It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two questions about removing information from the internet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The first question actually pertains to this site. I'm trying to find out how I can delete photos from the old ATS media section?

The second question is how can I remove an old user name from showing up in search engines? I know I can't remove the information from the web, I just want to make it harder to find, and I don't want to pay for a service to do it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
for the first part i'd say a message to the mods/admins should start the process

and for the second i'd say adopt a new internet persona, think up a new internet id preferably close/same to plenty of other peoples names on the net so if they type it into google it will spew up their details and leave yours on page 395

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Not sure that you can "remove" an old username, but you can bury it under useless information.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Thats what I want to do, but how?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

you need to imagine that you are starting afresh so dont link to anything you previously have posted anywhere and try perhaps and alter your style of writing and if you live in one place but have enough knowledge of somewhere else then pretend that you live there so that anyone looking for 'amaster living in x-county' will not link themselves with 'amaster living in y-county'

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

I would guess a starting spot would be to register as many places as possible with that name and just link useless information to it, or fake information, or anything that is both similar and polar opposite of what you are trying to bury. The more hits the better so that a search would bring up all the useless accounts and not your old one. Maybe just start with registering a bunch of online sites (if you're really worried, go to the local wi-fi spot and do it from there) and then either fill the profiles with fake info. or just leave it empty. The idea is to create a spider-web of trails so that even if the searches do land on your old account, they wouldn't know it for sure given all the others. That's just off the top of my head, maybe someone else will have a better, less time intensive, idea.
edit on 7-3-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

top topics

join