It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges of Racism for Chanting USA…In America!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In San Antonio, Texas, students and their school are getting some negative publicity over the audience chanting “USA USA USA” after a high school basketball game. Apparently one of the teams was predominantly Caucasian while the other team was predominately Hispanic. Both teams represent American schools and have American students!!

A local school district is apologizing after an apparent incident of racism at a boys high school basketball game this past weekend. When the final whistle blew Saturday, Alamo Heights celebrated a convincing victory over San Antonio Edison. Alamo Heights Head Coach Andrew Brewer said he was proud of his team.

"Tremendously proud,” Brewer said. “Tremendously. It's the best group of kids."

But it was just after the trophy presentation when the coach was not proud of the chant coming from Alamo Heights fans.

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.
link and video

OK…sounds like a motivated crowd at an American sporting event, right!
WRONG!!!

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.

On the KSAT 12 Defenders Facebook page, Santos Villarreal's post reads “this has to stop.”

SAISD Spokeswoman Leslie Price heard about the incident after it had happened.

"This is very disrespectful to our students,” Price said.

The coach, school principle and the entire school district have made public apologies for the chants of “USA USA”. What is wrong with us as a country? Has PC completely eaten our brains?? This blows my mind.

What say you? Was this outrageous or insulting behavior?

+55 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It sounds like the intended it to be racist, and so, therefore, it was racist. If they would have been chanting it after a 4th of July celebration, or watching soldiers arrive back into port it would not be racist, but if they were intentionally chanting it at a bunch of Hispanics, then it was intentionally...... racist.

It is never the words; it is always the intent behind the words.

+26 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

So they were all illegals from mexico or something? Last time I checked, hispanics can be americans....

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Both teams are American. One white the other hispanic. Are we suppose to believe that it was a out of the blue rush of American pride? Come on we all know what was going on. People are jerks.
edit on 7-3-2012 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not really. We have a large amount of illegals in this area that are cared for care of the US government better then it's own citizens.

PS remember the Alamo, there is a bit of history there.
edit on 7-3-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

What he is saying is there is probably pretext to the incident. If the other school has a reputation for a lot of minorities it may have a nickname like "Little Bangladesh", "Little Havana", etc.

If that is the case, and it's known between both parties, chanting like that could be inflammatory.

The news should be providing some backstory to it.

If it is just that the school has minorities than even still it seems overboard to criticize. The other school just needs to wait until they win and do the same thing back.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Even if that was the case, screaming USA after winning is not inflamatory. Happens all the times in the olympics etc right?

They are chanting USA not KKK, or GO BACK HOME or some nonesense....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeah, at a first glance it seems to be a sad state of affairs.

It reminds me of when I was a kid. I used to swear at a lot people and when I got in trouble, I would say, "Come on?! I called him a silly buck. You heard wrong."

This is pretty much the same: Except, this profanity is further ethnic divisions, and the blatant lie is patriotism.

[Sorry, feel quite opinionated this evening
]

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It sounds like the intended it to be racist, and so, therefore, it was racist. If they would have been chanting it after a 4th of July celebration, or watching soldiers arrive back into port it would not be racist, but if they were intentionally chanting it at a bunch of Hispanics, then it was intentionally...... racist.

Hispanic AMERICANS! Are hispanic American's LESS AMERICAN than white Americans? Besides, it was the audience who started the chant.

So PC has eaten our brains!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by seabag

I agree, its the intent, and the intent here, looks like to oust the hispanics, and imply that they aren't American, and implying that the white team is America, based off the rascist notion that true Americans are white.
edit on 7-3-2012 by andersensrm because: grammer

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Problem is that the US Federal Government favors illegals especially in the school system. I am not saying this is right. But do consider how they have flooded the land and education system. Its a big problem and it unfortunately will lead to violence in the future.

Now me personally I have nothing against them, unless they are criminals. But if I walked down my own street I could not count the number of illegals on both hands. Not to mention that many of them don't speak english nor even attempt to learn it or anything about this country.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Are hispanic American's LESS AMERICAN than white Americans?

Apparently the audience thought so. Why didn't they chant the name of the team that won, or the school name? This was an intentional dig at the ethnic team. At the very LEAST, it's not good sportsmanship, and should have been apologized for.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It's pretty clear that the intent here was to show support for the Caucasian team by chanting "USA, USA," and discourage the minority team. How often do people cheer, "USA, USA" at other all American sporting events, especially if its two teams of prominent white or black players? What the audience did was crude and absolutely racist considering they divided the two teams by ethnicity, rather than school. It wasn't a match between a Mexican and American team, it was a match between two American schools.

Don't let your patriotism blind you, this was a racist act. If I were one of the players on the minority team I would feel alienated, especially knowing that the perception of Mexican immigrants in southern states is rather negative. There are many Hispanic-Americans living in Texas who are legally here, and may even have been here for generations. In other words, American does not mean Caucasian; these people, however, gave it that definition and therefore should be reprimanded.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Many here are here legally. Many are not. But in no way are they to be considered a minority anymore in the state of Texas.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
reply to post by seabag

Both teams are American. One white the other hispanic. Are we suppose to believe that it was a out of the blue rush of American pride? Come on we all know what was going on. People are jerks.

I guess I’m just surprised that chanting “USA USA USA” ANYWHERE in America could be frowned upon.

I live in Texas and I can attest that many Hispanics here (and I’m sure in other places) refuse to fully assimilate. Many fly Mexican flags and many speak little to no English. I wouldn’t be offended if the Hispanic team chanted “MEXICO” after their win? They can chant whatever they want! Maybe they’re proud of their Mexican heritage! So what?

Do you think that would have made the news? I doubt it!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm agreeing with seabag.

Someone hold me. I'm scared. This has never happened before.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by MrSpad
reply to post by seabag

I guess I’m just surprised that chanting “USA USA USA” ANYWHERE in America could be frowned upon.

I live in Texas and I can attest that many Hispanics here (and I’m sure in other places) refuse to fully assimilate. Many fly Mexican flags and many speak little to no English. I wouldn’t be offended if the Hispanic team chanted “MEXICO” after their win? They can chant whatever they want! Maybe they’re proud of their Mexican heritage! So what?

Do you think that would have made the news? I doubt it!

Good point. There seems to be a double standard, but hey whats new.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by seabag

So the only time you can have pride in your country is on 4th of July or when greeting soldiers?......REALL?????

It is a sad state that our nation has arrived at, can't fly the flag in certain areas, can't chant USA, can't be proud of our nation.

Well here you go.....get ready....I must be one hell of a racist.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Now if someone doesn't like that then you can stick your opinion in the same place your head is obviously in. I served and sacrificed for my country, came home with a Purple Heart with Clusters and if anyone tries to tell me I can't chant USA! or show any other form of pride for my country then they may want to evac my vicintity. If they don'y like hearing it then my suggestion is get the hell out of this country.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

LOL they do that all the time.

Ever watched the World Cup with a bunch of Mexicans?

That is not to say that the illegals are predominately Mexican, because that too is a myth.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Not learning English and living in an area where Spanish is well spoken isn't an issue. As for not learning anything about this country, most Americans don't know anything about this country, from its politics to its history. People can't be dragged, kicking and screaming, down the path of wisdom; they must choose to walk it themselves. For this there is no help which can be given. We can make the resources available for people to learn, and we have, but it lies upon them to want to learn.

Not to mention, if they knew much about this country, they wouldn't come here in the first place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join