It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges of Racism for Chanting USA…In America!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Doesn't look or sound racist to me.

That's just because you don't know the "code". In my high school, I remember every time our team would score an important point against the black team, some kids on our side would sing out "Love that chicken from Popeyes" song from the Popeyes commercial. It was code for "we know you blacks love fried chicken, so go ahead and get you some to make yourselves feel better, 'cause we're kicking your A**. It sounds harmless on its own, but the intent to be racist was definitely there. Of course, the world was less PC back then, so no one got into trouble for it - but make no mistake - it was racist.

They used to also bring watermelon slices to the game. Nothing wrong with a little watermelon snack, right?

edit on 8-3-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

Insults, the fallback of a weak mind.... I can think of many stereotypes for hispanics, being automatically illegal doesn't happen to be one of them.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

You are talking about two completely separate issues. Making a negative comment about a person based off of their race is, by definition, racist.

Even though there must be more to this than we are hearing still what they were chanting cannot be racist.

First: U.S.A is not a race.

Second: They all live in the U.S.A.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

Your interrpretation of what i said is so far off base there is no point in me correcting it. Wow. Talking about reading and understanding something wrong ... wow.

Wow ... i mean ... you have to be in a total completely different kind of world to get that kind of interrpretation.

I think , im just going to drop it , some people you just need to avoid with their mind set.

edit on 8-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So some guy on the internet said he heard some radio show on some channel say something about "whitey"

Come on...where is the video of the opposing team chanting "whitey".

I know you guys wouldn't claim they did it without some proof of it just to use as deflection...would you???

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

They used to also bring watermelon slices to the game. Nothing wrong with a little watermelon snack, right?

That is a perfect example.

But I'm sure some here would still not see that as racism...an entire student section eating watermelon...maybe they just like watermelon

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher

You are talking about two completely separate issues. Making a negative comment about a person based off of their race is, by definition, racist.

Even though there must be more to this than we are hearing still what they were chanting cannot be racist.

You're still not getting what I'm saying. Do you think this was the first time these schools have ever played each other? It is most likely a rivalry going back many years. There is a history between these two schools. There has most likely been many confrontations between players, students, etc. They have probably come right out and told the Hispanic students to go back to Mexico and leave USA to the people who belong here.

There's nothing overtly racist about liking fried chicken either. It is a Southern delicacy that many people - black and white - love. There is nothing overtly racist about eating a slice of watermelon. I love watermelon myself - eat it all the time. But you do it during a game with blacks, and there is a message there, and trust me, the blacks knew it.

There is nothing wrong with being patriotic. There is nothing inherently wrong with chanting "USA" - UNLESS you are chanting it to let the Hispanics know that only the whites have rights to this country.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by Malcher

Your interrpretation of what i said is so far off base there is no point in me correcting it. Wow. Talking about reading and understanding something wrong ... wow.

Wow ... i mean ... you have to be in a total completely different kind of world to get that kind of interrpretation.

I think , im just going to drop it , some people you just need to avoid with their mind set.

edit on 8-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

In my world freedom applies to everyone, in your world freedom applies to your interpretation of peoples intent or some code.

Why dont you tell us where in the U.S.A it is ok to say U.S.A.

I am serious, tell us.

Can i chant U.S.A while i am standing at a urinal?

Can i chant U.S.A while i am in a crowd of people?

Really i am wondering where you ALLOW the in initials of a country to be said and what is the criteria. We need a handbook.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by seabag

It sounds like the intended it to be racist, and so, therefore, it was racist. If they would have been chanting it after a 4th of July celebration, or watching soldiers arrive back into port it would not be racist, but if they were intentionally chanting it at a bunch of Hispanics, then it was intentionally...... racist.

It is never the words; it is always the intent behind the words.

So if the other team had won and started waving the flag of Mexico would that of been racist too?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So some guy on the internet said he heard some radio show on some channel say something about "whitey"

YUP!

Come on...where is the video of the opposing team chanting "whitey".

I don’t have one…nor will I search around the net to appease you. The two sources for that assertion are good enough for me.

I know you guys wouldn't claim they did it without some proof of it just to use as deflection...would you???

I didn’t include that info in the OP.

It was presented throughout the discussion an seems to make sense. Then budro (some guy on ATS) said he heard it discussed on the radio. Sounds good enough for me!

Anyway, when I made the OP I did so without that information and I still question the outrage over the chants, so whether the subsequent info is accurate or not it doesn’t make a difference to me; I still think it’s ridiculous to apologize for people chanting USA in the USA!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by seabag

It sounds like the intended it to be racist, and so, therefore, it was racist. If they would have been chanting it after a 4th of July celebration, or watching soldiers arrive back into port it would not be racist, but if they were intentionally chanting it at a bunch of Hispanics, then it was intentionally...... racist.

It is never the words; it is always the intent behind the words.

So if the other team had won and started waving the flag of Mexico would that of been racist too?

I dunno would it? Is it a dig at the white team? It would be offensive to me, but it doesn't seem racist to me, but that is just me of course. I would be offended about any US school waving around a Mexican flag, but it wouldn't make me feel worse about myself, so I wouldn't consider it racist. Actually, I would consider it treasonous!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

You're still not getting what I'm saying. Do you think this was the first time these schools have ever played each other? It is most likely a rivalry going back many years. There is a history between these two schools. There has most likely been many confrontations between players, students, etc. They have probably come right out and told the Hispanic students to go back to Mexico and leave USA to the people who belong here.

There's nothing overtly racist about liking fried chicken either. It is a Southern delicacy that many people - black and white - love. There is nothing overtly racist about eating a slice of watermelon. I love watermelon myself - eat it all the time. But you do it during a game with blacks, and there is a message there, and trust me, the blacks knew it.

There is nothing wrong with being patriotic. There is nothing inherently wrong with chanting "USA" - UNLESS you are chanting it to let the Hispanics know that only the whites have rights to this country.

You are reading into things way too much and inserting other instances where people where being racist and actually saying things that are racist. [strawman]

But you do not know the history between these schools except to say "most likely". Do you have proof the other side made racist comments or there is a history of this from them?
edit on 8-3-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

When it comes down to codes, then we are just getting silly, and anything can be interpreted as racist.

And what are the odds that the other school was putting out their own racist code?

This is just over the line.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Insults, the fallback of a weak mind.... I can think of many stereotypes for hispanics, being automatically illegal doesn't happen to be one of them.
It's not an insult, because you are by definition, ignorant.

It has nothing to do with your argument (or what passes for one), it has to do with your inability to understand my (among other's) arguments. Again, your post is irrelevant. Stereotypes don't stop existing just because one person is clueless about them.

If you still can't get it after that, then maybe someone who's experienced in dealing with the extremely ignorant can explain it you better. That, or I could just post examples of people of people talking about that stereotype.
edit on 8-3-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
RACIST??? The word actually suggests that it has something to do with race, so how does anyone get racism from the name of a country? At worst, it could be called nationalism, but don't we encourage nationalism? The slow twisting of words' meanings is just one more step towards fascism, but I thought fascists encourage nationalism as well. What about people that fly the mexican, or any other nation's flag for that matter, inside of the United States, is this a rascist statement?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
After watching the video
and contemplating this
for an hour, I am going
to have to respectfully
say, this is total nonsense.

Total non-sense that anyone
was *offended*. It is clear in the
video, they were just excited
about winning, the fans were excited
about winning.

I think the other team was butt hurt about
loosing. Just a case of a sore looser.

The only thing fueling this was that they felt
bad about loosing, so they take the anger out
by spouting the racist card.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Sorry to break it to you, but hurling the word ignorant at people is an insult.... I may disagree with some people's opinions here, but I don't spout off and start name calling like some people have a habit of doing. Maybe you should chill out?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

You are reading into things way too much and inserting other instances where people where being racist and actually saying things that are racist. [strawman]

But you do not know the history between these schools except to say "most likely". Do you have proof the other side made racist comments or there is a history of this from them?
edit on 8-3-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

I didn't say it was an absolute fact. I said I believed it - it's my opinion, based on my own personal experiences with rival schools, subtle racist messaging between schools, and the racism I have personally witnessed between whites and Hispanics in Texas, especially in San Antonio, which has a high Hispanic population. I don't live in San Antonio, so I'm not personally involved with these schools. But I know that the same schools play each other every year, so I know that this is not the first time they have come across each other. My opinion is just as valid as your opinion.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

I think the other team was butt hurt about loosing. Just a case of a sore looser.

The only thing fueling this was that they felt bad about loosing, so they take the anger out
by spouting the racist card.

I think you’re absolutely right!

Kind of like the losers who flocked to OWS that can’t figure out how to earn a damn living and think people who can owe them something. They call everyone who can earn a living and doesn’t think America is evil a 1%er!

Got it! Makes sense!

When you’re 'butt hurt' you just need to make enough noise and people will move mountains to help you out! That’s much easier than actually being an adult and living within the norms of society.
edit on 8-3-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Anyway, the Liberal Thought Police strike again. When will people realize how fascist it is to ban people from games for chanting USA.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join