It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lotto Winner Still Collecting Food Stamps:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Amanda Clayton, a 24-year-old from Lincoln Park, Michigan, is one of the few who does, and she is getting away with it. Clayton won $1 million from the Michigan State Lottery this fall, but she is still collecting and using $200 a month in food assistance from the taxpayers with her Michigan Bridge Card.

news.yahoo.com...

I wish I had more of a comment but Bob, ONCE AGAIN, takes ALL the words out of my mouth:

edit on 7-3-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
You can't buy lottery tickets with food stamps, the transaction wouldn't work. I don't know why he said that.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Heeere's Amanda!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
More of the same.

ATS related thread young entitled people w Judge Judy

I am young. Can't figure out how to make a living.

I deserve free stuff.

I vote for the party of free stuff for everybody.

Update, caught and CUTOFF
edit on 7-3-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
She owns 2 houses and won 1 million and thinks she is entitled to food stamps.

What more can anyone really say about her except utterly ridiculous she could pay off both houses have the cash to "eat".

There is your educational system of Ameica at work.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Now thats some lowlife move...if I had that money, I wouldnt be on public assistance and actually build something back but there's some people who are just too i dont have any nice word for it, selfish and more lol....

I'm on public assistance and went through hell just to get some help but yet someone like that are allow to keep theirs and I bet that woman got hers like its nothing....
I've seen a lot of older people get turned down at these places and there's others you see that seem like they have no problem whatsoever but maybe a drug problem and doesnt deserve something that I've (whoever pays or paid their taxes) paid into the system while I was working. Its upsetting to me not because I went through hell trying to get help but in NYC seeing a mother with her little child in the subway asking for money will break you but yet this government allow people like her get to away with things like that
edit on 7-3-2012 by MilzGatez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
She owns 2 houses and won 1 million and thinks she is entitled to food stamps.

What more can anyone really say about her except utterly ridiculous she could pay off both houses have the cash to "eat".

There is your educational system of Ameica at work.

"Educational system of Ameica"? Apparently you went through America's education system, too.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Don't worry - she's unemployed, owns 2 houses and a new car. She has no prospects and will blow all her winnings within 2 years, guaranteed.
Then it's back on public assistance anyway.
It's not like she could have used the money to get an education so she could find a good job or anything.

These people think that money is going to last forever.
I got news for them.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
by the looks of her, all her cash went to her pimp and crystal meth. so technically she qualifies for food stamps.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

hahaha.... I agree

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Because the system is based off of reported income.. not assets. Warren Buffet (minus name recognition) could easily obtain food stamps because his income isn't normally reported on a normal W2 like you or I.

This is something that opponents of dismantling welfare do not want to discuss.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm not defending her decision but,

Watching the video, it didn't seem like she was bragging, just stating a fact. If the Gov't keeps sending money, she'll spend it. I do agree that she should do the right thing though and have them cut it off. But there are many stories just like this.

Also the car is a used one and she did buy a modest house to probably get out of the neighborhood where she previously lived. So...she is frugal. Two houses for now, I'm sure the other one is up for sale, probably at a loss.

What isn't addresssed is how she'll spend the rest of her money. Will she use it to get a better education, hence better job opportunities, maybe invest some?

Or will she keep on what she has been doing all along and two years hence, be right back on the dole.

She may also have a lawsuit against the News channel since they showed everyone where she now lives, the make and model of her car and even didn't blur the cars tags.

She may be more devious than people are giving her credit.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
They pulled her assistance:

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Yeah i did 20 years ago the education people now receive a far cry from what i did.
edit on 8-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Phew, even at my worst I wouldn't get food stamps. Morally how could you live w/ yourself. If i had 500k, Id be buying property too. I'll play the optomist and hope she's investing to be fiscally independent.

On a side note, that guy Bob in the video, while correct, a total nutter. I thought he was going to blow an O-ring. People w/o composure and self control freak me out....

Food stamps/ welfare are totally screwy systems too. I had friends who would sell the credits they had, and on occasion when I was crazy broke I took them up on it....im not perfect. But at the time i was starving and slaveing to survive. I could give them 20$ cash and get 40$ of food with a EBT card. Thats the Golden State Advantage for you. I knew dozens of people who did that, along w/ dozens who just collected money and lazed around, sold drugs, got trashed all day...a welfare stated is a bad bad thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What ?
They have to push a bill to stop millionaires from getting food stamps?
How stupid is that in the first place ?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

hey, they are pressing charges!!!

www.cnn.com...

hope she has some of that million or whatever left, so she can pay the money back!!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
But did she actually break a law? Food stamps are supposed to be based on your income, I don't know if lottery winnings count as that. I always thought lottery money was an asset, but not income.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

in ny, even if your mom gives you 20 bucks, you are supposed to report it...now she can take that 20 go buy whatever you want, and you don't have to report that.....
so yes...I think she broke the law...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by satron

in ny, even if your mom gives you 20 bucks, you are supposed to report it...now she can take that 20 go buy whatever you want, and you don't have to report that.....
so yes...I think she broke the law...

I don't know...I agree that she no longer needs them, but according to guidelines, I don't see why she shouldn't get them.

Here's a similar story.

www.lotterypost.com...

Eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join