It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

March 7, 2012 - Massive Solar Flare And SEP Chaos Around The Sun!!! WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
Wow that is wild.

I wonder if any of this is being caused by that super hot cloud that our solar system is apparently running into.

Or other HIGHLY charged celestial objects in the Solar system vicinity.. So many scientific observations going on for those who need to SEE visuals to move with the HERD properly..

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Wow, that X-Flare looked like an X-55. If that had been aimed at the earth....

...Your other video Kill Shot....something along that line.

Now you know why the governments of the world are building those deep underground bunkers and creating those vaults to house plants and animals in.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
So, in a nutshell, the sun is farting at us?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Now it has been downgraded.

SOLAR_STORM

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Sigh... Yet another such thread. Do people on this site have the same memory span of a gold fish?? This is the weakest cycle in our LIFETIME yet everyone here now screams everytime there is a flare, even though we are in/near a solar maximum right now where such activity happens ALL THE TIME.
The chances of blackouts or worse is SLIMMER than last cycle, yet i heard no one scream doomsday over every flare back then.

This is all NORMAL behavior from the sun.
edit on 8-3-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Just a note, some of us have not heard of this before. This is the first time I have heard of an X class flare personally. I still don't fully understand what that means, it sounds bad and if it had been a direct hit would be terrible (from what I hear).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
reply to post by juleol

Just a note, some of us have not heard of this before. This is the first time I have heard of an X class flare personally. I still don't fully understand what that means, it sounds bad and if it had been a direct hit would be terrible (from what I hear).

Really? First time you've heard of this?

Do you have a tv that works? You are on the Internet and ATS, have not you seen the countless threads about it over the past several days?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Juleol,

Actually we are in what the solar cycle prediction panel claim as cycle 24. They state that the solar maximum isn't expected to occur until May 2013 and our NEXT solar cycle is going to be with minimal activity. Anyone who is using the terms weakest vs. strongest in terms of solar maximums and minimums trying to correlate it to a flare is lost. The solar cycles refer to the number of sunspots occurring on the sun and not the type or frequency of flares being ejected.

What most people refer to as far as it being one of the less active cycles is the smoothed values which is a relatively low estimate. Take a look at the prediction graph below which shows a low value of approximately 80-90 and a high value or almost 150.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

The predictions you linked are from 2007, before the last solar minimum was reached.They have been since revised downward quite a bit.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

You are correct about what the prediction represents. It is a prediction of sunspot numbers. Solar science has no way of predicting the intensity of solar activity beyond a few days in advance.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Another HD solar flare video I just found. The second youtube video is very cool

Video: X-class Solar Flares and Solar Tsunami

Source: NASA HQ
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2012
www.spaceref.com...

On March 7, 2012 just a few minutes after midnight UT time the active region (AR11429) unleashed two strong X-class flare.

The first, X5.4-class, showed a very bright flare, the second right after, X1-class, hurled a second coronal mass ejection into Space. Also seen can be a wave going across the Sun at approx. 1,000,000 mph - also known as a Solar Tsunami.

There are also various views of this events over a couple of hours, including some close-up views of the Sunspot 1429.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-3-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added quote

That's one huge sunspot. A little worrying when it starts pointing our way.

edit on 8-3-2012 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Yes, I threw out the tv years ago. I do go to ats, and with the exception of the recent threads, I hadn't heard of large ones like this.

Now doing the research, I understand we go through several a year and their are other things going on, but I just wanted to let you know that some people are new here and may not have heard of this type of thing.

Also not everyone comes here everyday.
edit on 8-3-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Sigh... Yet another such thread. Do people on this site have the same memory span of a gold fish?? This is the weakest cycle in our LIFETIME yet everyone here now screams everytime there is a flare, even though we are in/near a solar maximum right now where such activity happens ALL THE TIME.
The chances of blackouts or worse is SLIMMER than last cycle, yet i heard no one scream doomsday over every flare back then.

This is all NORMAL behavior from the sun.
edit on 8-3-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

I wouldn't be surprised if it is used as a scapegoat in the near future...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey Phage,

thanks, I should have clarified that graph is just an example of their prediction patterns and that you can see the high and low values vs. smoothed values and how it correlates to sunspots. The first link does show that in 2009 they were predicting the solar maximum to be in May of 2013 however I did have trouble finding a more recent link.

My post was more to clarify that the value of solar minimum vs. maximum as # of sunspots and not the overall power of a flare which seems to get mixed up quite often.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
trying to predict what the sun will do is like trying to predict next weeks lotto numbers ..

lots of scare mongering on the USA TV channels so funny..

was hoping to see some Aurora lights in the north of England but to cloudy

we have been hit by much bigger in the past and have been expecting a few big ones due to the 12 year cycle

can't believe it even made the news tbh ..

hell not alot we could do about it if the sun decided to hit is with a super flare anyhow..

more worried about my alarm clock not going off and sleeping in for work than getting fried off the sun

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

I thought we are totally shielded from this "cloud" due to the magnetic field generated by the sun.

science.nasa.gov...

We only know about it because voyager has gone far enough to start to see the breakdown of the field. Thank the sun again, that magnetic field is saving us from being innodated with cosmic ray particles from all kinds of # that would have raised the background radiation levels above what life (as we know it) could bare.

I dont see how this could effect us or the sun in any way.
edit on 9-3-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

I thought we are totally shielded from this "cloud" due to the magnetic field generated by the sun.

science.nasa.gov...

We only know about it because voyager has gone far enough to start to see the breakdown of the field. Thank the sun again, that magnetic field is saving us from being innodated with cosmic ray particles from all kinds of # that would have raised the background radiation levels above what life (as we know it) could bare.

I see it...

We are a lot less protected and so is the Sun. www.nasa.gov...

I think it is a combination of things... but we are vulnerable in my opinion.

Here is another link... if you want more I have them. science.nasa.gov...
edit on 9-3-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Originally posted by underduck

science.nasa.gov...

I see it...

We are a lot less protected and so is the Sun. www.nasa.gov...

I think it is a combination of things... but we are vulnerable in my opinion.

Here is another link... if you want more I have them. science.nasa.gov...

Could I see what else you have in regards to the heliospehere and its protection (or lack there of)?

The scales they are talking about here are still solar system scales. I'll worry when the distances become less then One billion miles, which is still far enough away that we'd need a supernova burst size radiation to impinge the earths field.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Could I see what else you have in regards to the heliospehere and its protection (or lack there of)? The scales they are talking about here are still solar system scales. I'll worry when the distances become less then One billion miles, which is still far enough away that we'd need a supernova burst size radiation to impinge the earths field.
reply to post by underduck

Sure... I have been studying it as best as I can and as time will allow. Here is a few more..

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Heliosphere Changes Fast For starters, it's been assumed that the heliosphere's expansion and contraction follows the sun's roughly 11-year activity cycle, during which the flow rate of charged particles, or solar wind, fluctuates. But when scientists compared IBEX maps of the heliosphere taken just six months apart, the researchers found that it had shrunk to a much greater extent than expected. (See "Sun's Power Hits New Low, May Endanger Earth?") This quick shrinkage could be a concern for astronauts, said McComas, of the Southwest research Institute in San Antonio, Texas. That's because, as the heliosphere shrinks, it lets in more cosmic radiation, which can compromise the body's immune system. (Related: "Solar System Is 'Bullet Shaped.'") Among IBEX's other new surprises: a long, mysterious ribbon of uncharged particles found last year that has apparently lost its brightest, most energetic region since its 2009 discovery. "What we're seeing is the knot pull apart as it spreads across a region of the ribbon," McComas said in a press statement. "To this day the science team can't agree on exactly what causes the knot or the ribbon, but by comparing different sky maps, we find the surprising result that the region is changing over relatively short time periods. Now we have to figure out why."

science.nasa.gov...

www.projectworldawareness.com...

news.discovery.com...

www.popsci.com...

www.etheric.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

science.nasa.gov...

www.nasa.gov...

Now.. some of these links may not seem connected...but for someone just beginning like myself it is/was needed. I am not sure where you are in regards to the Solar System and the connection the Sun and Earth have. In my opinion if the Sun is acting "weird" and or unusual then we down here on Earth should pay attention. Its all electrically intertwined to say the least. My opinion...of course.

Here is a metaphysical lecture with many more links. I have watched it a few times and find it interesting...not saying everything in the lecture is fact but ... it doesn't hurt to learn a few things regardless.

Skip through the corny music and get to the juice..

ETA: A few more links.

This is what I am reading now...
books.google.com... o9Y98DT8H9GNBNIVqgsM0I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5GFXT-CBPMrAtgeF66CUDw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=interstellar%20medium%20and%20extinction%20event%20on%20earth& f=false

www.dailygalaxy.com...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

www.thecityedition.com...

edit on 9-3-2012 by MamaJ because: added more links..

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

I'm not sure if it would or wouldn't have an effect on the sun, to be totally honest. But, I remember hearing or reading reports that this cloud could have an effect on the sun, but not sure when or where, so I guess I really can't argue one way or the other pro or con.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join