It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges of Racism for Chanting USA…In America!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
PS remember the Alamo, there is a bit of history there.
edit on 7-3-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

There certainly is a bit of history there, do you mind explaining what a battle in 1836 has to do with a group of high school students chanting "USA" in 2012?

Do you think anyone of those students knows anything about that battle?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

But, their intentions were exactly the same, so what is the difference? They were masking their intentions enough to warrant the contraversy and give them plausible deniability, but it seems fairly obvious that when they chanted "USA USA" what they meant was "Our White School is better than your Hispanic School." If there intentions were the same, does it really matter that they loosely masked it behind different words?

The problem with this is "USA"≠ White.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
The truth hurts don't it. I guess I'm a racist, and if you think so, then I will Wear it PROUDLY !! I'm white and born in the USA a Vet and make NO APOLOGY FOR IT !!! Take your cowardly political correctness and stuff it..!!

See, that is the attitude the white school should have had! Instead, they are trying to pretend their intentions were innocent and it was all a big misunderstanding. They should just stand up and say they don't like illegal immigration, and they are proud of their own heritage ane everyone else can stuff it!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

But, their intentions were exactly the same, so what is the difference? They were masking their intentions enough to warrant the contraversy and give them plausible deniability, but it seems fairly obvious that when they chanted "USA USA" what they meant was "Our White School is better than your Hispanic School." If there intentions were the same, does it really matter that they loosely masked it behind different words?

I do not believe there intentions
were bad If anyone has proof that
they really meant to say Mexican Suck*
then I would like to see it...

These peoples intentions I believe
was all in good fun.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

so you know what there intentions where really, this is in no way racist. this is a perfect example of the pussification of america people get butt hurt over the smallest things

www.youtube.com...3

there chanting USA after bin laden was killed is that racist?

how can say you know what their intentions where, you have no idea what their intentions where, how is this any different then when people celebrate after the world cup, or a yankees "suck" chant at a red sox game

and for everyone who says that people don't know anything about their own country and the history and politics that pretty damn ignorant what makes you think people don't know their own countries history, when did it all of a sudden come about that all americans are idiots? i gurantee people in Texas know more about the Alamo then anyone else in the country

everything now a days is considered to be racist but in reality it is just people who are so stuck on being PC that you can't say anything withouth being accused of it meaning something else

people on here are also right when they say that if instead of the USA chant it was people from the opposing team chanting something else like "viva mexico" then it wouldnt be looked at as racist but at symbolic for their heritage

stop being so damn politcally correct
edit on 8-3-2012 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by Nucleardiver

It can be when part of our national debate Involves the citizenship of people in this country and is aimed predominantly at Mexicans, i.e. Hispanics, who have been accused of not being loyal to this country.

And yet in this example they continue to show their disloyalty to this country. They are living here, whether legally or not, so obviously the USA has something to offer them that there country of origin didn't. Yet they are "offended" by the chanting of the name of the nation they live in......... yeah, great way to increase the perception of their loyalty and help put an end to the accusations of disloyalty.

When my ancestors immigrated to this country they were not offended by hearing USA. They would have joined in the chant because they were proud of the country they had migrated to and were grateful of the opportunity. My heritage, mostly Irish, also suffered their fair share of racism directed toward them but they chose to ignore it and move on.

The difference between now and then is they were proud to assimilate into the country, where it seems most now want the benefits of coming here yet want to be known first as their heritage and secondly as American.

Exactly. I don't get how anyone could be offended about chanting USA. There was an incident in Benicia, CA, on cinco de mayo, where four american kids went to school wearing american flag themed clothes, I think two had shirts that had the american flag, one had a hat that said USA, the other had american flag shorts. The rest of the school was covered in Mexican flags, and the majority of the school came to school wearing Mexican flag themed clothes, and actual flags on big staffs. Apparently these four kids were asked to leave, for wearing the american flag clothes, because it was deemed offensive. They refused, and were suspended for like 2 weeks or something, it was a huge deal, and it pretty much blew me away. I wonder how often this type of stuff goes on.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Do we support a one world government or not?

If someone from China goes to a soccer match in Brazil or U.K is it racist to have thousands of their flags displayed and flags bopping up and down in peoples hands?

Lets see, U.S.A or the people in the U.S.A do not belong to the U.S.A race...or do they? Not as far as i know.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bphi1908

do you know anything about the Battle of the Alamo, because i bet they know much more then you seeing as how it is something that most texans take pride in is remembering the Alamo

is it racist when olympic fans who are american chant USA after we take gold in an event because i mean there are people from all over the world at those events?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Everyone has a different idea of what "good fun" is. The story below details what a couple of guys in Jasper, TX did for fun.

www.msnbc.msn.com... ife/t/years-later-dragging-death-changes-town/

There is no excuse for racism whether masked or not. I am all for getting rid of this PC culture that has developed in recent years but this is not political correctness this was racist, shameful and stupid.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

is it racist when olympic fans who are american chant USA after we take gold in an event because i mean there are people from all over the world at those events?

Of course not, because they are chanting the name of their own team. It is not intended to be racist, it is intended to be patriotic, and it is part of the festivities, and it makes perfect sense.

It makes no sense to chant it at high school basketball team between two teams from the same nation. Each team has a name, and a mascot, and they have plenty of appropriate things to chant, but they chose "USA." Why did they choose "USA" when it was irrelavent to the participants in the game? Oh, I know why, because they wanted to jab the heritage of the other team that was perceived to be less than American.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

It sounds like the intended it to be racist, and so, therefore, it was racist. If they would have been chanting it after a 4th of July celebration, or watching soldiers arrive back into port it would not be racist, but if they were intentionally chanting it at a bunch of Hispanics, then it was intentionally...... racist.

It is never the words; it is always the intent behind the words.

BS GRARdy this was a display of National Pride.

What is different than everybody pretending to be Mexican on May 5th

Racism and National Pride are 2 different topics of Discussion. One of which we all better start a dialog about without fear of somebody censorship.

reply to post by seabag

Good thread seabag Speech and Persona are very much in Censorship in the Homeland of America
I am White and I am proud of my Heritage. USA USA USA and my comments ONLY mean what they say
edit on 8-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
So what if this is racist? Why is this even news? Can people still have actual views nowadays? Or must everyone be a drone?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm so sick of this world and it's over policed politically correct nonsense.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

so if the other team was chanting Viva Mexico it would have been ok though right

2nd

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550

so if the other team was chanting Viva Mexico it would have been ok though right

2nd

Yes....because they aren't chanting USA. If you chant USA, you obviously are a racist.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

the intent was? The intent behind the chant is what determines whether or not it was bigoted.

Awfully hard to judge that from second or third hand...

PC'ness is running rampant...but sometimes it is bigotry. Is it in this case? Surely looks like it to me. But a second or third hand account makes it hard to know with any certainty.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It makes no sense to chant it at high school basketball team between two teams from the same nation.

Hog wash thats a load of crap!
and you are speculating. also a load of crap!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

BS GRARdy this was a display of National Pride.

If that is true, then I will retract all of my previous opinions. Obviously there is nothing at all wrong with National Pride.

I think you might be wearing rose-colored glasses, but maybe not. I LOVE high school sports, and I've attended hundreds of events, and I've seen championships won and lost, and buzzer-beaters, and walk-off homeruns, and state records fall, and first-time undefeated seasons, and not once have I ever heard a chant of "USA-USA." For that reason, calling this "a display of National Pride" is a hard pill to swallow, but I hope you are right.

Now, my hometown of Webb City, MO did play in the Little League World Series several years back, and I only got to watch it on TV, but there were definitely some chants of USA there, but it made perfect sense at the time. This OP makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bphi1908
reply to post by popsmayhem

Everyone has a different idea of what "good fun" is. The story below details what a couple of guys in Jasper, TX did for fun.

www.msnbc.msn.com... ife/t/years-later-dragging-death-changes-town/

There is no excuse for racism whether masked or not. I am all for getting rid of this PC culture that has developed in recent years but this is not political correctness this was racist, shameful and stupid.

So then the other team could have chanted U.S.A as well because that is where they live. If a Polish person went to Mexico and people were chanting 'Mexico' at a high school event should the Polish person be offended?

If you had a school with Korean kids in Mexico, the korean kids live in Mexico, is it racist to say the word 'Mexico'?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So is it racist to sing the national anthem before sporting events?

Might as well be after this story.

Eta...I actually don't understand where the national anthem became mainstay in USA before sporting events anyway.

Anyone?

edit on 8-3-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join