It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare & FBI internet shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Just a question, does anyone else think its a coincidence that the FBI are meant to be shutting down the internet the same day as a huge solar flare hits earth, and does anyone else think that the FBI will shut the net down and say the solar flare caused it? Discuss

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Either we are still on the internets, or those mushrooms I had for dinner last night were dodgy.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Either we are still on the internets, or those mushrooms I had for dinner last night were dodgy.

Of course we are, but the 8th isn't over yet... and the solar flare could still affect us til Friday so the internet might still experience some kind of interference... don't eat the mushrooms, next time make note if their not an ordinary mushroomey color then their dodgy, please stay on topic, its a conspiracy board... so im just throwing something out their that may have relevance. Deny ignorance.
edit on 01/18/2011 by camouflaged because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I got a warning on my Verizon Fios saying that the connection may be interrupted on the 8th. No TV and no internet! The world is ending!

Just be prepared people, and watch out on the west coast.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

The FBI are not shutting down the internet.

A bunch of nameservers were setup to mitigate the effects of a windows virus that was poisoning DNS lookups. Effectively a piece of malware was resolving legitimate domain names to mallicious servers (the malware adjusted the windows computers that were infected to point to a different DNS server).

The malware/botnet command server got shut down and the FBI decided to run a DNS server that could redirect the infected computers to the correct servers seeing as so many computers were infected.

Effectively, if your internet shuts off when the FBI turn these servers off it means your computer has been infected with the dnschanger malware for a very long time.

Another reason not to use windows. As it is not secure, and needs to be hand-held by government facilities in order to continue functioning.

More reading here: www.us-cert.gov...

Nothing to panic about.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I couldn't be sure who was to blame should my internet go on the wonk. TalkTalk is powered by steam anyway.

Don't worry, someones always keeping their eye on your internet.

edit on 8-3-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
How on earth would they have had prior knowledge of a solar flare? We can predict when the sun is going to be more or less active. But it is impossible to predict when a large flare will erupt to the time and date.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Not fair, I was the first one who suggested it in the Solar Flare forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I didn't even get a star.

edit on 8-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
the internet won't die due to the FBI pulling a few DNS servers and a solar flare shouldn't kill it either as alot of the international traffic will be routed via undersea cables but its possible that it could affect sattelite routing but thats not really used much as backbone traffic due to the inherent delay of having to shoot the data miles into the sky then beam it back down, the main people who will be affected by the flare will be sattelite/cable tv viewers due to the fact that they both use space based communications to transmit the programs to the user

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
if you're internet goes down today as a result of the DNS server takedown, it means you were not smart about how you browse the internet and were infected. it's not a conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

No OS is totally secure. It takes a user to click a link or download something to get infected

new topics

top topics

join