It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges of Racism for Chanting USA…In America!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I'm white, and I took french in high-school. I think it is you who might need an english to english translation. I don't know why you would ask me if I expected illegal/legal immigrants in the Border States to be Japanese etc... Why would you ask me this?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

See I don't know their intentions, I was not there, I am not them. My logic however cannot even begin to connect the dots as to how nationalism can be connected to racism.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

My logic however cannot even begin to connect the dots as to how nationalism can be connected to racism.

Well, how does your logic connect nationalism to a regular high school basketball game between rival schools in the same local? Can you make any sense out of that? I can't.

But, when I also find out that the rival school is mostly Hispanic, and the winning school is mostly white, and there is an illegal immigration problem in the area, then the picture gets quite a bit more clear.

Either way, it takes some logical assumptions, but one assumption makes sense and the other one is just kooky. Who chants USA at a high school basketball game? Obviously the racist undertone scenario makes more sense.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I'm white, and I took french in high-school.

To assume that those who speak Spanish as their native language aren't white, seems a bit racist to me.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 7-3-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

You tell me.

What do you suppose their intentions were. Both schools were from the USA. One team was victorious. They had choices as to how to show their emotion and approval. They could have chanted their team name, or their team mascot, or just whooped and hollered, but instead they chose to chant USA. Do you suppose it was intended as a big, warm, friendly show of unity with their rival brown-skinned team? If that is what you honestly believe, then say so. Tell us there is no chance it was intended as racist, it was just pure ol' patriotism at a Texas basketball game, and show us where they chanted the same thing after other victories over rival white teams.

Let me chime in Getready, if I can........

The problem is EVERYTHING is considered racist,nowadays. I am of mixed decent,and I CANT even say our President is an idiot,without someone playing the "race" card. Ironic,right? Every "ism" is being played,to the point where its becoming the most used card in the deck. Yes,is it insensitive? Maybe. But people need to grow some thicker skin,instead of "crying" to the PC Police every time someone "says" something they consider insensitive..Case in point,Westboro Baptist Church...... My grandfather used to laugh,and tell me the old saying...."Sticks and stones may break my bones , But words will never hurt me". Really,people NEED to grow up.......

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I totally agree. People really need to grow up. The PC crowd has ruined the nation, and now the anti-PC crowd is just about as damaging.

Racism does exist, in limited quantities here and there, it's part of life, deal with it. There are laws in place to protect people in housing and employment sectors, but other than that we will never wipe it out.

I'm not defending the sensitive nancies that got offended by the chant. They should just suck it up, but I am also not going to play naive and pretend it was not done intentionally. They said it to be racist. Wear it. They were making fun of the hispanic team they had just defeated. Fine, just don't pretend it's something else.

In fact, to be even more racist, Hispanics are not known for being basketball stars!
How much pride can a white team really take from defeating an Hispanic team? IF they beat them in Soccer, Baseball, or Boxing, then they should celebrate. Beating them in basketball is kind of a moot point.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The anti-PC people are created by the blowback on this war on mentality lol. People kinda get tired of having to walk on eggshells so as not to offend 23904823048923 groups of people. Meanwhile we got racist people hiding and pulling the race card every chance they get. Sexist people pulling the sexism card every chance they get. It's enough to make me, a half white man's head explode. I just said enough is enough, I will speak my mind, you don't like it, don't hang with me I guess. And let me tell you, I am a much less stressed out guy now lmao.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

What? lol
Who tainted the water around here?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

I totally agree. People really need to grow up. The PC crowd has ruined the nation, and now the anti-PC crowd is just about as damaging.

Racism does exist, in limited quantities here and there, it's part of life, deal with it. There are laws in place to protect people in housing and employment sectors, but other than that we will never wipe it out.

I'm not defending the sensitive nancies that got offended by the chant. They should just suck it up, but I am also not going to play naive and pretend it was not done intentionally. They said it to be racist. Wear it. They were making fun of the hispanic team they had just defeated. Fine, just don't pretend it's something else.

In fact, to be even more racist, Hispanics are not known for being basketball stars!
How much pride can a white team really take from defeating an Hispanic team? IF they beat them in Soccer, Baseball, or Boxing, then they should celebrate. Beating them in basketball is kind of a moot point.

Star for ya.....

My ONLY problem is that those who chanted it,racial undertones or not, are being subjugated to a PENALTY.

Unconstitutional,in MY opinion.

edit on 7-3-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Yeah... I was just picking at you.
Having lived in Spain for 3 years, I just couldn't resist.

I reckon I should say something about the topic:
I imagine the chanting started with a few that may have had bigoted intentions, and the rest of the "gang" just got caught up in it without thinking. Stuff happens...

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

There's no penalty to speak of. They just issued an apology, nothing more.

Re-reading the article though, something different stood out. The rival school was "all minorities." #1, if they were "all" then they weren't really a minority were they? And, how does a school become completely non-white? That should be concerning in a reverse racism kind of way. Are white kids not allowed or accepted in the rival school?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

lamo Heights has apologized to SAISD and the students identified will also have to apologize and have been banned from the state title games.

That is what got my gruff up.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

There's no penalty to speak of. They just issued an apology, nothing more.

Re-reading the article though, something different stood out. The rival school was "all minorities." #1, if they were "all" then they weren't really a minority were they? And, how does a school become completely non-white? That should be concerning in a reverse racism kind of way. Are white kids not allowed or accepted in the rival school?

Actually,The students that "supposedly" chanted,are not allowed at the State Championships.......

They earned it. I believe this is public schooling,not "private" schools.............I dont know the bylaws that students had to sign in some handbook,but regardless.stiff fine for freedom of speech.

And yes,all non-white school?

Ironic,isn't it ?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

"We have shouted it out at other games against WHITE teams and at pep rallies, and it is in not being r acist towards anyone. I am w hite and my best friend happens to be a Hispanic. We are all Americans are we not? We should not be calling the whole community of Alamo Heights r acist, when it was only three students starting the chant, and one of them being Hispanic. You also forgot to explain in your news story that Edison chanted Alamo W hites. It seems odd that you only told half of the story of what actually happened. Edison also made a rude remark about one of our paralyzed students, Eddie Moreno, calling him "r etarded.""

Found that comment quite interesting indeed. Would be nice if it can be verified.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
They should have shouted USA right back at them.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

The one thing I love most about American patriotism, is its' degree of consistency. You will not see a single American flag being waved (or burned for that matter) which was not made in China. As such, American nationalism is truly inspiring.
edit on 7-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by Kali74

The one thing I love most about American patriotism, is its' degree of consistency. You will see a single American flag being waved (or burned for that matter) which was not made in China. As such, American nationalism is truly inspiring.

Alot of flags are made in USA..I get what you are implying tho

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

Alamo Heights Superintendent Dr. Kevin Brown also apologized for the chant.

Now what was that chant ...

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.

And Dr Brown went on to say ...

"We just hope that people know that that's not who we are and we're not going to let it happen again," Brown said.

Okayyyyyyyyyyy! So is that code for "High schools in the USA are not part of the USA?"!

Personal Disclosure:
If that IS the case then maybe a discussion on the ...

Pledge of Allegiance (USA) [wiki]

Congressional sessions open with the recital of the Pledge, as do government meetings at local levels, and meetings held by many private organizations. It is also commonly recited in school at the beginning of every school day, although the Supreme Court has ruled on several occasions that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge, or punished for not doing so.

... would be in order!

edit on 7-3-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix falied quote bbcode.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well, if the other team were all American citizens, it is extremely hard to say that this was "racist." I'm sure they intended it that way, but it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, as they could say they were just proud of their country, or equivalent.

The only reason this is such a hot-button issue is that our borders are stretched to thin regarding protection from invasion, and illegal citizens coming into the country is exactly that: invasion. They may not be killing Americans, although some are, but they are putting even more strain on our economy, which at this point is still in the dumps despite what the government or the MSM says.

If you feel "offended" by someone chanting "USA,USA", then you need to LEAVE the USA if you are a citizen. If not, then you have ZERO right to complain.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
are you insane. chant go usa when the dream team is playing china, or at the olympics.

when the united states is actually playing in something.

by chanting usa at other americans like they're not from the same country because of their background and using the name of your country in a hateful and racist way dishonors everything about the country.

this is for every think headed dunce in america: there are only two qualifications for someone to be american: they were born on american soil or their parents are american.

skin color, heritage, background does not make you american.

black, chinese, latino or white you're all the same (fill in the blank.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join