It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whirlwind on Mars or?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Just a quick look at this
www.abc.net.au...

A whirlwind, more than 800 metres high and about 30 metres in diameter, rises from the surface of Mars. The image was captured on the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter in February, the time of Martian year when that planet is farthest from the sun.

or smoke from a fire? Nice picture from the Red planet, I find it strange that a red planet apparently rocky and dusty looking produces white wind .Maybe something to do with atmosphere.?? Any explanation would be welcome
edit on 7-3-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Mars' atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide with other trace gases,compared to ours which is mostly oxygen.
combine that with mars fine dust and color adjusted,and you get what you see

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Volcanic vent is my best guess. Recent marsquakes have been reported.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I find it strange that a red planet apparently rocky and dusty looking produces white wind .Maybe something to do with atmosphere.??

The wind isn't white.
A whirlwind, also known as a dust devil, is a column of rising air which lifts dust. They also occur on Earth very commonly, though the ones on Mars often get much larger.
www.uahirise.org...

This dust devil isn't really white though. It is a false color image, enhanced to accentuate the dust devil.

edit on 3/7/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

Why are they calling it a whirlwind and not a vent?
www.esa.int...
www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Because it is a whirlwind, and not a vent.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks for explaining it ,i thought it might have something to do with the silica deposits in some areas

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Alright then, explain its shadow!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

What's to explain?
A dust devil shouldn't cast a shadow?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It was a just joke

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Never know.
On ATS, you never know.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The simple explanation ties it all up with a pretty bow does it not...

However I have a feeling we are seeing the remanants from a fire of somesort.Although the temp on Mars is bearable to its inhabitants,I believe other travellers may find it an oevre too cold.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

except it isn't. it's a whirlwind. end of. feelings aren't facts.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

End of??

Who died and made you a Mars expert....On second thoughts I do not wish to know,I rarely converse with people frm Wisconsin or whatever the red neck town is called/spelt.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This thread went all pear shaped pretty quick,State rivalry , jokes,confusion,experts and wanna be experts.
Its all good,

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

gas leaking....the gas and the shadow don't match up meaning the source is from the ground.

just saying.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
having took all into account I can say without doubt that this is a rogue giant space sperm.
Easily identified from whirlwinds by the lack of whirling and swirling.
Either a rogue giant space sperm or insects emanating from their cave.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

That is due to the angle you are seeing the dust devil, and the angle at which the sun is creating this shadow. The sun is lower to the horizon than our viewpoint, making the shadow elongated. Its the same deal as on earth when your shadow gets longer as the sun sets. It elongates the shadow and you get exaggerated proportions. and this is easy to prove. Our point of view is almost directly over the dust devil. the sun is obviously setting or rising(but more likely setting as dust devils are the result of heat) to the left of this picture and is "below" our point of view, thus giving the shadow an exaggerated/elongated shape...
edit on 3/8/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
This thread went all pear shaped pretty quick,State rivalry , jokes,confusion,experts and wanna be experts.
Its all good,

Think it has been put to bed to be honest. Very interesting spot though, thanks.

Prefer my explanation though, it is definitely a Martian Caspar (the friendly ghost).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by paperface

However I have a feeling we are seeing the remanants from a fire of somesort.Although the temp on Mars is bearable to its inhabitants,I believe other travellers may find it an oevre too cold.

There's not enough O2 on Mars to have a fire.

If we were to have a hab fire on Mars all the Martian fire department would need to do is open the door. No water needed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join