It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N3KL.org Sun Blast hitting satellites now!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

For the most part the particles are trapped by the magnetosphere long before they reach the atmsophere. The magnetosphere "guides" a lot of them to the magnetic poles where they are directed downward. Once they reach the lower regions of atmosphere they are pretty well taken care of. But at high altitudes they can be of concern so aircraft flying polar routes pay attention. So unless you're on your way to Japan or Europe, no problem.

The particles do have the potential of doing physical damage to satellite electronics but they are engineered to deal with this kind of thing (moderate storming). The astronauts, being in low Earth orbit are subject to less risk (the magnetosphere offering some protection) but you can bet that they are keeping an eye on the situation.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

NASA and the scientific community have known about this storm moving in since 2006

Not exactly.

The Sun follows a roughly 11 year cycle of activity. It has been known (since long before 2006) that the sun would be reaching a maximum of that cycle around 2012-2013. The current storm is just one of many which will occur as we approach, reach, and move past the maximum. Scientists have no way of predicting the occurrence or intensity of solar flares (or CMEs) beyond more that a few days in advance.

That prediction from 2006 was way off. It is turning out that that this cycle will actually have less activity (quantitatively) than average.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Very well described. So we know what to look out for-at what level index should we be worried about? X-10?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
So do any of you think these solar storms can make people sick?

My daughter and I are suffering from migranes today...had them last time we had a big flare also.

Amazing....my wife and I BOTH complained of headaches today and we RARELY get them, hell I take medicine prescribed for nerve pain due to lower back injury that I suffered years ago that is also prescribed off-label for relief of sufferers of migraines and I STILL had a killer headache all day!! I BELIEVE IT!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yup, that's the sun.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The X (or M, or B, or C) classification is for solar flares. Solar flares don't do much but affect communications. It is the CMEs which are often associated (but not always) with flares which are the problem. A potentially harmful CME may have no flare or a mild flare associated with it. CMEs have no classification except maybe; "meh" or "yikes".

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah I see. I thought a CME would be similar to a flare pertaining to effects. So the cme's are the bad guys. Thank you for elaborating Phage.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Hi all....just checking in...beautiful sunny day here, alot of wind shaking the house, still have bad headache.
Tried to see some lights last night, but nothing there, maybe tonight.....I have never seen an aurora, would love to.

I can't believe all the people with headaches right now (and yesterday). That is pretty scary that we can feel when the sun aches...

I am going to do some research, and I already posted a thread about headaches during geomagnetic storms, and there was numerous replies. I don't think this is a case of coincidence. Seeing that I get a headache when the sun is very active. so does my brother in law, wife, and many friends.

Headaches during geomagnetic storms

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
People, look at the ingredient list of things you buy. All Excedrin is, is acetominophen, aspirin and caffeine. You can buy them all generic (caffeine in the same aisle as headache meds) and make up your own mix for a lot cheaper. Watch the combo if you take it frequently though, it will eat a hole in your stomach lining. Or have a Tums or 2 with it.

And try Quercetin for allergy symptoms including food allergies and pollen. It's natural and works like a charm with no side effects whatsoever, unlike all that either sleepy or hyper stuff.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Well I have been getting migraines for over 10 years, and I can tell you that only certain medications work for certain individuals at certain times. I used to be able to get by with an Ibuprofin. That is until I met Motrin IB, which works a lot faster for me than Excedrin Migraine, plus the caffene is too much for me.

You always should eat with apirin, or Ibuprofin, and yes it will hurt your stomach in the long run.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I had a migrane all day to i just thought it was the weather never thought it was cause of solar activity,things that make you go hmmm,i just hope things dont get to bad cause of this happening.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Thank you for pointing out your thread :up

When you think about it...how could all that "energy" NOT reek havoc on our brains??

It's going to be a tough year!

I am dealing with a bad case of GERD now from all the meds...

Good luck, everyone!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by timetothink

I got a killer migraine too and nothing is helping, I also feel really drained and tried. About ready to go to bed. It's like very hard for me to read right now.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

For all of the people who call us crazy, nuts, etc..... Enlightenment is the key to 2012. If you are not ready, things like this will only be the beginning. Find your inner self, become one with yourself. Be kind to others and be willing to help others. I am not a hippie. I have 3 kids, a great wife and a decent computer job. Even "normal" people can open their minds to what lies beyond, it just takes a little effort.

EDIT: Truth be told I have not had a migraine or been sick since my awakening, which was over 2 years ago.
edit on 9-3-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2012 by WiindWalker because: added and

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
the sun it is a giver and taker of life if it shot a big enough flare we would be in a world of hurt and yet it gives us life WOW never really thought of it in such a profound way

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
I am scared about the activity from the sun, the 2006 NASA solar storm warnings, and the Mayan Calendar. What comes next?

Why are you scared of a calendar? That's like me saying, "I'm scared because it's february 29 tomorrow and there's be an increase in earthquakes lately".

The only difference is we actually know more about our own calendar than the mayan calendar - so it begs the question, why are we scared at all of something that was lost years ago?

Because the only "remaining evidence" of their knowledge was astronomy? They had plenty more evidence before it was all destroyed during the conquest. So carvings of the planets so happens to be all we've seen of them - doesn't mean they forecasted anything.

Jesus.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If a CME gets a yikes, what could we expect it to affect?
edit on 9/3/12 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

This happens to me all the time. Usually with an M5 and higher. I get migraines that wont stop. I also get vertigo

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
According to NASA it ain't over yet.
Geomagnetic Storm Strength Increases

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The sun is on its way of higher release of higher class Solar flares, could be this or the upcoming years. I can bet there could be one as strong as the one in the 19th century that damaged the telegraph.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Are you a kid/teen? Just wondering as you fit the description by what your saying/how your saying it...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join