It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water tap reeks like Chlorine, Anyone else notice the smell?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Actually a lot of you have it wrong. Chlorine slows down the evaporation of water, and darkness has no effect on chlorine, meaning it will remain at it current level. Most municipal water supplies never have a chlorine reading greater than 1.5 ppm (parts per million), and usually it's far less. Your local YMCA swimming pool, or any public pool for that matter keeps its chlorine levels around 8 to 10 ppm.

Chlorine may not be the problem with your tap water. It could be other elements like nitrogen leeching Into your water supply and chlorine and nitrogen combine to form chlorimines which give off a funky odor.

You either need to get a filtration system capable of removing the chlorine, or leaving it in sunlight and then boiling it.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBossWorm

Oh Okay.

Yeah, but what about the toilet? Even that reeks of a Chlorine smell. I can't take that out and put it in the sunlight.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i didn't know you drink from the toilet.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Or you could just go by bottled water.That's what I do.I live in Florida,with well water that's treated with chlorine and salt.I refuse to drink it or give it to my dog..Where I'm at if left untreated the water smells like sulfer

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't know where your are from but I sometimes have that problem where I live. I sometimes noticed a foul smell in the water but didn't even think chlorine till you said it. Also where I live has one of the most fluoridated water counts in the us, and regular water filters don't remove fluoride.
I have a Britta though and it helps with the taste, although on a good day we have the best tasting water...

SM2

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
just one of those FYI kinda things, those Britta and PUR filters, both the pitchers and the ones that connect to your faucet, do NOT remove the actual chlorine or chlorimine, they only remove the odor, they also will not remove the fluoride , other pharmaceuticals or agriculture run off. They are just a carbon block filter, some of them may remove a small insignificant amount of these substances, but not much at all, they just do not filter down enough. They only efficient, economical, certain way of removing all of those things is a reverse osmosis system, and do youself a favor and stay away from all the units sold at the local home improvement warehouse stores, they are too expensive and the filter cartridges are too expensive and specialized. If you want to get a really good unit get something like this.....

www.bulkreefsupply.com...

just stay away from the DI (de ionization) systems, you should not drink di water.
edit on 8-3-2012 by SM2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

just a cautionary note on Reverse Osmosis systems

One of the side effects of filtering water with Reverse Osmosis is that it can make the water more acidic.

It is now the opinion of an increasing number of experts that people in the "developed world" have excess acid "acidosis" and that this is behind many health problems.

In the natural health and alternative medicine communities, acidosis is considered to be an underlying cause of many degenerative diseases.

(Interesting fact: Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize in 1931 for his research into the causes of cancer. He claimed it was caused by a lack of cellular oxygenation resulting from acidosis in the body.

In the Far East - where Reverse Osmosis filtration is very common - they use remineralisers on their RO units as standard.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I hate crazy people~

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
the chlorine is OK. it won't kill you. tastes like crap though. You smell it so strongly because instead of the chlorine being in a liquid or solid form it's put in the water in a gas form. so it in theory will kill all the amoebas and bacteria in the water pipes in transit o your house but then evaporate away once it's poured into a cup. in theory at least. to see how much chlorine they put in your tap water fill a two liter bottle up with tap water put on the cap and shake it good for a minute. then unscrew the cap and smell. the chlorine gas will be right at the top and will actually come out with some pressure like when the CO2 gets released from a soda bottle.

They put more in in the summer because the heat makes more algae and the bacteria thrive in it too. so more chlorine.

Boiling it is a great Idea btw and will get rid of the chlorine. anything that agitates the water will actually so an electric egg beater will do the same job. or a blender or whatever. Glad to see other people taking lovig care of their pets kudos.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
the chlorine is OK. it won't kill you. tastes like crap though. You smell it so strongly because instead of the chlorine being in a liquid or solid form it's put in the water in a gas form. so it in theory will kill all the amoebas and bacteria in the water pipes in transit o your house but then evaporate away once it's poured into a cup. in theory at least. to see how much chlorine they put in your tap water fill a two liter bottle up with tap water put on the cap and shake it good for a minute. then unscrew the cap and smell. the chlorine gas will be right at the top and will actually come out with some pressure like when the CO2 gets released from a soda bottle.

They put more in in the summer because the heat makes more algae and the bacteria thrive in it too. so more chlorine.

Boiling it is a great Idea btw and will get rid of the chlorine. anything that agitates the water will actually so an electric egg beater will do the same job. or a blender or whatever. Glad to see other people taking lovig care of their pets kudos.

The levels are more easily regulated in something like a swimming pool than in mains water, the chlorine overcontent is very noticeable by white water in a glass, and it happens too frequently here. As I said before, there can be problems especially when there are health factors to be taken into account. It's not so cut and dried, and BTW those experts who say Chlorine is totally safe for humans, also say the same about dogs.

An extract from an Australian cancer council,

"Summary
There is no evidence for the myth that drinking chlorinated water or swimming in chlorinated pools can cause cancer. However, chlorine and chlorine gas can aggravate respiratory conditions and high concentrations of chlorine can lead to many health complications."

The whole link,

www.cancerwa.asn.au...

Advise to study the references at the bottom.

This is Wisconsin's take on Chlorine,

www.dhs.wisconsin.gov...

California only recently permitted the uncontrolled use of plastic water pipes, or rather CPVC, (Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride) You have to wonder what the long-term use and degredation of these pipes might result in, just another factor along with many unknowns of what is actually in your local water, apart from Chlorine and Fluoride. Chlorine then, is a highly effective, but crude way of killing the critters in your water that will harm you, whether Chlorine itself in the way it is delivered will harm you or not, is not proven conclusively, but it will affect at least some people.

edit on 9-3-2012 by smurfy because: Links.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

You don't need a RO filter but it's something to think about. The filtering system I have works very well and it's not RO.

Most people when they think of water filters, think of Brita, Pur, etc. I agree that those filters are only so effective and that people should invest more if they want water that's truly clean.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

manhater,
I don't know if this has already been said, but taking a steamy shower with highly chlorinated water may create some health issues for certain people.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My small rural community cleans it's water system a couple time a year. Smelled bad, water looked bad. My MIL, who lives across the gravel road both got the bad water runs. We both switched to bottle water. The big ones that they deliver. You can still see and smell when the pipes. I had a triple filter system to the sink and water plus a getra filter to the ice maker. We never got the don't drink the water problems.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yes like others have said here, we live right on lake Huron and when there is a north wind they lay on the chemicals till it makes you nauseous just running the tap.

We put in a 5 stage RO system about a year ago and we will never look back.
Lip smacking delicious water without the stink and heavy metals and mercury and etc etc etc.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 11-3-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Maybe that's why everyone is getting the flu.

the flu is a virus; chlorine would kill it, not cause it

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by youwontfindme

Originally posted by Manhater

Maybe that's why everyone is getting the flu.

the flu is a virus; chlorine would kill it, not cause it

If Chlorine kills the flu then I would never have gotten it in my first 40 years of life because we always have had it in our water.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I'll try out this trick later today after class with filling the water in a soda bottle and shaking it up. Sounds fun.

Going to start buying the gallon jug waters.

Thanks for the tip.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join