It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to launch 5 rockets quickly to track winds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Skywatchers along the East Coast may be able to see a NASA experiment that will launch a series of rockets to learn more about the little-understood jet stream winds that circle the Earth at the edge of space. On a clear night between March 14 and April 4, NASA plans to launch five rockets in five minutes from its Wallops Island facility in coastal Virginia.

Each rocket will release a chemical leaving a long, milky-white cloud to track the winds that scientists will monitor from cameras in North Carolina, Virginia and New Jersey. The clouds should be visible to the human eye for about 20 minutes from roughly Myrtle Beach, S.C. to southern New Hampshire, and as far west as Morgantown, W.Va. The possible viewing area covers major cities like Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston, although it depends on ground lighting, cloud cover and the rockets' trajectories.

Those in a smaller area from New York City to the Outer Banks in North Carolina might be able to see the rockets' glowing exhaust trails. The rockets will crash into the Atlantic Ocean, where they will become artificial reefs. The winds in the thermosphere about 65 miles above the surface can reach speeds up to 300 miles per hour.

That altitude is also part of the ionosphere, where there are strong electrical currents from solar radiation. Scientists also hope the experiment will help explain how atmospheric disturbances in one part of the globe can be transported to other parts of the globe in a day or two. They aren't the same jet stream currents that circle closer to earth, affecting weather patterns and air travel.

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on Sun Mar 11 2012 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
i hope they dont use any thing harmful but that would be awesome to see

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The clouds should be visible to the human eye for about 20 minutes from roughly Myrtle Beach, S.C. to southern New Hampshire

Whatever man, bring on the milky white chemicals, dump them on me in NH, that's fine. I'm sure that's the best way to study wind. Don't worry about ocean life that might be affected by crashing rockets with said milky white chemicals into the Atlantic.

Who's going to be first to tell us that the rockets will be leaking out vitamin goodness & love sprinkles on some of us?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I remember the good old days when they used balloons. Hell they could just use smoke, why do they have to use "milky white chemicals" and a one time use missile. Why not put some high tech balloons and conduct continuous tests using smoke? Seems much more cost efficient with less unintended consequences.

I cant be the only one that sees we SUCK at doing things efficiently, or even safely for that matter. This stinks to me for some reason

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

I remember the good old days when they used balloons.

Balloons won't go 65 miles up.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
here is the NASA link

www.nasa.gov...

im looking into what chemical they are going to use.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hope its not a cover for lunching 5 nukes that is really targeting Asteroid 2012 DA14..
Arival in February 2013

www.conspiracyhq.com...

NASA Confirms Asteroid 2012 DA14 Could Hit Earth Next February.

Asteroid 2012 DA 14′s closest approach to Earthwill be February 15, 2013, when it will be about 16,700 miles (27,000 km) from our planet if its orbit does not change. NASA scientists are concerned enough to suggest the asteroid either be blasted with big guns – or painted to change how sunlight reflects off its surface in order to alter the asteroid’s temperature, spin and orbital path.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
they are looking at the upper atmosphere jet-stream. not the weather pattern jet stream.

lol might provide info to the HAARP'ers

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

Trimethyl aluminum (TMA). A flammable substance which ignites on contact with air, forming aluminum oxide, carbon dioxide and water vapor.
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

No.
NASA confirms no such thing.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Hope its not a cover for lunching 5 nukes that is really targeting Asteroid 2012 DA14..
Arival in February 2013

www.conspiracyhq.com...

Asteroid 2012 DA 14′s closest approach to Earthwill be February 15, 2013, when it will be about 16,700 miles (27,000 km) from our planet if its orbit does not change. NASA scientists are concerned enough to suggest the asteroid either be blasted with big guns – or painted to change how sunlight reflects off its surface in order to alter the asteroid’s temperature, spin and orbital path.

I know what I'm NOT afraid of... Elenin Jr., that's what. Nor chemtrails but the OP just kinda makes you go 'hmm.'
edit on 7-3-2012 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Aluminum oxide? Hmmm..
A quick search turned up this study. But this is on nano particles

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 7-3-2012 by avwood because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link
edit on Sun Mar 11 2012 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

How high did the Japanese ww2 ones go?
Just thought ide ask.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If that's what they're using then that doesn't seem so bad when it comes to crashing into the Atlantic. I was imagining larger heavy rockets.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ok here is a candidate program to cancell rather than add to our nations debt or cancel a return to the moon. At this point we don't really need this data. Wonder how many millions it will cost to blow smoke.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Ok here is a candidate program to cancell rather than add to our nations debt or cancel a return to the moon. At this point we don't really need this data. Wonder how many millions it will cost to blow smoke.

I suppose when science exploration first included things that helped people create weather warning systems, but less known at the time, the people may have thought it a waste of money. But with the warning systems that were developed, billions of dollars has been saved because of preparedness.

Your credentials to say this study is not worth funding?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by edged1

Just thought ide ask.

Why no answer?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Still waiting for reply

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I bow or forgivness PHAGE,u as allways are right.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by edged1

Acording to the article I just found, not much higher than 38,000 feet.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join