It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ufo Sighting In Virginia (March 5th 2012)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Ok, a few days ago I was sitting in my room relaxing and watching T.V then abruptly there were three stomps on the floor followed by a loud "GET UP HERE NOW!" from upstairs. So I ran up to see what I was being so rudely summoned for and my roommate says "Look out the back door."
I do as he asked and stuck my head out and saw three large yellow spheres in the sky just hanging there suspended.
So at this point I'm giddy, I'm a firm believer in intelligent life and UFO's so obviously I'd be excited. This was only my second time seeing something unexplained in the skies.
Naturally I run and get my camera, which of course would be dead. Then I pull out my cellphone but for some reason it wouldn't focus on the sky and just blurred the whole thing into darkness.

Now I live in Winchester V.A, kind of up in the mountains with a great view of the stars. I go online and I have an I.M from a friend that lives in Stafford telling me to look all around the sky because there is three yellow lights, which made me think either there was two of these things, one close to me and the other near him, or this is one LARGE craft.

It wasn't high up it was surprisingly low, like mid sky. The bottom sphere looked like it was right above the roof of the house 50 feet away.
Soon the air traffic goes nuts, the sound of planes everywhere along with little red and blue lights, like our planes were observing or chasing this thing, but still these yellow lights hadn't moved.
Also, our planes would flash in and out like they were being illuminated by lightning although there was none.

Since I couldn't get a picture I hastily made this so you could get an idea.
CLICK

For a while longer we kept watching these light stay hung in the sky until the top right one randomly moved and went up for about two seconds then completely disappeared but the other two stayed in the same spot.
It then looked like this.
CLICK

A few minutes later the bottom one just disappeared leaving the top left one by itself for only a few minutes before this one also vanished.

Basically I'm asking two things, didn't anyone else in the Northern Virginia area see this and also, do we have anything that bright and large that can stay in one spot without making noise?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MyCigs

looks very similar to this sighting at the end of february its a shame neither of you got a photo!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
And you didn't think to put the camera battery on the charger for a few seconds, 5 minutes would sufficed?
How come your other friend didn't get any pictures? Darn it. Sounds interesting.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
What size were these lights at arms length?

No exaggerating please.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Well op, without clicking on any of your links (can't from the ats mobile version).....it sounds like you described a lantern.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

?

3 ligths stabile in the sky disapering one by one doesn't sound like "a" lantern. what? Lanterns move slowly and easily identiyable. You don't make sence to me. perhaps I'm just tired of posters posting prejudged replyes with the only intention of debunking every statements that comes from randoms. If the OP decides to write this thread, this person probably had a reason.
The reason is these lights seemed unnatural and worthy a thread in this forum.
Why debunk it? Do you get paid to debunk all case that have no potentional evidence or are you just a big spetic to the UFO phenomonon?

I believe you op.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It does sound like lanterns...based on your description of their behavior

For a while longer we kept watching these light stay hung in the sky until the top right one randomly moved and went up for about two seconds then completely disappeared but the other two stayed in the same spot.

A few minutes later the bottom one just disappeared leaving the top left one by itself for only a few minutes before this one also vanished.

Depending on the wind at whatever altitude they are at...and remember perception of distance and altitude is incredibly deceiving to the eye.....they can appear to just hang there or they can appear to slowly move or even quickly move.....again, it depends on the wind at the altitude they are at (not the altitude you are at)....let us remember that what it feels like around your body is not what it is like 50, 100, 1000 (and so on) feet in the air....

they also slowly burn out as if they are disappearing...

lanterns is one of the most common misidentifications.....and they are also one of the most widely used party/celebration items now.....which is why we see so many misidentifications....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I dunno GEL, that's a bit of a stretch....

That would be like me mistaking you for Skeptic Overlord. Never gonna happen.....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I agree , sounds like a description of lanterns to me too .

They don't have to be orange , you can get yellow ones as well .

edit on 8-3-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The most interesting part of this is the corroboration with someone in Stafford. That's 85 miles southeast of Winchester. While there certainly could have been lanterns in both places I find it hard to imagine that they would have made the same formation. I also can't think of any events on the 5th, either national or local, that would have involved sending up lanterns.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
The most interesting part of this is the corroboration with someone in Stafford. That's 85 miles southeast of Winchester. While there certainly could have been lanterns in both places I find it hard to imagine that they would have made the same formation. I also can't think of any events on the 5th, either national or local, that would have involved sending up lanterns.

people having private parties send them up....there does not have to be some national or local event....
you can buy them online or at any party supply store...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I know. It just seems odd for lanterns to be sent up almost 100 miles apart at the same time in the same formation. I'm not ruling out lanterns I'm just saying that this detail makes me question the lantern explanation.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I guess I am going on the description of the object rather than the overly detailed story.....

anyways, all we have is one's word to go on here...no photos or video.....so I suppose it is up to one's belief in the story and interpretation.....

*shrug*
edit on March 8th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
And you didn't think to put the camera battery on the charger for a few seconds, 5 minutes would sufficed?
How come your other friend didn't get any pictures? Darn it. Sounds interesting.

Yes I did throw my camera battery in the charger but it takes forever to charge because it's the original battery that came with it so it's running out of juice.

I did toss it in, stare at the lights then at the red charging light and threw it in my camera but it would cut on for a split second than turn off.
It was just not my day for pictures haha.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

people having private parties send them up....there does not have to be some national or local event....
you can buy them online or at any party supply store...

Actually I'm pretty familiar with lanterns.
My father is American but my mom is Japanese and she is one of those mothers that wanted me to know everything about where I come from culture wise.
So I've seen many types of lanterns and flares in the sky from celebrations so I feel like if that's what I saw, I would have recognized it.

top topics

join