It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake catastrophe like Japan's could hit Pacific Northwest, new data show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Quake catastrophe like Japan's could hit Pacific Northwest, new data show

usnews.msnbc.msn.co m

A massive earthquake like the one that unleashed a giant tsunami and killed nearly 16,000 people in Japan a year ago not only could happen here in the U.S., but probably will — and relatively soon in terms of seismological history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I know there are numerous threads on Earthquakes on here and some about Cascadia, I just feel that this would get lost in the sea of posts if not posted to the news. This is potentially huge. The scientists say that it generally happens every 300 years or so. That would make us due for one "sooner than later" according to Japanese studies. Also interesting that they see major similarities to this fault and the Japanese fault.

usnews.msnbc.msn.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3/8/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well, I would rather be prepared for something like this and not happen than the other way around.

I do remember a few weeks ago someone creating a thread on the 300 year old pacific NW and it being common for huge 9.0+ on the Richter scale every 300 years or so.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I have friends and family on the Oregon Coast. Most of the coastline has Tsunami alert systems in place and a good deal of the towns are many feet above sea level. Some homes along the Slough of Coos Bay and Lincoln City and north wouldn't fair so well do to lower level high ground.

wish I was there though, the life there outweighs the risk, know what I mean.
the word Beautiful doesnt even come close.
Never turn your back on the Pacific

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Something is really feeling a bit strange about today???

It could be nothing but I felt very compelled to have this discussion today with my family... Not normal topic for morning conversation.

I would rather be prepared than not.

yes I live in the Pacific Northwest.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If a 9.0 hit off the coast and continued inland, a few feet above sea level won't do anyone much good, especially if the inland area drops as a result of the quake.

I mainly started reading this article because I tend to look more heavily at things that associate with my birthday and they state in the article they believe the last big one occurred on Jan. 26, 1700....Jan. 26 is my bday.

I have also thought about, but could not find, any historical data on other phenomena on or close to that date in 1700, such as solar flares, volcanic eruptions, etc.... Not having much luck in that area right now but continuing to research.

I have said it in posts before, but history does repeat itself, and not just in the human sense, but also in the universal and earthly sense.

Would hate for this to happen in my lifetime, let alone soon. I can't imagine what this would do to the US if it did as well as how easily it would open the US up to attack from enemies taking advantage of the situation.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
has anyone put into account the FULL MOON tonight also?? earthquakes tend to happen more often with the bull of the moons gravity also does it not?? sounds like a perfect storm!! we will have to wait and see what this beautiful world has in store for us the next couple of hr to days!! bring it on mother trucker!!

one earth , one people, one love!!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I believe scientists stated that there is a 95% chance that CA will endure a large EQ of a 7.5 or higher. Which doesn't really suprise me much seeing as how the San Andreas fault is one of the most active fault lines in the entire world.

Actually I'm suprised they haven't yet had a huge one. There is even theories that CA might get rocked so hard it may break off and "fall" into the ocean making it a island...I'm not sure about that one but it might be possible, hard to say, I am no scientist and have no background in Geology. Interesting stuff though.

This would be the last thing the U.S economy needs.

U.S Geological Survey

-SAP-
edit on 8-3-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I live in Seattle...and so of course I am not too thrilled about this eventually occurring.

Last year I had 2 dreams...that a huge quake was going to happen on the west coast in the year 2049.

When we had our last quake here in Seattle it was in 2001...it was a 6.8 quake. Two months before that quake I had dreams about quakes too. I called and told my friends to prepare...that we were going to have a quake.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not to invalidate your post but I live in Vancouver and this is on the front page of the paper every few months probably since the 1980's. We all know this is a likely hood but when it will occur is anybody's guess. I am prepared for an earthquake, as I believe everybody who lives here should, but you just gotta live your life. Not much anybody can do about it....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chefspicy
has anyone put into account the FULL MOON tonight also?? earthquakes tend to happen more often with the bull of the moons gravity also does it not?? sounds like a perfect storm!! we will have to wait and see what this beautiful world has in store for us the next couple of hr to days!! bring it on mother trucker!!

one earth , one people, one love!!

People will always make death and destruction about a certain time period.
Hours, to days, to years... they get you to live in fear either way. Giving up your power.

Go see the movie "In Time".. it really illustrates how we're slaves to time.. in a Bonny & Clyde kinda way.

Either way, the Cascadia faultline being due for an eruption (or past due) is NO NEW THING!
People in the Pac NW have been aware of this forever.

What is new about this "study" that warrants this new kind of alarm??

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I agree with others that you should live your life. You could move to an underground bunker in the middle of the continent, but what kind of life is that?

I think the scary thing is that Japan had better earthquake proof buildings than we have in North America. They also had 30 foot high tsunami walls in high risk areas. They still had massive damage as we all saw.

One seismologist on PBS said that we have to improve our building codes to catch up to those of Japan's, and then some.

edit on 8-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
I agree with others that you should live your life. You could move to an underground bunker in the middle of the continent, but what kind of life is that?

I think the scary thing is that Japan had better earthquake proof buildings than we have in North America. They also had 30 foot high tsunami walls in high risk areas. They still had massive damage as we all saw.

One seismologist on PBS said that we have to improve our building codes to catch up to those of Japan's, and then some.

edit on 8-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

Not sure how much we could do as far as building codes if a quake that big hit off the coast and sent a nice sized tsunami inland. If the buildings are underwater the building code won't matter much then. While the quakes inland may do a lot of damage, I think a tsunami would do more. I am by no means an expert or researcher, I am just of the opinion after seeing the effects and aftermath of both types of disasters that a tsunami would devastate more of the infrastructure of a community than a quake.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Ideally, you would want to protect against both. But if a tsunami hits, more lives would be saved in the upper floors of high buildings that survived the initial quake. If those higher buildings were hardened against earthquakes, some would survive the tsunami. But the yeah, the tsunami will cause more damage overall if there is one.

There was no tsunami during the Great 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and if fact the subsequent fires in SF caused more damage than the quake itself.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This isnt "new". Ive lived in oregon for over 30 years, and not one single year has passed that I havent heard someone talking about new data on the cascadian big one.

Yes its going to happen. No, they dont know when. No, these predictions arent unique. And no, its not some big revelation. Cascadia has been due for some time.

new topics

top topics

join