It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unexpected outpouring of grief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
(This thread's relevance to this forum won't be immediately apparent. Bear with me, however)

I just came across a trailer for Back to the Future 4 that was shot last year. I've started watching it, and as I did so, I found myself thinking that I hoped that if Michael J. Fox was in it, that they weren't going to push him too hard, because years ago I learned about his diagnosis with Parkinson's disease.

Then something else happened, however. I started crying. Although it hasn't happened more than once or twice, over the last 20 years I've cried or at least felt severely upset every time I've seen him in the media, because I remember how active he was in the films. I also love the strength of the Geminian influence in him; how even as he ages, in some ways he'll never look much older than 17.

The proverbial celebrity worship behaviour doesn't normally occur with me at all, and it doesn't even with him, for the most part. I just wish that if anybody had to have that disease, that it could have been someone else. There are things that happen at times which are very difficult for me to emotionally tolerate, and that is one of them.

I think this really illustrates the level of grief that I'm feeling at the moment, more generally, where America as a country is concerned. I live in Australia; but part of the reason why I couldn't stay in Nimbin, and had to come back to the Internet full time, is because of the degree of fixation that I have with America and its' politics. I have been exposed to the pro-American cultural indoctrination as much as anyone, growing up, and a lot of it has really become internalised; more than it should have been.

I love your country, Americans; probably a lot more than I should, especially because I haven't been there. A lot more than is healthy. I have spent close to the last 20 years of my life, doing little else but focusing on your politics. I know virtually nothing about Australian politics at all. I think, however, that what I really feel positive towards, is what the country was, and not what it is now. I think that's also why the American military get treated so badly on this forum; not just by me, but by people who actually live in the country as well.

We feel betrayed by you. Even those of us who live outside of the country do. You wanted America to be the proverbial light of the world, and as a result of your exported culture, many of the rest of us on the planet were raised to want that as well. The problem is, that you also aren't any more. Abu Ghraib has happened, and any number of other horrible things. Iraq in particular has been almost completely destroyed.

I don't know whether there are many of you within the country itself, who are as obsessed with your politics as I am; but if there are, then I am begging you to take whatever steps you can, towards the restoration of the Republic. The Jeffersonian system has been almost completely legally destroyed at this point, and there are new assaults mounted against what is left of it every day.

America wasn't meant to be the proverbial Great Satan; an instrument of psychopaths to spread death and misery all over the globe. She was meant to be the exact opposite.

I had a dream the other night, I didn't understand.
A figure walking through the mist, with flintlock in his hand.
His clothes were torn and dirty, as he stood there by the bed,
He took off his three-cornered hat, and speaking low, he said:

"We fought a revolution, to secure our liberty.
We wrote the Constitution, as a shield from tyranny,
For future generations, this legacy we gave,
In this, the land of the free and the home of the brave."

"The freedom we secured for you, we hoped you'd always keep.
But tyrants labored endlessly, while your parents were asleep.
Your freedom gone, your courage lost, you're no more
than a slave,
In this, the land of the free and the home of the brave."

"You buy permits to travel, and permits to own a gun,
Permits to start a business, or to build a place for one.
On land that you believe you own, you pay a yearly rent,
Although you have no voice in choosing how the money's spent."

"Your children must attend a school that doesn't educate.
Your Christian values can't be taught, according to the state.
You read about the current news, in a regulated press.
You pay a tax you do not owe, to please the I.R.S."

"Your money is no longer made of silver or of gold.
You trade your wealth for paper, so your life can be controlled.
You pay for crimes that make our nation turn from God in shame,
You've taken Satan's number, as you've traded in your name."

"You've given government control to those who do you harm,
So they can padlock churches, and steal the family farm,
And keep the country deep in debt, put men of God in jail,
Harass your fellow countrymen, while corrupted courts prevail."

"Your public servants don't uphold the solemn oath they've sworn.
Your daughters visit doctors so their children won't be born.
Your leaders ship artillery and guns to foreign shores,
And send your sons to slaughter, fighting other people's wars."

"Can you regain freedom for which we fought and died?
Or don't you have the courage or the faith to stand with pride?
Are there no more values for which you'll fight to save?
Or do you wish your children to live in fear and be a slave?"

"Sons of the Republic, arise and take a stand!
Defend the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land!
Preserve our great republic and each God-given right,
And pray to God to keep the torch of freedom burning bright!"

As I awoke he vanished, in the mist from which he came.
His words were true, we are not free. We have ourselves to blame.
For even now as tyrants trample each God-given right,
We only watch and tremble, too afraid to stand and fight.

If he stood by your bedside, in a dream while you're asleep,
And wondered what remains of our rights he fought to keep,
What would be your answer, if he called out from the grave?
Is this still the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave?

-- Thelen Paulk
edit on 8-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Beautifully written and described.

Rest assured, Australian friend, that there are thousands, 10's of thousands of Americans who want nothing more than to see America restored to her former glory before we were overtaken by the evil that besets us now. In addition, un-numbered amounts of Americans who work tirelessly, both via our election processes, as well as through the other rights that the Constitution still gives us (for now.) Such as peaceful protests, legally filed court cases and so forth.

Send us some good positive thoughts. We ARE the descendants of the same people who originally founded this country. We ARE still hardwired towards freedom and liberty. Never underestimate the power of the American Spirit. While it's true we are boatloaded with corruption on may sides, (media, politicians, bankers etc etc etc) we are still WE THE PEOPLE.

This is one reason I get angry when people from other countries hate America, and voice it. What our so called "leaders" do is NOT who we, the American people are.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Thank you, OP. What a beautiful, heartfelt post!

And as the other poster stated, we the people of the US do not represent our leaders any more than they represent us these days.

I believe this applies across the board to all peoples of all governments on this planet. That is why I have a difficult time justifying any war for any reason. These wars and invasions simply do not represent the sentiment of the governed, only the corruption of those governing.

Thank you again, OP. I was very touched by your post.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I cannot add anything more than the previous 2 posters have already done. But I will again say thank you, and leave behind a video with lyrics to one of my favorite songs by a band called A Perfect Circle titled "The Fiddle and the Drum".... it seems appropriate for this thread and sums up in about 3 minutes how I feel about my own country.

edit on 8-3-2012 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: embedding issue

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thanks OP. For my entire life I have shared your idealism, felt a great pride, and made every effort to preserve our liberty, privacy, and independence. In the 50's as a young boy I experienced our progress in communications, transportation, and technology. In the 60's I witnessed the racial barriers and inequalities being torn down and our social norms become less pigeon-holed and more individualized. I thought that was all as it should be and maybe too long in coming but it had arrived, with its own tragedies and imperfections but felt those were just growing pains and hurdles to be surmounted. It felt like we were on the right track then.

Authorities and oppressive figures took notice as well and they felt their control slipping away. They were previously content with their positions in the front of the bus. They did not like the idea of equality nor the supposition that other people's values and expressions were as valid as their own. They just did not like to share in the glory with those they considered their "inferiors" so they lashed out by promoting and passing measures to force them all to conform to their ideals. They created new monsters they would swear were "un-American" and set traps to round them up so they could point to them as a group to further villainize them and illustrate their point.

It is not difficult to sell people the notion that what is different is not good and should not be tolerated. It is not difficult to legislate "morality", it just does not work in a free society. The 70's saw people become more individualized and graft and corruption in government was being more openly exposed, then after a few victories by "We the People" in that decade things were settling down and people were becoming more complacent as the pendulum swung back to the center and the authoritarians began to make their moves to turn the tide of individual freedoms back rather than progressing onward to accept personal independence. Segments of society were marked for frontal assaults with restrictive laws seeking conformity and protecting old markets that were then losing some of their elevated stature.

By the end of the 80's and early 90's those laws were creating a new criminal element and society was in an upheaval. Then President George H. W. Bush promised us more restrictive laws to combat the rising unrest. He promised us more prisons to house the violators, more prosecutors to put them in there. Probably more than any other President he kept to his promises and that is the course America has been on since. We have been courted or coerced to become a more homogenous society. This has become the new model of equality with a system of justice where one size fits all. This takes us to where we are today, still strong but crumbling in our core ideals.

This sort of group-think and regimentation has put us on a more imperial path where we are no longer the world's standard-bearer of freedom, ingenuity, and progress but one could only hope the world will see where the authoritarian path will lead. If indeed Americans will wake up in time to stop and reverse this intrusion on our personal liberties it will be a tough road back to where we belong. It appears inevitable we are heading for some kind of crash, and then we will have to dig our way out of the trenches. If we are strong enough to do so we may maintain or regain our place as the world's innovators. We should hope we remember what it takes to maintain our freedom and not give it away again.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I don't know whether there are many of you within the country itself, who are as obsessed with your politics as I am; but if there are, then I am begging you to take whatever steps you can, towards the restoration of the Republic. The Jeffersonian system has been almost completely legally destroyed at this point, and there are new assaults mounted against what is left of it every day.

US citizen here. I follow politics every day and watch in horror, as votes are ignored. The PTB's 'MSM' push and push and push Romney, Santorum, Gingrich. They are saying to us (rabble) "You are NOT ALLOWED to have anyone else. End of story." It's a total fraud. If votes are discounted, then, what are we supposed to do? Become Lee Harvey Oswald? Not me.

I am at a loss as to how to comfort you. I have no comfort too.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
By the end of the 80's and early 90's those laws were creating a new criminal element and society was in an upheaval.

I think Ronald Reagan did America a lot of harm. The corporate deregulation which started occurring under his watch seems to have led to the mess you've got now, in large part, as well as causing the country's industrial infrastructure (that is, its' capacity for producing real, tangible wealth) being completely offshored. I remember reading about Jimmy Carter dropping the ball with domestic peak oil in 1978, the year after I was born, as well. Americans probably should have started trying to implement alternative power generation back then; it probably would have staved off a lot of the current problems with the Middle East.

I think some of the hawks aren't necessarily bad people, as much as they only think of their own country. I knew a Texas oil man six months ago, who'd come out here to retire with his wife. He wasn't a bad man at all; he was an engineer and believed in doing very solid work, and complained bitterly about the bad work done which led to the Deepwater Horizon and other disasters. But he also just had the attitude that his country needed oil to keep going, and it was in the ground somewhere, so they had to go get it. It was as simple as that; and I think that is a bit too much of a simplification for the other people who actually lived in those countries.

Then President George H. W. Bush promised us more restrictive laws to combat the rising unrest.

Bush Sr always reminded me of the sports coach that the Alpha Betas (the jocks) had in the second Revenge of the Nerds movie. The Bushes were a rich, oil and military/industrial complex family, going back a long way. Vannavar Bush was supposed to have been in MJ-12, back when that got started. I don't feel that they were good people to have ruling a country, because they were the type who had an "in" crowd, and only really cared about what happened to that group. They weren't the sort of people who were going to do anything about it, if the public were starving in the streets.

Obama tries to make out that he is kind, but in reality he's ten times worse. He is also very double faced, it seems. You will hear him say in public that it is only the Republicans who want some repressive piece of legislation, and then Alex Jones lets us know that in private, he was the one insisting on all the terms of it behind closed doors, when other people were trying to talk him down.

Obama is shaping up to be the single most dangerous President that America has ever had in my mind, because of that. He can do the most horrific things in private, yet in public he will stand in front of the cameras and give the sort of speech that would cause any conservative grandmother's heart to melt. Bush Jr was actually safer, because of the fact that he was a naked psychopath; anyone who looked at him knew immediately what they were getting...there were no bones about it. But with Obama, unless you've watched him or read about him for a while, you can't tell. He's a liar, and a very, very good one.

He promised us more prisons to house the violators, more prosecutors to put them in there. Probably more than any other President he kept to his promises and that is the course America has been on since.

I saw that. He seemed to do it domestically first, and then his son did it internationally with Guantanamo Bay.

We have been courted or coerced to become a more homogenous society. This has become the new model of equality with a system of justice where one size fits all. This takes us to where we are today, still strong but crumbling in our core ideals.

You need to get your factories back. You also probably need to get back on the gold standard. There were a lot of steps taken to put the dollar on a basis of thin air; the last one was Nixon's basing the dollar on foreign oil. There's talk that Ron Paul is willing to revert all that, but I don't think David Rockefeller and the other international bag men in the shadows are going to let him do it. They've shot more than one President who didn't do as he was told.

If indeed Americans will wake up in time to stop and reverse this intrusion on our personal liberties it will be a tough road back to where we belong.

I don't know how that is going to happen for you at this point. The government demonstrated at Waco that they are entirely willing to violate Posse Comitatus themselves, and they keep staging false flag school shootings in order to undermine the Second Amendment in the minds of the public who don't know better. You're losing your legal right to own guns, while the government is arming itself more fiercely than ever before.

As you say, it is going to be difficult.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Obama is shaping up to be the single most dangerous President that America has ever had in my mind, because of that. He can do the most horrific things in private, yet in public he will stand in front of the cameras and give the sort of speech that would cause any conservative grandmother's heart to melt. Bush Jr was actually safer, because of the fact that he was a naked psychopath; anyone who looked at him knew immediately what they were getting...there were no bones about it. But with Obama, unless you've watched him or read about him for a while, you can't tell. He's a liar, and a very, very good one.

YES. And it just occurred to me, that under the Clinton Admin, another 'Democrat', the children in Waco were burned up by the FBI. So here is my 2 choices for November. Republicans who desire to burn up more children in the Islamic countries, or Democrats who desire to burn up more children, there, annnd, here. Those are my 2 choices, and it makes me feel like I have been d****d to eternal Hell, am living there now, been living there, and from now on.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
MyMindIsMYOwn: Gosh, that video sounded almost like a eulogy fro America. Very sad.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nana2
MyMindIsMYOwn: Gosh, that video sounded almost like a eulogy fro America. Very sad.

It kind of reminded me of a video I created after the so called "elections " of 2008. Not sure how to imbed, here is the link:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

It kind of reminded me of a video I created after the so called "elections " of 2008. Not sure how to imbed, here is the link:

www.youtube.com...

I just watched my video again, I had forgotten that halfway through it, I noted a lot of potential hope for us, worth a watch if you want to see it.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nana2

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thank you Saucerwrench

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Wait a minute.... there's gonna be a Back to the Future 4? How do I not know about this. Brb, YouTubing.

Don't cry! There's gonna be another BTTF 4! I think there is.. if there is not gonna be a BTTF 4 then its okay to cry.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well put Petrus.

as hurdygurdy stated:

we the people of the US do not represent our leaders any more than they represent us these days.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American. So many of the foundational beliefs of our country have gone by the wayside,been thrown aside, are forgotten. It's a crying shame. (no pun intended).

It's obvious whichever political side you are on that we need 'change', but we need to change back to the foundations of this country. TPTB have taken control and We The People seem to longer count.

I'm so disgusted I didn't even vote Tuesday, and have a frame of mind not to vote in November either.
The negative ads just turn me off, and the way they twist things out of context..... it's just a dirty game.

edit on 8-3-2012 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2012 by horseplay because: typo. pet peeve.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Wait a minute.... there's gonna be a Back to the Future 4? How do I not know about this. Brb, YouTubing.

Don't cry! There's gonna be another BTTF 4! I think there is.. if there is not gonna be a BTTF 4 then its okay to cry.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

themovieblog.com...

Apparently not.

new topics

top topics

join