It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah Senate passes bill banning contraception education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Progress or ?

I guess it depends on your point of view.

Some will argue this places too much "responsibility" on Parents
and stresses "Individualism" !!

God forbid we should allow such things !

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 14:21 EST -- The Raw Story

The Utah Senate on Wednesday passed a bill that would effectively ban comprehensive education about human sexuality, forcing schools to teach abstinence or nothing at all.

The measure will now go to the desk of Gov. Gary Herbert (R) to be signed into law. The governor has declined to say if he will sign the bill.

The bill forbids advocating for “the use of contraceptive methods or devices,” sex outside marriage or homosexuality. It also restricts teaching about sexual intercourse or erotic behavior.

The "Anti-Mandate" Mandate

Are "teachers" more qualified ?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If you are too uncomfortable to explain the birds and the bees..... You are probably not fit for parenthood.

Not directed at you personally obviously. Speaking in generalities.

edit on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 03:43:38 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
wonder if some of the people voting for it have shares in companies that make nappies/baby milk? as it seems like it would be the only winner from such a law

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Why does America allow over zealous religious fanatics to dictate education policy in schools?

You may aswel just move to Israel or Saudi Arabia.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
Why does America allow over zealous religious fanatics to dictate education policy in schools?

You may aswel just move to Israel or Saudi Arabia.

I'm confused.

Which over zealous religious fanatics are you talking about ?

The "individualists" perhaps ?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

So basically instead of a sound factual and health based education aimed at rationally discussing the topic children learn this.

And I wouldn't say that it places too much responsibility on the parents. But rather it being taught in school ensures that the children are being taught reality and real responsibility.
edit on 8-3-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

What ever happened to reading, writing, arithmatic?

Now schools are expected to teach about contraception?
How about we teach them about bathing as well?

Some things are a parents responsibility.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I'm sure many will now see why the Utah legislature passed the law !!

Plus that, what's wrong with a State questioning the tactics of an agenda they disagree with ?

Centralized agendas only work in centralized localities.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

The bill forbids advocating for “the use of contraceptive methods or devices,” sex outside marriage or homosexuality.

Advocating? So with a neutral point of view, it can still be taught?
edit on 8/3/12 by Maslo because: extext

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Yeah, let's be anti-education...sounds like a great plan

What a retarded bill!!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
wonder if some of the people voting for it have shares in companies that make nappies/baby milk? as it seems like it would be the only winner from such a law

Believe me, if I tell you that they make a killing here in the south with the welfare babies.
, we are after all one of the welfare state on top of the list, with about 100% unemployment in many cities a strong hold of the southern Baptist church but darn the like to fornicate and reproduce welfare children.

reply to post by Ixtab

Because America is full of crappy religious zealots that their job is to push agendas in the name of god while letting the system take care of the results, then condemn the results when they become adults on welfare, fornicating and reproducing and then the circle starts all over, without the vicious circle of blame, sex and complain religious zealots will have nothing better to do, but realized that their lives are as crappy as those they complain about.

Then you have the political whores that will sell even their grandmas and daughters for the right amount of money.

After all religion and salvation does reap big profits this days and is all tax exempt.

Contraception should should be free for anybody in childbearing years in this nation, that will save a lot of tax payer dollars that otherwise will go to welfare children.

Nothing but morons we got this days in government and religious leadership.

edit on 8-3-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Public schools have always been a conduit in which society attempts to better individuals through, not just classical educational subjects, but societal complexities as well. I am not a young man anymore, but I clearly remember sex education (which included contraception), during my school days. I also didn't grow up in a liberal coastal state but rather square in the middle of the Bible belt. My father-in-law was educated in a one room school house, and while I have never asked him about "sex education", we have had numerous conversations about how the teacher instructed the class in the art of proper cleanliness, manners, decorum, etc.

Public schools have never been about just reading, writing and arithmetic. Horace Mann, the father of Public Education in America stated:

“Education...beyond all other devices of human origin, is a great equalizer of conditions of men --the balance wheel of the social machinery...It does better than to disarm the poor of their hostility toward the rich; it prevents being poor.”

Should sex education that includes information about contraception be taught in school? No. Does it need to be? Probably. We live in an imperfect world and have imperfect tools in which to try and better society, but that is no reason to not try, in fact it is all the more reason to double our efforts.

new topics

top topics

join