliant and well-directed effort to affect world change.
(and THAT's what makes people uncomfortable. As much as we don't like what's going on many of us resist change and new ways of doing things.)

edit on 8-3-2012 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
That may be a modest salary to some but there is a loophole in 501(c)3 organizations that allows them to legally "outsource" work to corporate entities which may include anyone in the charitable organization.
Their 2011 financial statement has $751,000 in "production costs". It is entirely possible they have hired themselves to do the production work seeing as how they are filmmakers and paid themselves quite well for it.

The US tax code is full of loopholes that allow certain people and groups to make money and not have to report it to anyone but the IRS.

I agree but also want to throw something on the table here....

Do you believe that ALL non-profit corporations are used by people doing things selfishly for monetary benefit?

Yes, the loopholes and possibility of misuse are true but there's not any actual proof that Jason Russell and his group (as individuals) are making a lot of money on this; to assume so is an insult to the overall idea of a non-profit.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
So this guy made 89,000 for this video and you think he's a hero fot it? I believe Richard Gage made 50,000 dollars and people were saying it was all a scam, but by all means 89,000 is a modest salary (sarcasm).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Imperialism wrapped up as activism... when will we learn? Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Iran...

Read this:

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I agree with you, this guy is a total phony...and a war promoter.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

poor Russell, he is just a pawn for the big guns and well, you can see how well he is doing now...

oh and 86K is a piddly amount of money... he got ripped off and screwed.

poor bugga believed in what he was doing... have pity.
edit on 24/3/2012 by Thurisaz because: add pity

top topics

<<   2 >>

join