It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Through the Wormhole" - Will We Survive First Contact?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Some people have made the argument: "If these people can travel through the galaxy, then why would they bother with the resources on earth? They have a whole galaxy of resources at their disposal"

My answer to that is two-fold:

First, who knows how easy interstellar travel is for a particular earth-visiting race. Maybe they DON'T have the entire galaxy at their disposal. Maybe it was very hard just to get to earth.

Second, who says they are after just resources? As I said in my post above, maybe some alien race is looking for planets very similar to their own to colonize. Earth may be similar in gravity, atmospheric content, atmospheric pressure, and radiation levels -- all very important things. Perhaps in their limited space-travel ability, they rarely find a planet like Earth that they can readily colonize.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Greetings,

I think neither evil or good alien races would establish first contact with us....... You see any declared first contact with aliens......... will immediately cause unification of human race as a species......... And any hostile action by aliens will effectively establish unification.......... evil races will not establish such contact fearing we might unite and eliminate the aliens...... and good races will not establish contact........ that at our present lvl of evolution we will conquer the galaxy..........

And guys & gals please do not say....... what i am saying is bullcrap.......... because i have seen the power of the united human race.......... and the amount of fear it caused in aliens.......... It appears in Greek legend..... that when Zeus created Human ( Bullcrap)........ first human was so powerful that it almost defeated the so called gods....... that part i believe to be true......... so eventually Zeus was able to control the human by Dividing it....... that part i believe to be true also.........

In ancient time Indian civilization was the largest........ it developed many tech and concepts like zero,etc.......There is Ashok stupa in New Delhi,it is made up of iron..... its almost 2500yr old and haven't rusted yet............... then next true big civilization in ancient time was Greek civilization........ they had developed the knowledge of steam engine and many more tech........ next big civilization was Umiya kingdom in Medieval era.... they developed mechanical computer........ yes you read it right.......... They had #ing mechanical computer that used water.......... They devised the first ever most accurate calender by Humans........though it was never put into practice........ And see in modern time.......... Today our Science growth has stopped or slowed..... It is true we are growing technologically but not by science......... most of technology is based on science developed/discovered during the rule of the Imperial Empires..........

So you see.......... Humans always experienced science growth when they are united as a larger nation...... so just imagine the amount of technological and scientific growth we would experience....... should we unite........ and believe me......... most of the aliens fear that......... So they will try to keep us divided till we destroy each other.......... or learn to overcome our differences....... end game depends on the type of alien race...... one thing is for sure they should fear Humans.......

PROUD TO BE HUMAN...............

Have Fun,
Primus

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The problem seems to be that when talking about a hypothetical extra-terrestrial species
that has developed inter-stellar travel, people seem to automatically assume
that they MUST be more advanced than us. I say no. They might have had more advancement
in that specific field of study, but to automatically assume that everything else about them also
would have to be more advanced, well that´s just plain silly.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Oh I agree with that.

It could also be that whatever resources they do need, may be specific to Type II stars like the sun, or planets around that type of star. It could be resources at Jupiter that they really need, and the earth is just a bonus.

Again the problem is: just because we act and react in ways as humans, does not dictate that is how intelligent life from else where would react and be.
Environments and history is what shapes us. If they have a different kind of environment, and of course they'd have a different history, then I'd say they are going to think in ways that we do not.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Good video.

The odds that life exists on other planets is about 99%.

The only reason that people questioned life existing on other planets was because people would say you had to have these once in a lifetime undefined conditions that jump started life on earth.

We now have all these exoplanets, other galaxies, liquid water on Mars and elsewhere, extremophiles and more. There isn't any magic occurance that happened just once on earth. Earth doesn't have some special ingredient that's only found on earth. It's actually more likely that life didn't originate on earth.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
For those of you that claim war like societies wouldn't be able to advance to the point of interstellar flight are forgetting about a few possibilities.

A) The war like civilization could develop tech to travel between dimensions/they could be from an alternate earth in an alternate universe.

B) First contact could come from alien A.I. that is hostile. A war like race of Aliens could have sent robotic A.I. that can reproduce itself and create essential structures from scavenged resources to scout for new worlds and strategic locations indefinitely. They may be programed to detect sentient life and access whether they would be a threat. Hell these A.I. could possibly synthesis genetic replicants of species they encounter to study and infiltrate and undermine their society.

To make a long story short the original war like civilization could have died out millions of years ago while this A.I race spanned the universe with the programed objective to eliminate sentient life that is a threat and procuring resources to create new A.I.'s and ships and weapons for the Armada.

If they scout us out by tracking radio waves or something, we are pretty much doomed. Their will be no greetings or peaceful talks, and even if their are ultimately it would be a farce. Perhaps a method they would use is to provide technology to help us destroy each other. Who says first contact would be in the United States they could just as easily arrive in IRAN of in a terrorist camp and present them with technology to advance themselves or perhaps even weapons that could blow the U.S. away.... in which case will eventually cause problems because the U.S. wouldn't take it sitting down... things advanced to the point where we destroy each other and a alien A.I vessel will not even have to fire a shot.

I hope that first contact is pleasant but chances are that it won't be since it would confirm that these guys have been sneaking around the planet for years abducting our people some of which are returned while others are not. It would be in the nations best interest to keep alien contact under wraps because we would never accept an alien race freely entering our airspace messing with the human population and the military having absolutely zero power to do anything about it. Humans are dumb panicy individuals and chaos will ensue.

Not all humans are level headed rationally thinking individuals. The same goes with any sentient alien lifeforms. You can't paint them all with the same brush. Any civilization we encounter may have a peaceful nature backed by a militaristic society. I mean it would be very bright to show up to a planet without intel and say hey whats up want to be friends without any back up in case things go south. Hell they could have probably seen how humans kill each other and belayed any contact whatsoever. We could have already been determined as a threat.

A) A landing party could have arrived already and our industrial military complex decided to contain, experiment, and steal technology from them.

B) They could have crashed here and instead of helping them get back on their feet... in a first world nation they would be contained and studied in an obscure base. In a third world nation... they could be beaten with rocks and sticks and maybe even be burned in a bond fire.

If I was an alien, I wouldn't pop in unannounced to say hi for fear of my life.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primus87
Greetings,

I think neither evil or good alien races would establish first contact with us....... You see any declared first contact with aliens......... will immediately cause unification of human race as a species......... And any hostile action by aliens will effectively establish unification.......... evil races will not establish such contact fearing we might unite and eliminate the aliens...... and good races will not establish contact........ that at our present lvl of evolution we will conquer the galaxy..........

And guys & gals please do not say....... what i am saying is bullcrap.......... because i have seen the power of the united human race.......... and the amount of fear it caused in aliens.......... It appears in Greek legend..... that when Zeus created Human ( Bullcrap)........ first human was so powerful that it almost defeated the so called gods....... that part i believe to be true......... so eventually Zeus was able to control the human by Dividing it....... that part i believe to be true also.........

In ancient time Indian civilization was the largest........ it developed many tech and concepts like zero,etc.......There is Ashok stupa in New Delhi,it is made up of iron..... its almost 2500yr old and haven't rusted yet............... then next true big civilization in ancient time was Greek civilization........ they had developed the knowledge of steam engine and many more tech........ next big civilization was Umiya kingdom in Medieval era.... they developed mechanical computer........ yes you read it right.......... They had #ing mechanical computer that used water.......... They devised the first ever most accurate calender by Humans........though it was never put into practice........ And see in modern time.......... Today our Science growth has stopped or slowed..... It is true we are growing technologically but not by science......... most of technology is based on science developed/discovered during the rule of the Imperial Empires..........

So you see.......... Humans always experienced science growth when they are united as a larger nation...... so just imagine the amount of technological and scientific growth we would experience....... should we unite........ and believe me......... most of the aliens fear that......... So they will try to keep us divided till we destroy each other.......... or learn to overcome our differences....... end game depends on the type of alien race...... one thing is for sure they should fear Humans.......

PROUD TO BE HUMAN...............

Have Fun,
Primus

You would think that an easier solution would be to fire a beam or redirect an asteroid into our planets atmosphere to eliminate the threat because their is absolutely nothing we can do about those things
. but then again why would they want to destroy a perfectly good planet.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I still hold by my personal belief that advanced evolution favors empathy.

Advanced evolution favors empathy with those sharing a large fraction of your genome.

It doesn't favor empathy, vs elimination of resource competition, with those which do not.

There may be a number of nice civilizations, Vulcans who sit at home, play the lyre and discuss mathematics and philosophy. They're not coming here.

Until we can fly to the stars, the ones we're more likely to meet are Romulans bent on expanding for the Glory of their Empire.

edit on 8-3-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelknives52

B) First contact could come from alien A.I. that is hostile. A war like race of Aliens could have sent robotic A.I. that can reproduce itself and create essential structures from scavenged resources to scout for new worlds and strategic locations indefinitely. They may be programed to detect sentient life and access whether they would be a threat. Hell these A.I. could possibly synthesis genetic replicants of species they encounter to study and infiltrate and undermine their society.

To make a long story short the original war like civilization could have died out millions of years ago while this A.I race spanned the universe with the programed objective to eliminate sentient life that is a threat and procuring resources to create new A.I.'s and ships and weapons for the Armada.

This is feasible only if there is only one powerful civilization in the galaxy. If there are two, then eventually one beats the other. If there are three or more, then you can have a stable balance of power if everybody is rational.

In galactic politics, creation of self-replicating military-AI would be considered a crime of genocide, a weapon of civilizational extinction. They would negotiate treaties to ban these out of mutual interest, and possibly create self-replicating anti-military-AI's---robotic immune systems (and there would be an arms war possibly).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
reply to post by eriktheawful

Some people have made the argument: "If these people can travel through the galaxy, then why would they bother with the resources on earth? They have a whole galaxy of resources at their disposal"

My answer to that is two-fold:

First, who knows how easy interstellar travel is for a particular earth-visiting race. Maybe they DON'T have the entire galaxy at their disposal. Maybe it was very hard just to get to earth.

Second, who says they are after just resources? As I said in my post above, maybe some alien race is looking for planets very similar to their own to colonize. Earth may be similar in gravity, atmospheric content, atmospheric pressure, and radiation levels -- all very important things. Perhaps in their limited space-travel ability, they rarely find a planet like Earth that they can readily colonize.

Very good points. Another possibility is that they are looking for biological resources. Mineral resources are easy for any interstellar-traveling species, just mine asteroids, big hunks of pre-refined ore.

Diverse biological resources might be, however, far more rare. Microbial life is probably pretty common in the galaxy, and with panspermia could be transmitted from one planet to another over aeons, but complex multi-cellular life might be quite rare.

And even humans might be very useful. For what? Slaves. Homo sapiens are too independent and dangerous in their wild-type (see Spartacus), but with genetic engineering they could be 'domesticated' by ETs, given a mild genetic frontal lobotomy to take that macho-leader-hero out of them.

If we have war with ET, it might be us declaring war on them to liberate the human slaves on their planets. Seems like a great science-fiction action movie. None of that Avatar goody-two-shoes stuff, it's straight up Colonial Marines vs the bugs.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Greetings,

Your Idea is quite intriguing........... Then why not............?? hmmm.......... I think there could be three
reasons......

1)Humans have/are something they want/need.........

2)Humans are being protected by someone or something........

3)when they had the chance to wipe us...... they thought we would wipe ourselves out.......... but
luckily we did not........ And hence we are still growing.......... now we have sort of space defense
with missiles and rockets to counter any asteroids........ as for some kind of death ray......... it will
be very difficult to destroy a planet with just a death ray/beam weapon.......... no matter how they
refract,reflect,condense light beam will always loose its focus and eventually becomes
useless and there are no reactive elements on Earth in so much concentration that ray may start
a chain reaction......... There is another way to destroy Human race........ Biological weapon......
but organism with 99.9% kill rate will not eliminate the whole race........ There are many factors to
They have to find an organism that effects each and every human being in the same way........ that
will be very difficult almost impossible....... See the thing is Human race is very diversified in its
genetic makeup.......... so much that multiple composition of same drug have to exist to cure the
same illness in the same lineage of people.....

There are reports that UFO's have been shot down......... as back as 60's........ we have better
weapons and better technology now...... The only outmatch our fighters and troops in speed and
technology of weapons......... speed is a factor that can be managed with our tech/science........ so
the only advantage they will have is of weapons' tech and defense platforms............ That advantage
will not be long lasting......... because their attack would force Human race to unite..... and once
Human race unite........ Their days are limited...........

PROUD TO BE HUMAN..............

Have Fun,
Primus

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

We have empathy towards other humans, primates and cute looking mammals. Very few of us have any empathy towards reptiles, fish or insects.

Its quite possible for aliens to be civilised to each other but have no regard for those alien to them.

If you met a giant talking spider would your reaction be to engage it in conversation or blow it full of holes. Most humans would do the latter.
edit on 9-3-2012 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
They should already be aware of us...

I believe the show took the direction of considering the idea of hostile aliens because scientific research does in-fact give stronger evidence toward that notion. The idea of evolution and survival of the fittest is perhaps universal and the psychology of an intelligent species may be based on the principles of self preservation just as ours.

Though its true that our capacity for empathy has grown exponentially, I think governments are slower to adopt the idea. Individuals are often motivated by empathy while governments are still very much motivated by self-preservation and obtaining wealth. Governments are reflections of our prehistoric selves.

First contact may very well be likely within the next 100 years as our ability to detect planetary systems grows. Being prepared for them to be hostile is smarter. But I too agree that the idea of an empathetic civilization is also likely and the show could have spent more time on that.

IF a civilization IS in our planetary neighborhood it is highly unlikely they will be within 100k or even 1M years of our technological capabilities. Consider that the life cycle of a planet is around 5B years and the habitable portion of that cycle is around 200M years in which intelligent life could develop evolve and exist... After that window has closed the planet would no longer be able to support life... and the window for both planets to begin this cycle is around 14.5B years and are unlikely to support life at the same time. The idea that a civilization is existing in our stellar neighborhood in the same life window as us is not likely. However if they do exist and ARE intelligent, then in order for them to exist they would have to be further along the window and more technologically advanced than us.

Considering that we may have the capabilities of detecting a planetary system that has intelligent life within the next 100 years than it is certain that if they are out there, they are absolutely aware of us already. So why have they not contacted us? I think Michio Kaku is right.... We are just not that interesting and probably not worth talking to.

~Neojournalist

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, I love this series.

I am also with a few of you, I think any race that cant travel across the universe would most likely have evolved past a violent state having an understanding far past our own. Thus we could be viewed as the hostile race. Who knows, we will find out one day, hopefully in this lifetime.

<< 1   >>

join