It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

March 8th X-Flare Exposes Earth & Us to Extra YEAR's Worth of Solar RADIATION in just a DAY??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

a little birdy told me this but couldnt cite a source other than upstairs intel

could this be true? if so, wow, we are really being bombarded with lotsa extra radiation these days from most everywheres!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
He is reading directly from the yahoo article. news.yahoo.com...

Dont panic. Probably wont be a big deal. This is a large solar storm but not a "hold on to your butts" storm. Just relax and it will be fine. Just stay out of airplanes tomorrow and look into the sky for cool lights.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, all the reports from the Official people are saying this one brings all three forms of problem energy. That includes a bump in radiation. So..... I'd say anyone spreading out a blanket on a beach tomorrow is someone I might watch from safely under an umbrella. I've never seen a person sunburn in record time before.

Beyond that... Well... The sun isn't killing us anyway and a year doesn't sound that bad if we aren't sun bathing. I don't see much sunlight that isn't coming through heavily filtered glass anyway...even there...it's limited. As long as nothing causes power outages..including nervous human error..then I'm not concerned. Lets just not add larger ones.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

One good thing is that we are expecting tons of rain here in the midwest tomorrow so hopefully it will get washed away? Man that is washed into the water table so we drink it? Arg, we are so skewered. I have a terrible wind burned face from being out for an hour yesterday...Maybe tomorrow will be another day of devastation due to this.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
hmmm, yea but

Light & UVA/UVB radiation is but a small Fq of Sol's EM waves, though right?

radio - lowest

gamma - highest?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
He is reading directly from the yahoo article. news.yahoo.com...

Dont panic. Probably wont be a big deal. This is a large solar storm but not a "hold on to your butts" storm. Just relax and it will be fine. Just stay out of airplanes tomorrow and look into the sky for cool lights.

Where does it refer to the year's worth?

I googled and came up with some that do more or less confirm that solar flare cause a year worth of damage in as little as a FEW HOURS!

www.satellite-internet-forum.com...

"A super storm would cause years’ worth of damage within a few hours. Solar particles and radiation puff up the atmosphere, increasing the drag forces..."

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

This is only the largest storm in 5 years. It will be ok.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Not so good, we have a bunch of students on a grad trip in the Dominican atm....solar stuff and now 2 eq's...I need a good "the kids will be fine" talk right now...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

The sun erupted with one of the largest solar flares of this solar cycle on March 6, 2012 at 7PM EST. This flare was categorized as an X5.4, making it the second largest flare -- after an X6.9 on August 9, 2011 -- since the sun’s activity segued into a period of relatively low activity called solar minimum in early 2007. The current increase in the number of X-class flares is part of the sun’s normal 11-year solar cycle, during which activity on the sun ramps up to solar maximum, which is expected to peak in late 2013.

What happened on August 9th 2011? Did the lights go out?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Interesting fact, the August 9th 2011 storm created only a S1 radiation storm, but this storm is looking to shape into a S4 or S5....why?

Aug/2011 was a bigger blast so why a bigger storm with this one?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
What happened on August 9th 2011? Did the lights go out?

From what I understand the CME related to that one wasn't earth directed? I think this one is a full frontal hit. But I'm no expert.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa

Not so good, we have a bunch of students on a grad trip in the Dominican atm....solar stuff and now 2 eq's...I need a good "the kids will be fine" talk right now...

Well, yeah. I guess most of us that say there is nothing to worry about are saying this from our homes and not in the vulnerable position of being on vacation or in transit between places. If I were travelling or vacationing, I'd just avoid the beach with full skin showing.

1859 is the one all others are matched against and set by and it pretty well blew the charts for what we have to look at and measure today. No one dropped dead or even reported serious upticks in illness in the following months. Unless of course, one considers the Civil War that came a few years later. lol.... This is only an X-5...even if the aim and timing is a little unfortunate. We've had larger and not that far in the past. Here is a link which may help.

History of Solar Storms by event from 1859 to Oct, 2003 w/ links to info for each storm

I hear ya about being worried for kids off somewhere else..but these really do only amount to light shows and little to nothing more. I can't lie and say I wouldn't be downright worried...DEEPLY, profoundly worried...if we had X-10 or above and anything above 20...I'm relocating for a few days. This isn't anything to worry about though. Not in the sense you need to lose sleep over your children.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
hay hook me up with the guy that built a turbine windmill today. that is " if " the grid goes out.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Thank you for your response. You are right though, when your kids are not right beside you, you can't help but worry.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Me and my ketteh frenz iz gonna hide in the tinfoyl tent wif momz!
Can we haz sardinez?
Yay!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

The kids will be fine!
Today I will be outside Planting seeds for my garden until i am rained out...
Im not concerned and im as paranoid as they come...

The kids will be fine!!!

Hey u asked for it

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Now its been downgraded.

SOLAR_STORM
edit on 8-3-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join