It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 million girls missing

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by morpheusxxz

I see, so a certain tradition leads to immoral actions.

And people wonder why I think tradition is useless.
edit on 8-3-2012 by antonia because: rawr

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
reply to post by TedHodgson

No worry there.
This really is a means of birth control.
40 million fewer women in India means 400 million fewer Indians.
They do not need more people, so this is good for them and good for the Earth.

Oh yeah? Such an absurd way to justify the pain of people who are victims of these evils. Just because you were accidentally born in a good society or country does not mean that you can make this comment about other unfortunate people.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
I too have read through this post (while working mind you) and the main thing that keeps coming to mind is that women should be in charge of this world. Intelligent and properly educated women who have a history of compassion. These women should outnumber men in all aspects of all societies. You can have a woman in charge of a country, but the fact remains that if she is profesionally surrounded by a majority of men......the majority ends up ruling in the end. The balance neds to be shifted IMO. Radically at first so that people can see the changes taking place, and then slowly integrate more men back into power.

It's no secret that men and women are going to have different perpectives on issues, and the fact remains that the majority of the world is run by men. And it's also no secret that the majority of the world is a f^$%&ed up place to live.MAybe this radical shift in the power structure would work......maybe it wouldn't. But we won't know unless we try. What have we got to lose?

Here's a link that I found interesting:

en.wikipedia.org...

Note China and India. maybe Morpheus can shed some lght on this because I'm taking the word "incumbant" in this context to mean "indefinate." Maybe I'm wrong?

Empowerment of women and giving them equal chance in government is good but the bigger problem here is the human greed and corruption. A government which is dominant by either of the gender but all of them think for betterment of people rather than being selfish and consumed by greed is much better than a government ran by both males and females equally but is full of scumbags and corrupts.

And talking about the main topic of female foeticide, even though the governments and educated people in cities now give more importance to females than before, most of the India's population still lives in rural areas with very little knowledge. And let alone these people, even the well educated families in cities are practicing dowry system and female foeticide. I have had debated on this very topic with my father many a times and he always says that dowry system is good since our ancestors must have made it for some good reasons, lol. They don't want to think on their own and break out of these shi# as they fear that something bad will happen to them. And there are many other superstitions they firmly believe in. Everyone is so blind that I have never seen any of my cousins or friends (who are very well educated) talking on this matter. They too believe in these things just because their parents and grand-parents do.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
30 years ago China enacted the 1 child policy. Today they have a severe shortage of females. Its really disturbing that in this era of life men still consider females as a staple a commodity. I can only see this as sinister and elitist type engineering. This is a complete depopulation movement without the foresight of the future outcome.
edit on 8-3-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
30 years ago China enacted the 1 child policy. Today they have a severe shortage of females. Its really disturbing that in this era of life men still consider females as a staple a commodity. I can only see this as sinister and elitist type engineering. This is a complete depopulation movement without the foresight of the future outcome.

Of course it is and they are still struggling with one of the largest populations on earth. So I don't see any great evils in trying to limit the number of children. But straight out aborting a child because it is female ? To me that's just horrendous. Morpheus sees this where most in his country don't. I think when you've grown up with things being a certain way it becomes hard to see that it may be wrong. Or it's just easier to leave things as they are.
edit on 8-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Has the thought not crossed your mind that maybe this is just more evidence that there is no such thing as god?

No why ? Should it ? Why would that cross my mind ?

Why??? It's called 'Logic'. Logic is the 'why'.
There is no reason to fear it.

I leave those thoughts to you..
Those = Rational?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Let's not stray too far from the Topic , Please.

40 million girls missing

TIA

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Of course it is and they are still struggling with one of the largest populations on earth. So I don't see any great evils in trying to limit the number of children. But straight out aborting a child because it is female ? To me that's just horrendous. Morpheus sees this where most in his country don't. I think when you've grown up with things being a certain way it becomes hard to see that it may be wrong. Or it's just easier to leave things as they are.
edit on 8-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

What is disturbing is when a depopulation occurs it is always the females or the lower class people who get sent to their death, be it through abortion, one child policy=possible girl so possible abortion. If they want to depopulate or slow the growth why not put something in their feed, oops I meant food sorry my bad. Anyhow your right its their right to choose how and who to limit the numbers.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Right, and have you been to the slums of Mumbai? That is an eye opener as you know but he rest of the world does not.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

What is disturbing is when a depopulation occurs it is always the females or the lower class people who get sent to their death, be it through abortion, one child policy=possible girl so possible abortion. If they want to depopulate or slow the growth why not put something in their feed, oops I meant food sorry my bad. Anyhow your right its their right to choose how and who to limit the numbers.

Careful the things you ask. You may not want to call attention to the obvious.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is horrible. Truly gut wrenching. Obviously doesn't only happen in India either. China is famous for it, but it's not so much killing fetuses as it's selling daughters into sex slave rings. Also common throughout Asia, parts of S America, and up through Latin America and Mexico. Just disgusting.

I would however like to say, while I'm glad there was a story on this, I'm pretty disappointed in the reporter. With such a story, you couldn't dig a little deeper? Could only come up with half a typed page? How about applying yourself a little more and finding out where many of these young girls end up? How about talking to a cop or government official in India to get their perspective? I'm shocked at how shallow this reporting is. Could of typed her story in five minutes on her iphone for all we know. I'd say that's even more disrespectful to these young girls, summarizing such a dreadful situation into a half page report.

My book reports in 2nd grade were more thorough.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Not so much a shortage as they sold many into international slavery.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
America needed something we could export again. Now we can export our women.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Dowry system and female foeticide are deeply connected and I suggest everyone to read about both to understand why this is happening and why both of these are required to be rooted off from this world.

Is the sociopolitical atmosphere in India one that would tolerate a protest?

END DOWRY SYSTEM

NOW!!

edit on 3/8/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/9/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Removed Size Modifier.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It isn't just that men are considered more valuable than women in India -- I'm referring to the practice of aborting female babies.

The real reason is that most families cannot afford the expense of providing a dowry for a girl. Without a substantial dowry, the girl does not have a good chance of marrying, muchless marrying well.
(In essence, the girl's family has to "buy" a husband for their daughter.)

Not that long ago, it wasn't just a dowry the girl's family had to provide: AFTER the marriage, EVERY three months, the girl's family had to come up with a gift to the husband. This would go on for the LIFE of the girl/woman. And if the husband's family considered the gift too small, the girl would be mistreated by her in-laws.

Hopefully, they have stopped this insane practice. Coming up with a dowry is bad enough, but a quarterly gift for life is almost incredible.

The son's family looks forward to receiving the traditional "gifts" and most will not give them up.
It's not enough that they have a slave for life.

Having a girl for a traditional East Indian family is a financial disaster.

Remember what happened to the "suttee" wives? These were girls who were married for their dowries then set on fire to die. If they did not die, they were thrown out -- badly scarred and forced to beg on the streets.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
men are good only if theres enough women around to give birth to them so having a pro male policy will eventually lead to there being no one around and the few remaining women will be treated like godessess

You wish. What is more likely to happen is the barbaric practice of polyandry -- where a girl is married to several men. So instead of being a slave to one man, the girl is a slave to several men.

In the countries where this is still practiced (such as Nepal), it is a nightmare for the girl.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Great post! I would also be interested to find out the stats on homosexuality in these areas and if it is openly accepted or not.

Traditional Hindu views were against homosexuality. Considered against nature.

As for the East Indian Muslims, I would imagine they were or have been influenced by the older Hindu culture.

I remember reading that the reason why good Muslims were promised 72 virgin girls in paradise was because the original promise included 28 young boys. In other words, a good Muslim was promised 100 sexual partners in paradise: 72 virgin girls and 28 young boys. (Probably from one of the hadiths, I don't remember it from the Qur'an.)

I think this has been "sanitized" over the centuries by most Muslim societies.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by randyvs

I think this is less a case of treating girls like they are worth less and more a case of trying to keep their population under control. Think about it, a population of 1.1 billion people. That's a ridiculous percentage of the entire worlds population, considering there is only about 7 billion people on the planet.
edit on 8-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

Ya with that many people one would think they should've done something a long time ago. That is a mess of people.

I read that 78% of India's population is illiterate. (I'm not sure how accurate this figure is now -- it may have fluctuated in the intervening years.) How do you disseminate contraceptive/family planning info to a largely illiterate population?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

Dowry system and female foeticide are deeply connected and I suggest everyone to read about both to understand why this is happening and why both of these are required to be rooted off from this world.

Is the sociopolitical atmosphere in India one that would tolerate a protest?

END DOWRY SYSTEM

NOW!!

India has several laws against demanding a dowry since 1961. These laws are simply ignored. When someone tries to enforce these laws, it hits the news. Some things take a looong time to change.
Talk about ancient cultures steeped in tradition.

But I suspect the real reason it doesn't change, is because most Indian men want dowries -- as much as they can get. So the real problem is greed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join