It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compound Crossbow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
thinking of adding it to the bug out cache along with the standard bow. any thought from any owners, hobbiest out there that can provide a quick IMO run down?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

I threw out the idea of bows recently...didn't fair to well...crossbows might do better!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-3-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

i have my guns too. but i would like the arrow option for hunting if need be. and it is way quiet.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Well there is an art to bow hunting....I was hoping to get some of the best secrets that ATS'er have to share...seems that bows are not too popular with the members though...so you might have to stick to your guns!

I would be happy to share some of the things I know about bows...but that is only my opinion on the art of bow hunting...so it would be better to have some others chime in!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

yeah it's an art. most people think " hay its a bow and arrow i can do it no problem " few can. its along the lines of making fire with sticks. look easy at home....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
im thinking SHTF. so im taking my family camping. do a little weapons safety, practice building fires telling direction without a compass. just a little of the basics. dont want to get in over our heads. then we can move on when every one is ready.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Crossbow !, the little pistol crossbows are awesome as well !
High power slug guns are good, easy to invent ammo as well.
Machete ! - essential, get one with a saw on the back blade.
Fishing rod, for fishing and makes an awesome snare setup for birds and small game !, check out braided line for this, excellent.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I only have limited experiance with both, but have found the following to be true.

Think of Crossbows as pistols and a Compound Bow as a rifle.

The Compound bow has a greater velocity at impact over the Crossbow whereas distance is concerned.

I'm much better with a Crossbow and do recommend them for short distance tagets. And I'm still working to gain the skils with a Compound.

I shot a arrow into the air, where it came down...

But boy, my neighbor seems to be peeved at the moment.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Based on personal experience, I'd say get yourself a good quality lightweight 150lb or 180lb full size crossbow. Go with Broadhead razor bolts for guaranteed kill (large jagged wound path with a LOT of tissue damage). Get a laser red dot sight and a decent scope. I personally prefer the full size bows to the pistol ones. If your really into lethal ammunition for the crossbow take a look on youtube. There are a lot of examples of even deadlier ammunition (home built).

Living in the UK I can't get firearms (without a ton of paperwork, police checks, reliable references who've know you for 3 years, licenses, secure storage, assorted visits from local licensing officer, etc and even then what you are allowed to have is very limited) so I've gone with a good quality lightweight 180lb bow, a few hundred homemade broadhead bolts, homemade red dot sight and an excellent scope.

new topics

top topics

join