It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conforming to the social standards of beauty dramatically improves your life.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The images on the left are the beauty and the people on the right are the below average. Once you look beautiful you are treated WAYYYYYYYYYY different compared to the norms. People respect you more, guys/girls flirt with you a lot, Free stuff, easier time getting a job, pretty kids, etc. I suggest people start going to the gym for that killer body. For men Both your looks and what you provide counts. For the women as you all know it's more so about just looking sex/hot or cute and NOT crossing into the the guys "annoying fat girl" zone.

Let's face the facts. We are human.........Looks, health, sometimes personality and what each gender can provide each other counts. Now you tell me which image below is attractive. BE HONEST and don't say cheesy stuff like "it's what is on the inside". We as a society should be working towards a beautiful people world of peace. Work hard, train your body and be beautiful.

MEN!

WOMEN!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Arm your cannons op, your going to have big girls posting pics of anorexic girls saying "you actually think this is pretty" knowing very well they weigh all of 427 pounds. Then your going have some males siding with these females, and ect.

It's about to get ugly..

But I agree people would be happier if they tried exercising more. Self confidence is very powerful in the real world and fitness helps give that image.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

superficial - that's the kind of people I stear away from. Why live life based on falsities?

I find that this is a PROBLEM with the world.. not a solution.

I dont dress like your run of the mill walmart late night shoppers. Though, I do dress comphy. I also dress nice when it's called for. Still, I cant see living inside of a painted turtle shell to be something Im not.

Smoke and mirrors if you will. Some people simply CANT do what your asking, via poverty, gladular issues, or whatever. If people would stop putting themselves above others, maybe we wouldnt have to worry about the latest fashion.

When I was a kid in elementary school, I got picked on because I didnt wear the latest fad. I got singled out. Pretty crappy huh? My parents couldnt afford the latest trend. Today I can, and I still think it's wrong. Furthermore, at my age, and obviously by your post, people STILL do that today. How sickening.
edit on 8-3-2012 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alyssa
The images on the left are the beauty and the people on the right are the below average. Once you look beautiful you are treated WAYYYYYYYYYY different compared to the norms. People respect you more, guys/girls flirt with you a lot, Free stuff, easier time getting a job, pretty kids, etc. I suggest people start going to the gym for that killer body. For men Both your looks and what you provide counts. For the women as you all know it's more so about just looking sex/hot or cute and NOT crossing into the the guys "annoying fat girl" zone.

Let's face the facts. We are human.........Looks, health, sometimes personality and what each gender can provide each other counts. Now you tell me which image below is attractive. BE HONEST and don't say cheesy stuff like "it's what is on the inside". We as a society should be working towards a beautiful people world of peace. Work hard, train your body and be beautiful.

Ok I'll be honest....your gonna get old, your are gonna get ugly and if all you have going for you is a cultivated belief that beauty is the goal to achieving happiness...good luck with that. Some of the most beautiful men and women in the world are not happy, have been cheated on, have to deal with jealousy, personality issues that deem them highly unattractive after the gift wrapping wears off and are not guarenteed a ticket to happiness.

Second, some of those pics depict people who have had multiple cosmetic surgeries. Not everyone has that advantage. Some have health issues or I don't know, responsbilities that prevent them from being so self obsessed that they spend 4 hours in a gym trying to be Barbie or Ken.

Being healthy does not mean fitting marketing plot ideals of perfection, there is a massive difference. And I thought the girl beside Megan Fox was very pretty, what's wrong with her looks? I thought that both the guys deemed attractive looked way too gay for my tastes. And the chick in the workout outfit, yeah I really want to look transgender, not.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and looks do only go skin deep whether you like it or not. And sooner or later it all goes downhill, but having a great personality does not.

By all means take all the shallow men, I don't want em anyway.

link   
reply to post by theRhenn

So in order to not be superficial you have to be unfit? Or is this just a remark of embedded jealousy? Or even high school labeling of people?

link   
reply to post by Alyssa

I think this is ridiculous. Looks are a matter of opinion, I believe.

I say this because I am 5'3, and weigh 106 pounds. I work out and the majority of men do find me attractive, women too, but there is still that minority that tell me they prefer bigger women/men, although they still find me attractive, they just say they like "more meat" on their woman's bones.

I respect your opinion, as an opinion, but it is not fact. Men love their big beautiful women.

And I, being small myself prefer a rather out of shape man instead of the six pack abs and such. When I see the six pack I think "Self-absorbed" and run the other direction. Although I will admit it is nice to look at and very attractive, as for choosing my partner though, I'd choose the out of shape guy over the washboard stomach guy anyday.

Oh and to clarify - by out of shape I mean doesn't work out. Not obese or overweight, just average.
edit on 8-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because: (no reason given)

Another thing - the sexiest type of man to me aren't these clean cut pretty boys. I like a MAN. With long, unkempt hair, unshaven face, callouses to roughen his fingers, with a thick, hairy chest. These are the strongest looking men to me. I would never choose a pretty boy for a mate. You may not agree, but this is a matter of my OPINION and I will not try to make it fact.
edit on 8-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because:

edit on 8-3-2012 by GreenEyedVixen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

I'll bite and add that I don't think that beauty is the actual goal you should strive for. Just try to be the healthiest you that you can be. Honestly, most people are attractive on their own merit but hiding behind layers of fat it's just not that obvious.

Aside from appearing more attractive, being healthier is just better for you. Men, did you know that high cholesterol and blood pressure is a major contributor to ED? Just check the American Heart Association if you don't believe me. Not only does being out of shape make you look less attractive, it can keep you from fully enjoying the relationship you might have. Don't be satisfied just because you're married. Get out there and get fit and work on yourself.

You don't have to have washboard abs, just don't have a beer belly.
edit on 3/8/2012 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi

So in order to not be superficial you have to be unfit? Or is this just a remark of embedded jealousy? Or even high school labeling of people?

lol

I didnt say anything about unfit. Sorry, I had to edit my post to make it more clear.

There is a diffrence in taking care of yourself, and striving to look like a model and wanting everyone else to conform. No jealousy here. I just think the cituation is ignorant.
edit on 8-3-2012 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

Yes anyone who disagrees must be obese and just jealous, that's it. Go back to your high school, please! And educate yourself on your own ignorance.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

My grandmother used to say to me quite often as I was growing up: "Pretty is as pretty does".

She taught me to to value and cultivate good character qualities and look for them in others.

I was not praised for my physical looks...but I was praised for being kind to others, studying hard etc.

When I left home and went out on my own; getting my first jobs etc. I was surprised at how easy it was to get hired.

At one of the jobs I got... after I was hired... one of the other workers there said: "You know why you were hired?" I said: "because of my credentials, training and letters of recommendation." She said: "No that is not why. You were the best looking one that applied for the job; so you were hired. Our CEO likes pretty women." It was then that I learned many in society considered me attractive; and I had always considered myself quite average in the looks department.

I (so far) in my life have met people (men and women) alike who physically were very handsome and beautiful; but as I got to know them as people (some of them) were very self-centered, selfish, greedy and not very kind; after a while they grew ugly to me...and I cut them out of my life.

Also...I have met people that the longer I knew them the better looking they got...because they were kind and caring people.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

Ever heard of the 7 Deadly Sins? Review here

Your philosophy follows the path of two.

Pride
Main article: Pride
Building the Tower of Babel was, for Dante, an example of pride. Painting by Pieter Brueghel the Elder

In almost every list, pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris (Greek), is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and the source of the others. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour." In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the titulary famed Parisian doctor. In perhaps the best-known example, the story of Lucifer, pride (his desire to compete with God) was what caused his fall from Heaven, and his resultant transformation into Satan. In Dante's Divine Comedy, the penitents were forced to walk with stone slabs bearing down on their backs to induce feelings of humility.
[edit] Vainglory
Main article: Vanity

Vainglory (Latin, vanagloria) is unjustified boasting. Pope Gregory viewed it as a form of pride, so he folded vainglory into pride for his listing of sins.[citation needed]

The Latin term gloria roughly means boasting, although its English cognate - glory - has come to have an exclusively positive meaning; historically, vain roughly meant futile, but by the 14th century had come to have the strong narcissistic undertones, of irrelevant accuracy, that it retains today.[17] As a result of these semantic changes, vainglory has become a rarely used word in itself, and is now commonly interpreted as referring to vanity (in its modern narcissistic sense).

In contrast, One could choose to be virtuous.
Virtue Latin
Chastity Castitas
Temperance Temperantia
Charity Caritas
Diligence Industria
Patience Patientia
Kindness Humanitas
Humility Humilitas

Here is a quote from Ben Franklin
Be in general virtuous, and you will be happy. — Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Eh plastic boobs are superficial. Models not so much, a lot of them are everyday people like you and me just doing there job to get paid. Everyone wants to get paid lol, I assure you there is no meal plan selling for 29.95 on how to be obese.

Superficial usually means insecurity so people with superficial behaviors are more unhappy than most. So to a degree I understand you on not worrying about the norm, but more involved with yourself.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I must agree, a big heart is one of the sexiest things to me.

But it is possible to be beautiful and kind to everyone, which is even better.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Everyone has a certain worth in the sexual marketplace. You have to play the cards you are dealt. I have known physically unattractive men who were very successful with women. One guy I grew up with was a short little guy with a huge nose and horn rimmed glasses. We called him "Proboscis." You could not possibly call this guy handsome or good looking. But he always had the most strikingly beautiful girlfriends. Once I asked him,

"John. How do you do it?" He knew what I meant. He looked at me with a large grin on his ugly face and said,

"Charm!"

So, Item, the first: It's not always about good looks.

Secondly, even if you are DNA-challenged in the looks department, there is no reason for anyone to weigh 3-400 pounds. You may have a harder tine with weight than other people, but letting yourself go simply reflects a lack of will power and constraint. For someone like this who is unattractive by choice to complain about it not being fair is totally bogus and I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

I do believe in the OP's title, but if you do your best to look your best, that goes a long way no matter what you look like. It's kinda like this:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

I can read, thanks.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Superficial usually means insecurity so people with superficial behaviors are more unhappy than most. So to a degree I understand you on not worrying about the norm, but more involved with yourself.

I am not wanting to pick any bones. but here are a few definitions of Superficial

-Concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; shallow.
-Apparent rather than actual or substantial: a superficial resemblance.
-Trivial; insignificant: made only a few superficial changes in the manuscript.

None of which mention self-esteem or insecurity or unhappiness.

I know that you did not want to hear "It is what is inside that counts". But IT IS WHAT IS INSIDE THAT COUNTS
edit on 8-3-2012 by Glargod because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

So I ask you. What makes people want to conform, what makes people want to be superficial?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Please tell me what is wrong with being beautiful, intelligent, successful and happy?

Of course, the definition of those terms will be different for each of us.
Perhaps that is the point.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Eh plastic boobs are superficial. Models not so much, a lot of them are everyday people like you and me just doing there job to get paid. Everyone wants to get paid lol, I assure you there is no meal plan selling for 29.95 on how to be obese.

I dissagree. Anything you strive to be that you're not is superficial.

Having the latest and greatest cell phone, ipad, bla bla bla, because someone else has it is superficial. Many personalities are superficial. My x wife fit both of these all too well.

Buying something because you need it or simply want it for your own personal enjoyment isnt so much, but can be.

Websters:

Definition of SUPERFICIAL
1a (1) : of, relating to, or located near a surface (2) : lying on, not penetrating below, or affecting only the surface b British of a unit of measure : square
2a : concerned only with the obvious or apparent : shallow b : seen on the surface : external c : presenting only an appearance without substance or significance
— su·per·fi·cial·ly \-ˈfi-sh(ə-)lē\ adverb
See superficial defined for English-language learners »
See superficial defined for kids »
Examples of SUPERFICIAL
a superficial analysis of the results
They had a superficial knowledge of the topic.
These superficial changes don't address the underlying problem.
The storm only caused superficial damage to the building.
Wonderbra model Eva Herzigova sued a Canadian underwear company that refused to pay her $30,000 fee because she showed up for the photo shoot with a short haircut that company didn't like. You know, it's shameful in this day and age how superficial and sexist some of these ad execs are. —Lewis Grossberger, Mediaweek, 14 Apr. 2003

top topics

<<   2 >>

join