It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

terahertz internet bandwidth with new laser induced crystal frequency comb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
first thing to note is this is the first step in increasing internet speeds upto THz,
second thing is this could be a "wireless" terahertz networkers wet dream come true,

The ability to modulate light with such a bandwidth could increase the amount of information carried by more than 1,000 times when compared to the volume carried with today's technologies," says Petek. "Needless to say, this has been a long-awaited discovery in the field."

To investigate the optical properties of a silicon crystal, Petek and his team investigated the change in reflectivity after excitation with an intense laser pulse. Following the excitation, the team observed that the amount of reflected light oscillates at 15.6 THz, the highest mechanical frequency of atoms within a silicon lattice. This oscillation caused additional change in the absorption and reflection of light, multiplying the fundamental oscillation frequency by up to seven times to generate the comb of frequencies extending beyond 100 THz. Petek and his team were able to observe the production of such a comb of frequencies from a crystalline solid for the first time.

phyorg

it would seem that the message of crystal lattice interface stimulation by laser is finally a reality although only in a lab,

the way it works is a laser is engaged onto the substructure of the crystalline lattice of a semiconductor silicon crystal, this laser pulse stimulates each atom to vibrate at a frequency that agrigates the atomic structure to resonate in coherence with the combined structure,
or
the laser causes the "atoms" to "shake" and the shaking of each "atom" causes a resonance in the structure called a lattice, (note very much simplified for audience)

as the structure "resonates" or vibrates at a very high rate, and allows for a very high frequency wave form,
frequency=number of oscillations per second of the lattice, and there fore the wave form produced from the semiconductor crystal also has a much higher frequency.

when a wave resonates very fast it is possible to "encode" information onto the "rising edge" and "falling edge" of the wave form, think of a water wave with a smaller wave being "carried" along with it,
depending on weather the "carried" wave is a dip (down) or a peak (up) on the overall wave depends on if the "carried" info is a 1 or a zero ie binary comunication.

because there is a factor more (to the power of ten) waves per second a factor more "ups" and "downs"
to "alter" to carry information, (think many more waves hitting a beach per second)
the total amount of info carried by the wave increases, as the number of waves per second increases
even though it travels the distance in the same overall time.

so in the future a movie could be streamed to you anywhere there is satellite connection available,
in about a tenth of a second,

or if wireless networks were close enough, then anywhere you find a hotspot lol

lol

please feel free to correct errors i have made,
and or imput more detail. as required

and you thought broadband was fast

xploder

edit on 7-3-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This stuff is way over my head, but correct me if I'm mistaken. Aren't Terahertz waves what's used in these airport body scanners? The same Terahertz waves that are suspected of being harmful to us?

If they are, then WTH are wireless Terahertz waves going to do to us all?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I doubt we'll see many wireless applications of this in the home market, as you would need LOS for it to function (remember the days of IR interconnects?)

However, this pretty much means that there's not much reason to invest in laying anything for telecom other than fiber optic cable. In ten years, metal conductors will simply not be able to compete with the bandwidth, noise rejection, and efficiency of fiber optic lines.

In another 15, you'll see data buses in personal computers replaced by optics. Photons can be encoded with information for quantum computing - something impossible in metal conductor buses. It may happen even sooner (but without the quantum computing application) - simply because of strains on the limitations of existing buses brought about by massively parallel architectures.

Edit: My error in understanding. The laser is stimulating radio-emission within a crystalline structure.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Aim64C because: stupidity

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I work in Telecoms, specifically optical Transmission systems.. Any telco worth it's salt should have stopped laying anything but fibre 15 years ago. If there are still some laying copper, they should be shot.

As for the laser and it's frequency, not sure this is really news but then I might be misunderstanding it. We have THz frequency optical systems already and they are old hat.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Just trying to comprehend the differences here. What new possibilities await such a net.

Small thinking. It becomes viable now for game companies and such to simply host their games online verses sell the product....effectively eliminating piracy possibilities. Sell a subscription to a development house and you can play any game they have to offer instantly with no install.

Also for future considerations, any possible virtual reality system would require this type of near instant transfer...so, the backbone of full VR is created. nice.

I simply can't comprehend the full potential of possibilities with such a speed up. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to join on this teranet bandwagon.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

What they are doing is stimulating radio emission in the terahertz range from a crystal with a laser. It's not really an optical system, if I am understanding correctly.

Which means they could get terahertz frequencies into wireless routers and the like - which are currently limited to the gigahertz range of frequencies.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
As for the laser and it's frequency, not sure this is really news but then I might be misunderstanding it. We have THz frequency optical systems already and they are old hat.

The ability to modulate light with such a bandwidth could increase the amount of information carried by more than 1,000 times when compared to the volume carried with today's technologies," says Petek. "Needless to say, this has been a long-awaited discovery in the field.

I don't have to understand the parts that make up the nuts and bolts to become excited about that simple sentence.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

the tera HZ waves used in body scanners are from mulitipul directions focused on a very small area,
a VERY bad idea for biological organisms,
in this "focusing" of waves the limitations of the wave are overcome in short distences,
terahz waves will penitrate small distences through most materials,
but when focused (in short distence ranges) at a point (human body) they will travel through everything EXCEPT flesh, (it still penetrates the body though hence the danger)
in scanners the waves are directed like a pair of tweezers at the body and the overlapping waves allow for a image to be produced in the difference in refracted values,

so its the collision of two or more sets of terahz waves that causes the cancer risk from scanners,

the simple way to understand is a scanner is a complex micro-wave oven used for short periods of time

the interesting thing is that terahz waves are in the microwave frequency,
by so is satalite tv,
so is some radio bands

unless you were in between the dish and the focus point or LMB you would be in no direct danger (acording to current thinking)

interesting that with the new glass fibre design (doped with other substrates) the frequencies could be used on optical networks as well,
but that would require an almost bottom up rebuild and replacement of the infrastructure,
from routers to modems,

and as pointed out by other members, it would only work with fibre "to your door"

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

i imagine in the future,
both quantum encoding of individual photons and terahz carrier waves could be sent simultaneously as the photons make up the wave form,

quantum could be used for secure transactions, as the information can be encrypted at the photon level, or information level,
and data transmitted on the terahz network

securenet

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Aim64C

I work in Telecoms, specifically optical Transmission systems.. Any telco worth it's salt should have stopped laying anything but fibre 15 years ago. If there are still some laying copper, they should be shot.

i think that the fact that a very simple robust and cost effective "encoder" at terahz ranges make this commercially viable and practical for "non telco" users,
and in situations where fibre was "to the door"

would allow home users to access these speeds without large expensive optical terahz units

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

i want to be careful to not divulge any propriety information or "extra" or novel uses of this "extra" ability to pass information,
ie
now would be a good time to copyright or patent any novel uses you can come up with BEFORE the network becomes commonly used,

but you idea of not "owning" software you use, like cloud services would be an example of a novel use,
(although cloud storage and software is already mostly covered

so put your thinking caps on and patent any novel uses you think of, and if this takes off you might be the next b gates

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

What they are doing is stimulating radio emission in the terahertz range from a crystal with a laser. It's not really an optical system, if I am understanding correctly.

Which means they could get terahertz frequencies into wireless routers and the like - which are currently limited to the gigahertz range of frequencies.

the semiconductor solid crystal is like an interface that "allows" terahz "encoding" into an optical medium such as glass fibre, the cumulative lattice resonance is at terahz frequencies and the frequency "combing" is the mechanism that allows this frequency to transverse the fibre at the tera hz rate,

note
the laser is simply to achive a coherence of lattice resonence that is many times higher in frequency than the solid semiconductor can achive without "stimulation"
in an anology the solid crystal semiconductor acts like it is "lasing" but instead of releasing an optical frequency "beam" the terahz range is produced, this "carrier" allows for much higher encoding rates over current fibre networks,

please feel free to correct my understanding if i am incorrect

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

i think that is accurate,
noting that with a "direct" fibre connection and changes to the back bone hardware that "switches" these signals,
a terahz network could be used over fibre,
if we get encoding at terahz frequencies and quantum encoding (encoded at the same terahz rate) of the quantum state of "each photon" then very high rates can be achived with encryption at very high levels.

xploder

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

we wont be waiting 15 years for optical terabit chip transfer rates,

Enlarge

Photomicrograph of IBM Holey Optochip. Original chip dimensions are 5.2 mm x 5 .8 mm.

(PhysOrg.com) -- IBM scientists today will report on a prototype optical chipset, dubbed “Holey Optochip”, that is the first parallel optical transceiver to transfer one trillion bits – one terabit – of information per second, the equivalent of downloading 500 high definition movies. The report will be presented at the Optical Fiber Communication Conference taking place in Los Angeles.

link ot physorg

with low cost terabit chips the terahz networks will not only become possable,
but the calculations and operations to control the flow of information will be able to match the encode/decode rates of the the transmition system

after all there is no use for terahz networks if you cant "bus" the information to the incoder/decoder at the same rate.

xploder

top topics

join