It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Attitude' gets 6th grader handcuffed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101

What! Now we arrest children for being rude! What is wrong with our teachers in America that they have to resort to the criminal justice system when a student misbehaves? Talk Back to the Teacher? Handcuffs for you little girl!!
Don't put my little girl in handcuffs at school!! If this happened to my daughter I would get revenge. Its like conditioning for a police state where everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Conditioning to be a slave.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I think this is related to the issue with teachers having to raise children because the parents are too lazy. Instead of raising 20 kids each year, teachers have decided to let the police force the parents' hands and whip up some responsibility in the homes.

Unfortunately, this usually results in foster care, because police involvement convinces parents that their kids are too much trouble...they become even less eager to handle them, and they pass the buck to the next unfortunate "parents".

And you wonder why I respect birds more than I do humans.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I reread the story, and I'd like to point out a few things.

1. The police officer was assigned to the school as a resource officer. Most middle and high schools have a police officer on staff and in the building at all times. Says a lot about our society that this is necessary, but it is what it is.

2. The officer was not immediately called to remove the child. According to the article, "When intervention attempts with a counselor failed,". So the administration took the child to the counselor. We don't know what occurred in the counselor's office, but my guess (based on years of teaching), is that the child became even more unruly. Things may have escalated to a point that the resource officer had to step in to keep everyone safe.

3. The child was not arrested, but removed to a separate facility. Yes, she was in hand cuffs. This is the policy of the police department.

4. This is the most important point: when the child asked what she would do the next time, she replied "Not to give them attitude. I blame myself.". She learned her lesson!

Those are the facts, according to the link provided in the OP. Knowing this, I firmly believe what happened was justified and effective.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Glad he was taken away......he deserved a reality check

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

A Colorado sixth-grader was handcuffed and taken to a juvenile holding facility for disobeying an assistant principal and being "argumentative and extremely rude,"

Since when is any of that against the law? School laws do not equal national or local laws, sorry but if I was this kid's parents I would walk in that school beat the hell out of the assistant principal then go get my lawyer take them to court. If they could speak afterwards.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

A Colorado sixth-grader was handcuffed and taken to a juvenile holding facility for disobeying an assistant principal and being "argumentative and extremely rude,"

Since when is any of that against the law? School laws do not equal national or local laws, sorry but if I was this kid's parents I would walk in that school beat the hell out of the assistant principal then go get my lawyer take them to court. If they could speak afterwards.

See? Even more. This attitude is exactly what MAKES this happen. Duh.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

if I was this kid's parents I would walk in that school beat the hell out of the assistant principal then go get my lawyer take them to court.

Cops would be on you like white on rice. You'd be calling your attorney from jail. Your problem child would be the least of your worries when your faced with an assault/murder charge.

Teachers are afraid of students/parents who are capable of expressing themselves violently. If teachers are too quick to call LE maybe parents/students are too prone to violence. When parents/students won't address the problem in a cooperative way there are no other options. In this case the counselor wasn't making any headway. So what's left?

This girl could've been going to her locker for a gun. Teachers are trying to keep a close eye on students but everyone has to cooperate. This girl needs to understand why it's important to follow rules. Since her parents haven't taught her well enough LE will pass that message along. Hard lesson but it should've been taught at home.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

And when the cops broke down your door and beat the hell out of you, and then put you in prison for a lengthy period, you would be getting just what you deserved for attacking probably what is and older lady who only followed what is probably established policy.

Why don't you go beat up the cop who handcuffed the girl?

People like you are the reason they are having to use police officers to deal with minor disciplinary problems in grade schools these days.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If my daughter had acted like this, getting handcuffed would have been the highlight of her day. She would have spent the rest of the day in her room without games and cell phones, contemplating how to apologize to the assistant principle, depending on her attitude.

Then again, my daughter knows better.

Considering how there are people who have created this whole discipline problem because they can't discipline their own children, how else did they expect it to go.

The next step will most likely be having a parent/teacher/cop meeting with the parents of the child with discipline problems.

I saw this coming long ago. We'll see how bold these parents are with a cop present.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101

What! Now we arrest children for being rude! What is wrong with our teachers in America that they have to resort to the criminal justice system when a student misbehaves? Talk Back to the Teacher? Handcuffs for you little girl!!
Don't put my little girl in handcuffs at school!! If this happened to my daughter I would get revenge. Its like conditioning for a police state where everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Conditioning to be a slave.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Parents like you, is why we have kids like this. No respect for authority...never mind cops...never mind teachers...I'm talking about potential bosses. Bet you don't teach them to disrespect the future government official handling their food stamp application.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Let me get this straight.
1. She was argumentative and rude.
2. Others were brought in to invervene.
a. That didn't help
3. The police were called
4. She was handcuffed.
a. Handcuffs do not leave marks unless
i. They were on too tight or
ii. A person struggles against the handcuffs
iii. She didn't want to cooperate and probably struggled against double locked handcuffs (double locking is a preventive technique to stop them from becoming too tight.)
5. Mom says the cops were wrong.

Is there something I am missing here?
edit on 8-3-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Clue us all in on what type of training you would suggest? Talking to disrespectful children and trying to reason with them no longer works anymore. All you'll get is more disrespect, maybe an F bomb, a hand in your face and than walking away. Just like this young girl did.

If you can't teach your kid simple manners and respecting people who are in authority at an early age, the problem will only get worse.

For those of you who think some of these children don't need to be handcuffed and removed by police, spend a week in a high school observing how these kids act. They're really out of control, and laws make it difficult to remove children who are disrupting the education of children who are motivated to learn.

Teachers hands are tied. Children no longer have consequences for their actions.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The purpose of the "educational system" is not to educate your child. The real and secret purpose, is to create OBEDIENT citizens.

A real educational system would look very different, really did not see one around the globe yet.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As a Teacher - I have one rule in the classroom - RESPECT. It is written on the board - in the top left corner. The rule is applied to everyone and everything - including me.

It does not take long for Students to start applying RESPECT to everything. When I tell them it applies to me - you could hear a pin drop.

When a Student steps over a boundary all I have to do is ask whether that behaviour/comment was respectful - it always works a charm. Particularly naughty Students I always ask myself - what did they endure at home last night, was there anything to eat at home for breakfast etcetera.

I don't have time for this - probably meant - I do not have to take this rudeness from you and rather than allow it to escalate I am going to walk away. Why didn't the so called adult think about their own behaviour and ask why the Student walked away?

Teachers are not above Students - Teachers do not know everything - Teachers need to teach manners and respect if they want it returned.

Much Peace...to all Students everywhere who like some Teachers are also tired of the antiquated education system...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
if i was a deputy and got called for this i would arrest vice principal for filing false report. seriously arresting someone for being rud rikers would burst wide openv as would most jails

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ok anybody that has not graduated in the last five years, your opinion does not matter. you have no clue what the schooling system is like. Teachers are the bane of students. When you ask teachers how to do something, and they tell you you are $&@! Out of luck, that's the teachers fault. Then you are given work that older generations learned in college in 7th grade, and you have work to take home like this for eight classes. Why bother trying to learn when the teachers don't care about the students. They don't deserve respect. In my school if you were found with food from the lunchroom on school grounds outside the lunchroom you were put in detention.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
What IS it with today's Americans?

You want everything..big cars, big houses, big salaries, Stalinist Russia...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Maybe Rikers should be busting at the seems.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
if i was a deputy and got called for this i would arrest vice principal for filing false report. seriously arresting someone for being rud rikers would burst wide openv as would most jails

Did you read the article? Nobody called the police. The school resource officer used his authority and judgement to remove the child. The child wasn't arrested.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

Sounds to me like the little girl had bad parenting and what are the poor people these kids are dumped on supposed to do?

Odds are this little girl learned this from her own parents. At that age kids are simply parroting the environment they are raised in.

Schools are not dumping grounds for unruly kids and those working in the schools are not responsible for the fact the kids come from bad homes or bad parents.

The real solution is to handcuff the parents for creating monsters and then dumping them off on society.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Stories like these make me so glad I homeschool my girls.... Kids sometimes give attitude, fact of life. They are people too, not trained little robots. If you can't handle a little attitude, I don't think you deserve a position at a school....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join