It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges of Racism for Chanting USA…In America!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch
reply to post by SGTSECRET

some people are just stupid.

They certainly are

Are you serious?

If you are then I will help you out. The chants intent is to imply that the hispanic americans are not american. It is inappropriate,offensive and racist.

USA is not a race...so in your own words 'are you serious?' You can say it was 'implying' whatever you like. The Hispanic Americans supposedly ARE American so there's nothing wrong here, if they, or anyone else is offended by the chant of their own Nation than maybe they should live somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
although america broke from the brittish empire , it seems as though you have picked up some of our worst traits , politcal correctness gone wrong

They are not hispanic americans , they are americans. if they were born there , and live there , they are americans.
America was founded on immigration , so why get all upset about it

bunch of idiots !

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

If you do not put "hispanic/asian/african/whatever" in front of American many people get upset, that is why. However I agree with you, it should just be American.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET

They certainly are

Are you serious?

If you are then I will help you out. The chants intent is to imply that the hispanic americans are not american. It is inappropriate,offensive and racist.

USA is not a race...so in your own words 'are you serious?' You can say it was 'implying' whatever you like. The Hispanic Americans supposedly ARE American so there's nothing wrong here, if they, or anyone else is offended by the chant of their own Nation than maybe they should live somewhere else.

I can tell by the "they should be somewhere else" that you have a problem with non-white Americans. American is not a race. Are you saying that they were cheering for both teams? What were some other chants? "lets go humans lets go!"

I live in Australia. If in Sydney a football team from Bankstowns full of Lebanese Australian kids played a game in Cronulla against a team full of Anglo/white Australians and Cronulla crowd put up a chant of Aussie Aussie Aussie,what do you think the intent would be genius? Ummm....to imply that the Lebenese Australians are not Australian maybe? It would be an outrageous insult and it would likely start a riot.

edit on 8-3-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The last time I checked nationality is not race. Is singing the National Anthem racist as well. How completely asinine.
edit on 3/8/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
Not really. We have a large amount of illegals in this area that are cared for care of the US government better then it's own citizens.

PS remember the Alamo, there is a bit of history there.
edit on 7-3-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

That doesn't justify racism.

And what does a battle that happened almost 200 years ago have to do with this situation? Because it involved Mexicans? The Texan revolution was not simply a fight between the Anglo-American settlers and Mexican troops; it was a revolution of the people who were living in Texas against what many of them regarded as tyrannical rule from a distant source (Santa Anna). Many of the leaders in the revolution and many of the armed settlers who took part were Mexicans.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I do not know the area at all, sounds to me like there is a huge illegal immigration problem that no one is addressing. Though those kids may have been born here, most likely the parents are illegal(just my guess). Our government created the problem by not enforcing our immigration laws and now everyone claims racism for people chanting USA?
On the other hand,does the other school chant Mexico or wave a Mexican flag? That isn't reported. Might be some previous issues from past times.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

They certainly are

Are you serious?

I can tell by the "they should be somewhere else" that you have a problem with non-white Americans. American is not a race. Are you saying that they were cheering for both teams? What were some other chants? "lets go humans lets go!"

I live in Australia. If in Sydney a football team from Bankstowns full of Lebanese Australian kids played a game in Cronulla against a team full of Anglo/white Australians and Cronulla crowd put up a chant of Aussie Aussie Aussie,what do you think the intent would be genius? Ummm....to imply that the Lebenese Australians are not Australian maybe? It would be an outrageous insult and it would likely start a riot.

In no way does that mean i'm against non-white Americans. If you actually read what I wrote it says if they are OFFENDED by the chant of their OWN NATIONS name, than yes they should be living somewhere else. So easy to scream 'HAH you're a racist,' isn't it? Nice try.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

They certainly are

Are you serious?

In no way does that mean i'm against non-white Americans. If you actually read what I wrote it says if they are OFFENDED by the chant of their OWN NATIONS name, than yes they should be living somewhere else. So easy to scream 'HAH you're a racist,' isn't it? Nice try.

And the "supposedly" .

They are offended when the chant of their OWN NATIONS name is used to imply that that are not American. Its an insult and a taunt.

If you cant see that then you are beyond a 'nationalist'.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Explanation: St*rred!

Here is what OL found within the 1st 400 [out of 2000+] newest comments to the linked Article supplied in the OP of this thread.

I can not confirm them ... but it looks to me like the pot is calling the kettle black!

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Was the highschool representing our country against Estonia or Slovakia's team?

If not, then how would you interpret such chants when their mostly "Caucasian" team won against what I can only assume was a mostly Mexican-American team?

I get where they are coming from, it would make me feel pretty crappy if I was Mexican-American, born in this country and spoke English natively. When I lived in Arizona, I had a lot of Mexican-American friends who didn't speak a lick of Spanish.

So, what's left to assume?

Was it their jerseys that made one team more "American" than the other?
-No, two American high schools.

Was it how they played the game that made one team more "American" than the other?
-No, I'm pretty sure they both played the same.

Was it the way they wore their hat?

Give me a break...when you remove all other identical aspects, only one variable was different: ethnicity.

So, yeah, I see where they're coming from.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Far out. Lay of the national pride a bit...What reason was their to start chanting USA, other then the crowd thinking the other team didn't fit into that image? A wining team starting a USA chant when both teams are American, except one team isn't Caucasian. Don't trade humanity for patriotism

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Last time I checked it was still the USA...
I Love this country!

USA USA USA USA USA USA

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I'm a black American and I've been told to "go back to my country" from white people while I was younger. As I already said... I'm American... this is my country. Were these remarks I received racist? Same thing here!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
Last time I checked it was still the USA...
I Love this country!

USA USA USA USA USA USA

So you just break out in spontaneous USA USA USA chants that makes no sense in any way? Are Americans so intoxicated by patriotism that they get confused? America didnt win.
It was a taunt and an insult.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by getreadyalready

It sounds like the intended it to be racist, and so, therefore, it was racist. If they would have been chanting it after a 4th of July celebration, or watching soldiers arrive back into port it would not be racist, but if they were intentionally chanting it at a bunch of Hispanics, then it was intentionally...... racist.

Hispanic AMERICANS! Are hispanic American's LESS AMERICAN than white Americans? Besides, it was the audience who started the chant.

It is never the words; it is always the intent behind the words.

So PC has eaten our brains!

See my above statement. It's clearly seen that this was meant to be a remark to the Latino Americans that they are not wanted because of their ethnic background differences. This was not an innocent display. This was not a USA team that beat a Mexico team. This was a crowd of people pretty much telling those Latino kids to "go back to their country". Same issue that I've had while I was young.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You know what would be great? If people would forget about these invisible lines we have drawn around ourselves, and instead of chanting USA!USA!USA! or MEXICO!MEXICO!MEXICO!, we could just chant EARTH!EARTH!EARTH! or HUMANS!HUMANS!HUMANS!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The clearest way to look at this is by asking, "Why chant usa?". It was a game between two local schools, so why usa? Chant the team name, the school name, that makes sense. But usa? That would be like if I won say a chess match with some guy in Ohio and the crowd cheered planet Earth, planet Earth! Just doesn't add up.

On the flip side, though, if the crowd was chanting Mexico, we would be told it was just healthy pride in their heritage.
edit on 8-3-2012 by notquiteright because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You're the reason racism still exist...I'm not sure of your race or nationality but this is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and our citizens are protected by the 1st Amendment...pick up the Constitution and read it! This event was NOT racist..this was two PUBLIC, AMERICAN TAX PAYER, FUNDED SCHOOLS and they have the right to cheer on their school and OUR country.

I'll quote my father, who's parents were Italian immirgrants, "If you don't like what America stands for...GET OUT...we don't want you here".

I'm sure almost everyone on ATS read this article about 3 students, and I believe 1 or 2 of them was hispanic, were suspended for wearing USA T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday..NOT a USA holiday!! And then their lives were threatened!! THIS IS AMERICA..if you don't have pride in our STARS and STRIPES LEAVE!!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

YES!! EVERYDAY WE CELEBRATE OUR FREEDOM BECAUSE OUR FOUNDING FATHERS AND THOUSANDS OF MEN DIED FOR OUR FREEDOM AND CONSTITUTION...IT'S CALL PRIDE ZOMBIE!

USA !! USA !! USA!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join