It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water tap reeks like Chlorine, Anyone else notice the smell?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I just started boiling my water for my dog today, cause man, it reeks of Chlorine. Not going to have him drink that. And I dumped out all the juice too that I made. Hey, I don't mind Chlorine bleaching my hair and all because it saves on money, but I don't want to drink it and have my dog drink it.

Anyone know why it's so strong of a smell?

Maybe that's why everyone is getting the flu.

They putting something in our water.
edit on 7-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Chlorine and chlorine-type chemicals have been used to purify water almost every place I've ever lived. The only place this wasn't true was when I lived in a place where we got our water out of the Colorado River, straight from the Rockies.

Otherwise, it's chlorine.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Depending on where you live, could they be adding more to offset water supply problems from the storms? That covered 6 states. Are you in there somewhere? It could be that for timing, anyway. Just a precautionary thing? I'd prefer they stuff it with their Chlorine all together, but that could be why.....?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I don't know if you can boil it out (maybe someone else knows) but you can let is evaporate away by letting water stand in an open container for 12-24 hours.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
My dad use to work for our cities water. (I'm not sure how to say that without saying exactly where he worked)
He said that they would put extra chlorine in it when there were issues with the quality. You could really smell it a few times when we were having major forest fires and the soot and everything got into the water. He to this day has a massive filtration system on the tap water in his house. He will not drink our cities water and it's suppose to be one of the best in the nation. And he's not the paranoid type!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
So it's safe to drink Chlorinated water? I can't stand the smell of it. Makes me want to get sick.

Yeah, didn't get that much from the storm but we were in the zone of the storm.

Never knew they used Chlorine to adjust the water levels. That's like totally weird.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
So it's safe to drink Chlorinated water? I can't stand the smell of it. Makes me want to get sick.

Yeah, didn't get that much from the storm but we were in the zone of the storm.

Never knew they used Chlorine to adjust the water levels. That's like totally weird.

Most cities..if not all..put some degree of chlorine in the water to kill the little beasties that live in the lakes and rivers they get the water from but.......

They swear it's safe and we have nothing to worry about.

I look at the big brightly colored warning signs plastered all over the outside of the storage/pump area of a major pool area. There is chlorine in there..and the red lights and sirens are for chlorine leaks.

I make up my own mind....and *heavily* filter my water.
It's something most people drink in their coffee, if nothing else, every day though.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well, I'm going to do what one poster said, put the water out overnight, then boil it, then drink it and make some juice up again.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I notice this with our water here sometimes. Your house will stink like a swimming pool for awhile. I don't know why everyone don't get a filtration system. think of the filth between the water supply and you're house not mention your own pipes. Ewww.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
A short term solution might be a Britta pitcher/filter combination. Walgreens has them and the filters are cheap. I use one to process the water before putting it into a container in the fridge. The water goes from somewhat tolerable to downright good. Which means tasteless. Like it's supposed to be.

Isn't it bad when tasteless water is a weird thing to have?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Chlorine is added to the water supply to kill all the bacteria and other nasty stuff the filtration didnt get. Chlorine is only toxic when inhaled and theres no health risk when its added to the water.
As someone else already said just boil the water and let it stand for a few hrs that will give iit enough time for the chlorine to evaporate from the water
edit on 7-3-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
This could be unrelated but only yesterday I recall smelling chlorine .
somewhere I shouldnt...the parking lot to be sure

Weird.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
Chlorine is only toxic when inhaled and theres no health risk when its added to the water.

So it's dangerous to inhale, but perfectly safe to drink?

I'll pass, thankyou...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
What you are smelling is not chlorine in and of itself but rather chloramine. There is no harm either way. So no worries.
The more the waters pH is off the stronger the smell. Like how hot tub jaccuzi always have a strong chloramine odor, it is hard to balance the pH because of the high temperature.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Yah they add extra whenever needed like storm surge or ... outbreak of whatever.

How reassuring, eh? Lots going on the eastern seaboard / midatlantic area these days.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Buy yourself a proper filter (not one of those crappy Brita or Pur filters) that can remove chlorine and other metals/nasty stuff.

The one I have is a 6-stage countertop filter that removes fluoride (yes it does!), chlorine, rust and other contaminants.

I noticed a HUGE difference in taste after filtering my water. I throw in a bit of iodized salt whenever I cook pasta as well. The food that's boiled in the water tastes better too.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I guess you do not drink our tap water then Paul

Its chlorinated and during the drought a few years back I could always smell it on my skin after a shower,
Adelaide tap water is not the best tasting in the world.

edit on 8-3-2012 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
when chlorine evaporates, what's left behind turns to salt.

It's pretty much safe. If you dont want the smell, let it set for a while. Also, take two milk jugs (clean) and pour the water back and forth a few times, it will make the smell go away. (old remedy)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Chlorine and fluoride are just two things that are present in water. I don't think Chlorine is perfectly safe in it's own right, and often the water here is white and scummy with the stuff, as there seems to be a dumping ethos carried out here instead of a measured flow. People with intestinal disabilities like colitis and diverticulitis and ulcers could have it aggravated by too much of the stuff, there is some evidence of Chlorine actually causing some types of ulcers. Both Chlorine and Fluoride are being investigated for more serious problems, and so are the (now plastic) pipes that carry the water. If you think there is a problem with your water, it would be best to get a sample analysed for everything possible that could be present.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Oh wow, I will keep that in mind.Thank you everyone. I'll try to get a filtration system this week.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join