It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the future, I’m right: Letter from Aldous Huxley to George Orwell over 1984

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by monfra
I wonder whether Chomsky ´s manufacturing of consent theory came to him before or after reading this letter. Thanks OP very interesting post.

Actually Chomsky borrowed the notion "manufacturing consent" from Walter Lippmann, as he writes in about every single book or article on the subject.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matteroni
its a great article, and the huxley vs orwell picture is entertaining, but the internet has the ball now it seems.

also it appears to me that the internet generation is ready to take a stand and topple all of this BS we have going on now with power structures and what not. just look at anonymous for example. its the internet generation making changes and ready to fight against tyranny (or what is perceived as tyranny) in a way that most older people aren't ready to do, maybe because they get most of their info from TV and thus get the idea that everything is okay.

when these TV-watcher generations eventually die off, all we'll be left with is internet generation people and well-informed people who won't take any more of the crap we seem to take nowadays. and when that happens, i think it will be a whole new world.

How much I'd love to agree, I can't.
this discourse on the internet generation is wishful thinking. that generation wants its soma as well, but now it wants it everywhere, any time, any place.
Please take a look at the figures: what webservice is doing best? The one that teaches you about the world? or the one that tells you you have to like everything?
what's the Top 20 on youtube? what trends on Twitter?? Stupid plastic entertainment. Nothing new.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

I always found brave new world more realistic than 1984. Both are a good read. I just wish it was not true. we are currently living in a world that is moving forward into becoming what is depicted in brave new world. all the elements exist already,,
edit on 13-3-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
They were both absolutely right. We are now living in a combination of the two. If the people don't fall for the Brave New World paradigm (sex, drugs, entertainment inducing apathy and acceptance) like the US, where they have swallowed it hook, line, and sinker; they get the 1984 treatment, like Libya, if they don't fall for the BS.

I KNOW this is true; I sell TIMESHARES. We don't have the 1984 or "Shock and Awe" option, only the Brave New World option. Just so you know, they are a scam. Don't ever buy one, it is NOT a good deal no matter what they told you. Ask anyone who "owns" one. They own nothing.

I do the Brave New World plan on suckers every day. First, tug at their little heartstrings. Give them coffee (a drug). Get them to agree to a bunch of emotional stuff. The more they agree with me as I tug their little heartstrings, the more they are going to agree that they should BUY this crap, as in, GIVE ME THEIR MONEY in exchange for smoke and mirrors. Then give them some alcohol (another drug) to congratulate them on their wisdom. If I do it properly, and I always do, they will THANK me for "helping them out". Just like they thank the govt for "helping" them and "protecting" them.

The easiest is when they have kids with them. I can EASILY get the kids to be on my side, and then BAM, I take their money. Just like the govt does, for example this Kony thing going on all of a sudden right now.

I could go on and on. If you ever get on the dishing it out end of this stuff, you can ALWAYS see right through it when it's being tried on you.

You must be so proud.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join