It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell Qaramel, 11,000-9,500 BC with 5 towers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

No actually it doesn't, people rarely gather a single meal of grain, since they mature in narrow seasons. To obtain it for use you must gather it all in during a specific time frame then store it. It doesn't mean you are farming however it does mean you're utlilizing the best you can

Plus of course....the links make no reference to their having found any stores...

yep just stone mortars - used to grind grain and seeds
edit on 14/3/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by Biliverdin

No actually it doesn't, people rarely gather a single meal of grain, since they mature in narrow seasons. To obtain it for use you must gather it all in during a specific time frame then store it. It doesn't mean you are farming however it does mean you're utlilizing the best you can

Not if you eat according to the seasons. Which would, and does, make far more sense.

Those mortar and pestles are far too small for preparing grains...more likely that they were used for preparing herbs, medicinally...
edit on 14-3-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Since there seems to be no answer forthcoming about the 'towers', I am going to propose another theory that came to me when I was straightening my hair this morning...the value here, at Tell Qaramel, seems to be on the fire itself. Could they not then be chimneys? Or perhaps more specifically, smoke houses? Preserving a protein source for storage would make far more sense to the success of none-agriculturalists, surely.

Similarly, given the wonderful aromas that such a process would no doubt produce, it would make sense to build the outlet for that smoke high, so that it was carried much further by the wind away from the settlement, so as not to attract other hungry meat eating predators...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

Well, we do try to concentrate on the science, instead of the prurience interest of the unseemly

It was a joke. As I'm sure you are aware....

Also, I think you mean "prurient interest." Link

Prurience Link is a noun and, as such would make no sense as a modifier to "interest," as prurient (an adj.) does...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot

Also, I think you mean "prurient interest." Link

Prurience Link is a noun and, as such would make no sense as a modifier to "interest," as prurient (an adj.) does...

Pardon my grammar!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join