It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conforming to the social standards of beauty dramatically improves your life.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi
reply to post by Glargod

So I ask you. What makes people want to conform, what makes people want to be superficial?

If I had the true answer to that, I would certainly be rich.

Watch the movie "They Live 1988" it might get you thinking a little bit on Why.

Many others on ATS would say that we are "conditioned" and "brainwashed" by TPTB "the powers that be", to have insignificant thoughts as to not affect the status quo.

We see many things on television and think that it is normal to copy the shows and such. My 19 year old daughter loves "big brother". But she has become a real "corn flake" ever since she started watching it. coincidence? I doubt it.

We are surrounded by numbing agents and stimuli.

In this context, Ignorance is bliss, knowing is frustrating, knowledge is power. take the night off and watch EVERY commercials on TV and notice how seriously ridiculous they all are. we usually don't pay attention to those, but the TV is running, they are usually louder than the shows we are watching, so our brains are registering all the marketing pollutions. They are pros at what they do. Only by being aware of the trickeries, can you avoid being trapped by the lunacy.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Materialistically yes I agree, the big fancy car, $600 dollar jacket, and the $300 shoes are all garbage ideas that people feel they need.

Now on the striving to be something part I disagree, because how would anyone accomplish what they desire without striving to be it?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Please tell me what is wrong with being beautiful, intelligent, successful and happy?

Of course, the definition of those terms will be different for each of us.
Perhaps that is the point.

If all comes to you naturally, I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with it.

I find something wrong with struggling to become any of those as it takes away from experiencing life without struggles.

Life shouldn't be a fight should it?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

In the small amount of time I do watch tv I notice 2/3 commercial breaks advertise some kind of food product, so yes you are constantly being hit with "mmm that looks good".

I really don't enjoy tv ;P

But my question is still this.. Why do the people who have built up these ideas of the norm "after exposure to reality television" want to be this? What makes them want to be the popular kid? Why do they think they have to be popular? Being popular would make them feel confident. It would make them feel like people want to be them so in terms they think that this would make them happy.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

What skill does come naturally? If I pick up a guitar today I won't be able to play it, but after years of striving for it I would.

Now becoming physically fit is something a little different. If I worked out to be fit (actually I'm a swimmer, I was a competitive one for 15 years. I'm only 20 now.) then it wouldnt be to make everyone else happy but for my overall well being. The big biceps to get the lady's is of course what you could call superficial. Models do it to get paid, so I guess you gotta do what brings home the bacon.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think it's also important to realize that many celebrities, once robbed of hair/makeup artists and gorgeous clothing, really don't have beautiful faces.

I bring this up to emphasize the fact that once we see certain hair, makeup, clothes, and above all, confidence, we assume that face is a beautiful one.

I don't think the OP is saying go be beautiful or die. Strangers treat you as well as you apparently treat yourself.

If you don't believe me, go find a pic of Nicole Richie and take a good, hard look...
Now, go look at a turtle crushed beneath a car...
Now look back...
Who's who?
The one wearing the mink is Nicole.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join